Homepage photo

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2007
      Nice looking canyon! Was there much snow on Bunting Mesa?
    • Dean Kurtz
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
        North slopes had up to about 6" in places, but it was soft and easy to walk through.

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 29, 2007
          I am guessing thats from last summer? Hows the canyon these days? Much
          snow?
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007

            Yes, it's from last summer.  So far there is not much here, but I think there in up North?

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton" <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

            > I am guessing thats from last summer? Hows the canyon these days? Much
            > snow?

          • Clayton
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 16, 2008
              Thats a cool shot. I forwarded it to friend and relatives who have
              never seen quite a thing as sandstone formations like that. The white
              is that snow or calcium carbonate?
            • Gary Clayton Palmer
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 16, 2008
                I know the Wave is near Buckskin Gulch right? how on a topo map do I
                find it? It's not called the Wave on the map, right? Whats it near? Or
                what name on the map do I look for?--- In

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                  That would be the snow that was falling on our heads.  :D

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                    It's in North Coyote Buttes..  Utah is part and Arizona is part.

                    Bo's map

                    http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-paria-canyon.htm

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008
                      Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                      areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                      Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                      buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch?--- In
                      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                        Cobra Arch does not need a permit.

                        I think the permits are $5, yes.  If you are just doing a day hike through Buckskin permit are hassle free.  You can just get one at the trailhead at the self help station.

                        http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                        > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                        > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                        > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch

                      • Henk
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                          I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
                          but if it is you need a day use permit.
                          Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
                          When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
                          I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon as
                          I was under the impression I didn't need one.
                          I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
                          When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
                          that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon wilderness area.

                          Henk

                          luvs_to_hike wrote:

                          Cobra Arch does not need a permit.

                          I think the permits are $5, yes.  If you are just doing a day hike through Buckskin permit are hassle free.  You can just get one at the trailhead at the self help station.

                          http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/coyote- buttes.htm

                          --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, "Gary Clayton Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@ ...> wrote:

                          > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                          > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                          > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                          > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch

                        • Bo
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                            Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure to
                            call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed. Both
                            times the answer was no.

                            We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                            Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and
                            away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not
                            need a permit.

                            There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it has
                            nothing written about needing a permit.

                            I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior
                            to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules can
                            change?

                            Bo

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk
                            <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

                            > I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
                            > but if it is you need a day use permit.
                            > Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
                            > When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
                            > I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon
                            as
                            > I was under the impression I didn't need one.
                            > I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
                            > When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
                            > that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon
                            wilderness
                            > area.
                            >
                            > Henk
                            >
                            > luvs_to_hike wrote:
                            >
                            > > Cobra Arch does not need a permit.
                            > >
                            > > I think the permits are $5, yes. If you are just doing a day
                            hike
                            > > through Buckskin permit are hassle free. You can just get one at
                            the
                            > > trailhead at the self help station.
                            > >
                            > > http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm
                            > > <http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm>
                            > >

                            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton
                            > > Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to
                            hike the
                            > > > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the
                            wave.
                            > > > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area
                            above the
                            > > > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch
                            > >
                            > > _

                          • Henk
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008

                              Bo,

                              the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from wirepass.
                              Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                              station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                              I'm talking about may 2007.

                              Henk

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.

                                From the information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are
                                not within permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has
                                changed since our last outing.

                                Thanks Henk.

                                <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

                                > Bo,
                                >
                                > the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from
                                wirepass.
                                > Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                                > station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                                > I'm talking about may 2007.
                                >
                                > Henk
                                >
                                > Bo wrote:
                                >
                                > > Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made
                                sure to
                                > > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed.
                                Both
                                > > times the answer was no.
                                > >
                                > > We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                                > > Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned
                                right and
                                > > away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would
                                not
                                > > need a permit.
                                > >
                                > > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it
                                has
                                > > nothing written about needing a permit.
                                > >
                                > > I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office
                                prior
                                > > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                can
                                > > change?
                                > >
                                > > Bo

                              • D. Kevin Hansen
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                  Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                  Kevin Hansen

                                  To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: bomabro84738@...
                                  Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:17:33 +0000
                                  Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage photo

                                  Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                  Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                  register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                  register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                  Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                  to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                  Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                  Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.

