Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Trip report & crazy questions...

  • henk.auwema@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 68 , Apr 7, 2007
      Response to a post of Scott a while ago about lace
      rok in coyote buttes north.

      You're right Scott and in a way you're not. I
      scouted almost the whole area de day before
      yesterday and found lace rock almost 'everywhere'.
      Even before the twin buttes. Just past the twin
      buttes and at the place I pointed out on the
      attached photo.

      Not only I found it there but also in south coyote
      buttes and in White Pocket which I visited today.
      I had to climb almost al the way up to the top of
      the butte, but it was well worth the climb as I
      found also an old dime left there a while ago
      judging the wear and tear of the coin. Well in
      return I left a 5 eurocent piece.

      Found also the small arch in WP Tanya. If you're
      interested in the GPS coordinates, let me know.
      Rmemeber me asking you abou the rock on the zion
      Plateau. Well I spotted it while driving in Zion
      NP towards Kanab. It's on the left a ways up from
      the last parking area before the checkboard mesa
      viewpoint.

      HEnk

      Scoot's ealier message(part)
      Henk...as far as your photo goes. I didn't take
      it with me and I am having a hard time remembering
      the exact spot looking backward (sorry so much
      amazing new stuff has jumbled my memory a bit). I
      think that the photo is in the right general area.
      However, I am quite sure that the whitish
      sandstone you label isn't the whitish sandstone I
      climbed. The area isn't too hard to find. It is
      the first big wash past the twin buttes. Just
      walk up it (in the direction of the wave) and when
      it ends continue on up the ridge. There are a
      bunch of formations there as well as along the
      ridge back down the wash. Very cool stuff.
    • Scott Little
      Message 68 of 68 , Apr 8, 2007
        Henk,

        Thanks for the correction and added information!  The next time I get out there I will have to schedule more time to explore that general area.

        On a side note...  I am planning to head down to the Bisti Wilderness next month.  I have seen some of your photos and wondered if you had any beta or suggestions for that area.  Feel free to contact me offline if you feel it is off topic for this group.

        Thanks again,
        Scott