Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Homepage photo

  • Dean Kurtz
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
      North slopes had up to about 6" in places, but it was soft and easy to walk through.

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 29, 2007
        I am guessing thats from last summer? Hows the canyon these days? Much
        snow?
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007

          Yes, it's from last summer.  So far there is not much here, but I think there in up North?

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton" <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

          > I am guessing thats from last summer? Hows the canyon these days? Much
          > snow?

        • Clayton
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 16, 2008
            Thats a cool shot. I forwarded it to friend and relatives who have
            never seen quite a thing as sandstone formations like that. The white
            is that snow or calcium carbonate?
          • Gary Clayton Palmer
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 16, 2008
              I know the Wave is near Buckskin Gulch right? how on a topo map do I
              find it? It's not called the Wave on the map, right? Whats it near? Or
              what name on the map do I look for?--- In

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                That would be the snow that was falling on our heads.  :D

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                  It's in North Coyote Buttes..  Utah is part and Arizona is part.

                  Bo's map

                  http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-paria-canyon.htm

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008
                    Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                    areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                    Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                    buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch?--- In
                    Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                      Cobra Arch does not need a permit.

                      I think the permits are $5, yes.  If you are just doing a day hike through Buckskin permit are hassle free.  You can just get one at the trailhead at the self help station.

                      http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                      > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                      > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                      > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch

                    • Henk
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                        I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
                        but if it is you need a day use permit.
                        Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
                        When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
                        I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon as
                        I was under the impression I didn't need one.
                        I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
                        When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
                        that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon wilderness area.

                        Henk

                        luvs_to_hike wrote:

                        Cobra Arch does not need a permit.

                        I think the permits are $5, yes.  If you are just doing a day hike through Buckskin permit are hassle free.  You can just get one at the trailhead at the self help station.

                        http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/coyote- buttes.htm

                        --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, "Gary Clayton Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@ ...> wrote:

                        > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                        > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                        > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                        > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch

                      • Bo
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                          Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure to
                          call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed. Both
                          times the answer was no.

                          We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                          Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and
                          away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not
                          need a permit.

                          There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it has
                          nothing written about needing a permit.

                          I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior
                          to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules can
                          change?

                          Bo

                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk
                          <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

                          > I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
                          > but if it is you need a day use permit.
                          > Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
                          > When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
                          > I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon
                          as
                          > I was under the impression I didn't need one.
                          > I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
                          > When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
                          > that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon
                          wilderness
                          > area.
                          >
                          > Henk
                          >
                          > luvs_to_hike wrote:
                          >
                          > > Cobra Arch does not need a permit.
                          > >
                          > > I think the permits are $5, yes. If you are just doing a day
                          hike
                          > > through Buckskin permit are hassle free. You can just get one at
                          the
                          > > trailhead at the self help station.
                          > >
                          > > http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm
                          > > <http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm>
                          > >

                          > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton
                          > > Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to
                          hike the
                          > > > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the
                          wave.
                          > > > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area
                          above the
                          > > > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch
                          > >
                          > > _

                        • Henk
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008

                            Bo,

                            the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from wirepass.
                            Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                            station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                            I'm talking about may 2007.

                            Henk

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                              Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                              Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                              register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                              register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                              Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                              to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                              Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                              Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.

                              From the information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are
                              not within permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has
                              changed since our last outing.

                              Thanks Henk.

                              <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

                              > Bo,
                              >
                              > the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from
                              wirepass.
                              > Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                              > station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                              > I'm talking about may 2007.
                              >
                              > Henk
                              >
                              > Bo wrote:
                              >
                              > > Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made
                              sure to
                              > > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed.
                              Both
                              > > times the answer was no.
                              > >
                              > > We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                              > > Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned
                              right and
                              > > away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would
                              not
                              > > need a permit.
                              > >
                              > > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it
                              has
                              > > nothing written about needing a permit.
                              > >
                              > > I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office
                              prior
                              > > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                              can
                              > > change?
                              > >
                              > > Bo

                            • D. Kevin Hansen
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                Kevin Hansen

                                To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
                                From: bomabro84738@...
                                Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:17:33 +0000
                                Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage photo

                                Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.