                                  From the information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are

                                  <henk.auwema@ ...> wrote:

                                  > Bo,
                                  >
                                  > the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from
                                  wirepass.
                                  > Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                                  > station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                                  > I'm talking about may 2007.
                                  >
                                  > Henk
                                  >
                                  > Bo wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made
                                  sure to
                                  > > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed.
                                  Both
                                  > > times the answer was no.
                                  > >
                                  > > We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                                  > > Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned
                                  right and
                                  > > away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would
                                  not
                                  > > need a permit.
                                  > >
                                  > > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it
                                  has
                                  > > nothing written about needing a permit.
                                  > >
                                  > > I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office
                                  prior
                                  > > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                  can
                                  > > change?
                                  > >
                                  > > Bo

                                  Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You IM, we give. Learn more.
                                • Bo
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                    Hi Kevin,
                                    I e-mailed you and gave you my e-mail address here at my workplace.
                                    Let me know what I might be able to do for you?

                                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. Kevin Hansen"
                                    <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

                                    > Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                    > Kevin Hansen
                                    >

                                    > To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@...: bomabro84738@...: Fri, 18 Jan
                                    2008 14:17:33 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage
                                    photo

                                    > Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                    Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                    register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                    register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                    Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                    to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                    Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                    Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.From the
                                    information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are not within
                                    permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has changed since
                                    our last outing.Thanks Henk.Bo--- In
                                    Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk <henk.auwema@>
                                    wrote:>> > Bo,> > the only thing I see that is different is that I
                                    hiked in from wirepass.> Probably that lies in the permit fee area.
                                    I went to the ranger> station next day and they told me it was in
                                    the fee area.> I'm talking about may 2007.> > Henk> > Bo wrote:> > >
                                    Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure
                                    to> > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was
                                    needed. Both> > times the answer was no.> >> > We had to access
                                    Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes> > Special Permit
                                    Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and> > away from
                                    Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not> > need a
                                    permit.> >> > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra
                                    Arch and it has> > nothing written about needing a permit.> >> > I
                                    guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior>
                                    > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                    can> > change?> >> > Bo> > > >> >> >> >>

                                    > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You
                                    IM, we give.
                                    > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

                                  • Bo
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                      Now I know what you want! I just put the pieces together! Mike Nad
                                      and Gordon Larsen were just in the store on their way out to go Ice
                                      Climbing at Kanaara Creek and I guess they know you and mentioned
                                      that you climb with a friend of theirs in Kanab!

                                      You want to get out to the head of "Spud" Canyon to see if there is
                                      some ice! Unfortunately I have to work saturday and sunday I have
                                      plans to do some hiking on the East Side with Tanya, Courtney, DB
                                      and Mike. I can draw you a map and send it if you'd like. I would
                                      imagine you would have to hike a couple miles to get to the head?

                                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. Kevin Hansen"
                                      <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

                                      > Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                      > Kevin Hansen
                                      >

                                      > To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@...: bomabro84738@...: Fri, 18 Jan
                                      2008 14:17:33 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage
                                      photo

                                      > Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                      Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                      register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                      register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                      Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                      to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                      Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                      Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.From the
                                      information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are not within
                                      permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has changed since
                                      our last outing.Thanks Henk.Bo--- In
                                      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk <henk.auwema@>
                                      wrote:>> > Bo,> > the only thing I see that is different is that I
                                      hiked in from wirepass.> Probably that lies in the permit fee area.
                                      I went to the ranger> station next day and they told me it was in
                                      the fee area.> I'm talking about may 2007.> > Henk> > Bo wrote:> > >
                                      Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure
                                      to> > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was
                                      needed. Both> > times the answer was no.> >> > We had to access
                                      Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes> > Special Permit
                                      Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and> > away from
                                      Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not> > need a
                                      permit.> >> > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra
                                      Arch and it has> > nothing written about needing a permit.> >> > I
                                      guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior>
                                      > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                      can> > change?> >> > Bo> > > >> >> >> >>

                                      > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You
                                      IM, we give.
                                      > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

                                    • iamfeliciaus
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 21, 2009
                                        Joe, that is a beautiful photograph!
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 22, 2009
                                          Thanks Felicia! That was close to Crater Hill -- I loved how the flowers completely engulfed the area. -Joe

                                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "iamfeliciaus" <iamfeliciaus@...> wrote:

                                          > Joe, that is a beautiful photograph!

                                        • ~tanya
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 22, 2009