Re: Steamboat Rock - South Coyote Buttes

  • adkramoo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2007
      Quite poet, Don Juan.
      Enjoyed that
      Thanx

      -- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > This place was cool! I just don't know how we could have been so lucky
      > to get out there when the sand was frozen ( driving and hiking made
      > simple) but the winter in this area RULES! After a day of hiking and
      > photographing that would make anyone drool I just have to say.....WoW!
      > You know what Tanya? Even the drive out, with my white knuckles as the
      > sand had softened, was so absorbed as I heard of Michael Kelseys
      > descriptions of the possible German, Russian Spies "Cache" at "Yellow
      > Rock" area, I really believe that one of these days we may too stumble
      > on to something inexplicable! ( I think we have) Wait!!!!!!! Its all
      > inexplicable! Where did it all come from? Rabits lumbering in shaded
      > portals; Hawks perched on pillars a million years in the making...sand,
      > snow, wind and flows of mud uncovered after being hidden well before
      > history? Its an endless search that will always be welcome....at least
      > for those that desire.
      >
      > Thank you again today for allowing me and driving me to continue that
      > search! I will never understand all the mysteries...thank goodnes!
    • garyclaytonpalmer
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2007
        Nice description Tanya and Bo. Got me interested too now. What was
        the temps like today down there. Whats the elevations?
        Have you ever hiked down Tanner Wash west of Bitter Springs below
        the Navaho Bridge on the east side of the Colorado River?--- In
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > This place was cool! I just don't know how we could have been so
        lucky
        > to get out there when the sand was frozen ( driving and hiking
        made
        > simple) but the winter in this area RULES! After a day of hiking
        and
        > photographing that would make anyone drool I just have to
        say.....WoW!
        > You know what Tanya? Even the drive out, with my white knuckles as
        the
        > sand had softened, was so absorbed as I heard of Michael Kelseys
        > descriptions of the possible German, Russian Spies "Cache"
        at "Yellow
        > Rock" area, I really believe that one of these days we may too
        stumble
        > on to something inexplicable! ( I think we have) Wait!!!!!!! Its
        all
        > inexplicable! Where did it all come from? Rabits lumbering in
        shaded
        > portals; Hawks perched on pillars a million years in the
        making...sand,
        > snow, wind and flows of mud uncovered after being hidden well
        before
        > history? Its an endless search that will always be welcome....at
        least
        > for those that desire.
        >
        > Thank you again today for allowing me and driving me to continue
        that
        > search! I will never understand all the mysteries...thank goodnes!
        >
        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >

        > > [steamboat-rock.jpg]
        > >
        > > When we hiked to Cobra Arch - We saw Steamboat Rock from a
        distance
        > and
        > > wondered --- so today we checked it out! Very Cool! Nice like
        Paw
        > Hole
        > > and Cottonwood Teepees [=D>]

      • adkramoo
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007
          <no_reply@...> wrote:
          >I wanted to see its
          > eyes, but the distance was just a few feet too far. I still was able
          > to see his eyes, and I could see myself in them. I felt eerily like I
          > belonged there. Deja Vu?

          Bo as Bambi in a past life? One could do worse. Great imagery. Thanx
          for the journey. i can feel the love.
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007

            Such poetic energy.  I love your casual trip write-ups!  Kelsy's history stories are always so cool.  It was fun to take the time and actually read that!  Wonderful trip as always.

            We just have to find out if  a permit is needed for Steamboat Springs and if it is in the South Coyote Buttes area?

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007

              My feelings exactly! :)

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007
                Would you guys mind if I tagged along on some of your hikes? No
                Rappels tho, not ready for that.--- In
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > The temps were perfect Gary. The snows that had fallen several
                days
                > earlier had mostly melted except on the shaded slopes. The
                moisture
                > however had remained and was frozen on the surface and beneath. I
                > would guess that in the morning as we drove out 9AM, hovered
                around
                > 25? and as we hiked maybe a couple deg. warmer. After
                > circumnavigating Steamboat Rock (shaded on the northern flanks)
                and

                Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "garyclaytonpalmer"
                > <garyclaytonpalmer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Nice description Tanya and Bo. Got me interested too now. What
                was
                > > the temps like today down there. Whats the elevations?
                > > Have you ever hiked down Tanner Wash west of Bitter Springs
                below
                > > the Navaho Bridge on the east side of the Colorado River?--- In
                > > Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
                > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > This place was cool! I just don't know how we could have been
                so
                > > lucky
                > > > to get out there when the sand was frozen ( driving and hiking
                > > made
                > > > simple) but the winter in this area RULES! After a day of
                hiking
                > > and
                > > > photographing that would make anyone drool I just have to
                > > say.....WoW!
                > > > You know what Tanya? Even the drive out, with my white
                knuckles
                > as
                > > the
                > > > sand had softened, was so absorbed as I heard of Michael
                Kelseys
                > > > descriptions of the possible German, Russian Spies "Cache"
                > > at "Yellow
                > > > Rock" area, I really believe that one of these days we may too
                > > stumble
                > > > on to something inexplicable! ( I think we have) Wait!!!!!!!
                Its
                > > all
                > > > inexplicable! Where did it all come from? Rabits lumbering in
                > > shaded
                > > > portals; Hawks perched on pillars a million years in the
                > > making...sand,
                > > > snow, wind and flows of mud uncovered after being hidden well
                > > before
                > > > history? Its an endless search that will always be
                welcome....at
                > > least
                > > > for those that desire.
                > > >
                > > > Thank you again today for allowing me and driving me to
                continue
                > > that
                > > > search! I will never understand all the mysteries...thank
                goodnes!

                > > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike

                > > distance
                > > > and
                > > Paw
                > > > Hole

              • garyclaytonpalmer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007
                  ---Nice to hear that someone else likes Kelsey too. I read some of
                  his books and tried to do one of his hikes from Jensen Utah but was
                  overwelmed by the heat back in 1983 before I had lived in Tucson and
                  became a desert nomad.
                  Many people I have spoken to over the years make him sound like a
                  bad hiker, like some of those at the Grand_Canyon_Hikers group did
                  me in 2003 when I started telling my stories of the Grand Canyon. So
                  many in that group told me they did not believe me about what I had
                  done that they broke my spirit down.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007

                    Kelsy is a hiking GOD! :)

                    Remember most people have EGO issues!  It's not you, its them!  The egos in that group drive me batty 8-}

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007

                      We will see.  We have really got into a mellow planning mode the last  year.  We decide what we are going to do often just the night before and dont like the hassle of setting things up much.  Tom, your roomie, is your group hiking type of guy.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007
                        Email me anytime, I always have my computer on. --- In

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007

                          The map and photo album for Steamboat Rock are done   :)

                          http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index35.htm

                          http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-steamboat-rock.htm

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007

                            Bo has done it again.  Another great trail report from him.  =D>

                            http://www.zionnational-park.com/steamboat-rock.htm

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > This place was cool! I just don't know how we could have been so lucky
                            > to get out there when the sand was frozen ( driving and hiking made
                            > simple) but the winter in this area RULES! After a day of hiking and
                            > photographing that would make anyone drool I just have to say.....WoW!
                            > You know what Tanya? Even the drive out, with my white knuckles as the
                            > sand had softened, was so absorbed as I heard of Michael Kelseys
                            > descriptions of the possible German, Russian Spies "Cache" at "Yellow
                            > Rock" area, I really believe that one of these days we may too stumble
                            > on to something inexplicable! ( I think we have) Wait!!!!!!! Its all
                            > inexplicable! Where did it all come from? Rabits lumbering in shaded
                            > portals; Hawks perched on pillars a million years in the making...sand,
                            > snow, wind and flows of mud uncovered after being hidden well before
                            > history? Its an endless search that will always be welcome....at least
                            > for those that desire.
                            >
                            > Thank you again today for allowing me and driving me to continue that
                            > search! I will never understand all the mysteries...thank goodnes!
                            >
                            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                            > no_reply@ wrote:
                            > >

                            > > [steamboat-rock.jpg]
                            > >
                            > > When we hiked to Cobra Arch - We saw Steamboat Rock from a distance
                            > and
                            > > wondered --- so today we checked it out! Very Cool! Nice like Paw
                            > Hole
                            > > and Cottonwood Teepees [=D>]

                          • garyclaytonpalmer
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                              Sandstone always looks so neat with those different layers coming
                              together where they froze in time. Is that from volcanics and
                              ancients seas covering and compressing the sand dunes?--- In
                              <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > Bo has done it again. Another great trail report from him. [=D>]
                              >
                              > http://www.zionnational-park.com/steamboat-rock.htm
                              > <http://www.zionnational-park.com/steamboat-rock.htm>
                              >

                              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
                              > <no_reply@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > This place was cool! I just don't know how we could have been so
                              lucky
                              > > to get out there when the sand was frozen ( driving and hiking
                              made
                              > > simple) but the winter in this area RULES! After a day of hiking
                              and
                              > > photographing that would make anyone drool I just have to
                              say.....WoW!
                              > > You know what Tanya? Even the drive out, with my white knuckles
                              as the
                              > > sand had softened, was so absorbed as I heard of Michael Kelseys
                              > > descriptions of the possible German, Russian Spies "Cache"
                              at "Yellow
                              > > Rock" area, I really believe that one of these days we may too
                              stumble
                              > > on to something inexplicable! ( I think we have) Wait!!!!!!! Its
                              all
                              > > inexplicable! Where did it all come from? Rabits lumbering in
                              shaded
                              > > portals; Hawks perched on pillars a million years in the
                              > making...sand,
                              > > snow, wind and flows of mud uncovered after being hidden well
                              before
                              > > history? Its an endless search that will always be welcome....at
                              least
                              > > for those that desire.
                              > >
                              > > Thank you again today for allowing me and driving me to continue
                              that
                              > > search! I will never understand all the mysteries...thank
                              goodnes!

                              > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                              > > no_reply@ wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > [steamboat-rock.jpg]
                              > > >
                              > > > When we hiked to Cobra Arch - We saw Steamboat Rock from a
                              distance
                              > > and
                              > > > wondered --- so today we checked it out! Very Cool! Nice like
                              Paw
                              > > Hole
                              > > > and Cottonwood Teepees [=D>]

                            • garyclaytonpalmer
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                                Three Cheers for Bo and Tanya, Best darn website builders of all
                                time!!--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007

                                  Get 2 extremists together and that website it what you get.  Yeah.. the hiking is by far the best part!  Sitting, working all day at the computers is not all that fun!