                                From the information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are

                                <henk.auwema@ ...> wrote:

                                > Bo,
                                >
                                > the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from
                                wirepass.
                                > Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                                > station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                                > I'm talking about may 2007.
                                >
                                > Henk
                                >
                                > Bo wrote:
                                >
                                > > Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made
                                sure to
                                > > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed.
                                Both
                                > > times the answer was no.
                                > >
                                > > We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                                > > Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned
                                right and
                                > > away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would
                                not
                                > > need a permit.
                                > >
                                > > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it
                                has
                                > > nothing written about needing a permit.
                                > >
                                > > I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office
                                prior
                                > > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                can
                                > > change?
                                > >
                                > > Bo

                                Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You IM, we give. Learn more.
                              • Bo
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                  Hi Kevin,
                                  I e-mailed you and gave you my e-mail address here at my workplace.
                                  Let me know what I might be able to do for you?

                                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. Kevin Hansen"
                                  <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

                                  > Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                  > Kevin Hansen
                                  >

                                  > To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@...: bomabro84738@...: Fri, 18 Jan
                                  2008 14:17:33 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage
                                  photo

                                  > Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                  Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                  register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                  register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                  Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                  to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                  Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                  Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.From the
                                  information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are not within
                                  permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has changed since
                                  our last outing.Thanks Henk.Bo--- In
                                  Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk <henk.auwema@>
                                  wrote:>> > Bo,> > the only thing I see that is different is that I
                                  hiked in from wirepass.> Probably that lies in the permit fee area.
                                  I went to the ranger> station next day and they told me it was in
                                  the fee area.> I'm talking about may 2007.> > Henk> > Bo wrote:> > >
                                  Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure
                                  to> > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was
                                  needed. Both> > times the answer was no.> >> > We had to access
                                  Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes> > Special Permit
                                  Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and> > away from
                                  Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not> > need a
                                  permit.> >> > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra
                                  Arch and it has> > nothing written about needing a permit.> >> > I
                                  guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior>
                                  > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                  can> > change?> >> > Bo> > > >> >> >> >>

                                  > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You
                                  IM, we give.
                                  > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

                                • Bo
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                    Now I know what you want! I just put the pieces together! Mike Nad
                                    and Gordon Larsen were just in the store on their way out to go Ice
                                    Climbing at Kanaara Creek and I guess they know you and mentioned
                                    that you climb with a friend of theirs in Kanab!

                                    You want to get out to the head of "Spud" Canyon to see if there is
                                    some ice! Unfortunately I have to work saturday and sunday I have
                                    plans to do some hiking on the East Side with Tanya, Courtney, DB
                                    and Mike. I can draw you a map and send it if you'd like. I would
                                    imagine you would have to hike a couple miles to get to the head?

                                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. Kevin Hansen"
                                    <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

                                    > Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                    > Kevin Hansen
                                    >

                                    > To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@...: bomabro84738@...: Fri, 18 Jan
                                    2008 14:17:33 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage
                                    photo

                                    > Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                    Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                    register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                    register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                    Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                    to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                    Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                    Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.From the
                                    information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are not within
                                    permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has changed since
                                    our last outing.Thanks Henk.Bo--- In
                                    Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk <henk.auwema@>
                                    wrote:>> > Bo,> > the only thing I see that is different is that I
                                    hiked in from wirepass.> Probably that lies in the permit fee area.
                                    I went to the ranger> station next day and they told me it was in
                                    the fee area.> I'm talking about may 2007.> > Henk> > Bo wrote:> > >
                                    Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure
                                    to> > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was
                                    needed. Both> > times the answer was no.> >> > We had to access
                                    Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes> > Special Permit
                                    Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and> > away from
                                    Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not> > need a
                                    permit.> >> > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra
                                    Arch and it has> > nothing written about needing a permit.> >> > I
                                    guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior>
                                    > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                    can> > change?> >> > Bo> > > >> >> >> >>

                                    > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You
                                    IM, we give.
                                    > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

                                  • iamfeliciaus
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 21, 2009
                                      Joe, that is a beautiful photograph!
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 22, 2009
                                        Thanks Felicia! That was close to Crater Hill -- I loved how the flowers completely engulfed the area. -Joe

                                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "iamfeliciaus" <iamfeliciaus@...> wrote:

                                        > Joe, that is a beautiful photograph!

                                      • ~tanya
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 22, 2009