Hound Huntin'

  • Dean Kurtz
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hey Tanya, have you heard from Bo yet?

      If not, please let me know as soon as you hear something.

      Thanks,

      Dean
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006

        Not a word!  I guess I could call Outdoor Outlet.  Usually he would post in the group here before I hear from him.... if he is at work.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006

          I just talked to Scott at Outdoor Outlet and he said Bo LEFT at 8am, not that he would be back.  So all is probably okay.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Kurtz" <dkurtz@...> wrote:

          > Hey Tanya, have you heard from Bo yet?
          >
          > If not, please let me know as soon as you hear something.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Dean

        • Dean Kurtz
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
            Cool, thanks.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006

              Bo just called...  it must be ugly out there!  All day and they did not get the hound.  They did hear it though and are heading back in the morning.  He might post tonight when he gets home.. maybe?

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006

                How did Spud end up in Englestead!  That first step is scarey!!!!

                Dean on that first step - for those who have not been there.  I assume Spud came in a backdoor and did not follow our hiking guide? :D

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Just a quick update before I head for a warm shower and get some
                > sleep before heading up to Zion again in the early AM.
                >
                > The dog "Spud" is alive! We were able to get into the canyon after a
                > 640' lower, but were promptly met with a 30' dryfall, 30' downstream.
                > Tomorrow we will send up a team of 6 instead of 3 of us to carry
                > extra rope and will see if we can get "Spud" out. From what we could
                > tell, he was about 150 meters downstream from where we lowered. There
                > is a lot of snow and it may prevent us from making it to him, but we
                > will try again tomorrow. Wish "Spud" good fortune and us some luck!
                >
                > Bo

              • Dean Kurtz
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
                  Uh, Spud's not in Englestead...

                  How did Spud end up in Englestead!  That first step is scarey!!!!

                  Dean on that first step - for those who have not been there.  I assume Spud came in a backdoor and did not follow our hiking guide? :D

                  --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, bomabro84738 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Just a quick update before I head for a warm shower and get some
                  > sleep before heading up to Zion again in the early AM.
                  >
                  > The dog "Spud" is alive! We were able to get into the canyon after a
                  > 640' lower, but were promptly met with a 30' dryfall, 30' downstream.
                  > Tomorrow we will send up a team of 6 instead of 3 of us to carry
                  > extra rope and will see if we can get "Spud" out. From what we could
                  > tell, he was about 150 meters downstream from where we lowered. There
                  > is a lot of snow and it may prevent us from making it to him, but we
                  > will try again tomorrow. Wish "Spud" good fortune and us some luck!
                  >
                  > Bo

                • Dean Kurtz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
                    That's good news, that there may be a chance.  Any other details that you can give I would be most interested to hear.  Specifically, where did you set your lower?

                    Just got back from the ZP myself after trying to locate the people from Best Friends that were going to hike Orderville and look for Spud.  Turns out that they are okay and never really made it anywhere.

                    Dean

                    --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, luvs_to_hike

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006

                      OH :))  That's Good!  That would have been quite a drop :D

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006

                        Whole Team?!?!?!?! #-o It does  NOT sound  safe for you to be down there in [-( "Spud Canyon" either!  I hope you took your goat backpack instead of your new one. :D  Looking forward to your report and a safe return for everyone!!!!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006

                          No word yet! I hope everyone is okay!

                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > Whole Team?!?!?!?! [#-o] It does NOT sound safe for you to be down
                          > there in [[-(] "Spud Canyon" either! I hope you took your goat
                          > backpack instead of your new one. [:D] Looking forward to your report
                          > and a safe return for everyone!!!!
                          >

                          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
                          > no_reply@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Got to get runnin, but the lower was set on the ridge down quite a
                          > > ways. I think it may be where you got to but no further? There was
                          > > one set of footprints in the snow that continued down the ridge
                          > > further and I followed them, but it would not have been safe to take
                          > > a whole team down there and there wasnt a safe working area anyway. I
                          > > t would have put us closer to where Spud is, but not safe for the
                          > > Team. Where we lowered Dean, you were able to look back up the canyon
                          > > and see the Large Ice Slab near the head of the canyon.To get to our
                          > > working area on the ridge we had to descend quite a ways on some
                          > > steep snow covered slopes and downclimb one 6' rock/snow buttress and
                          > > then it put us on a somewhat narrow level ridge with 3 large
                          > > ponderosas. 1 for belay (set back from our canyon and on the opposite
                          > > canyon side) 1 on the side of our canyon, now dubbed "Spud Canyon"
                          > > which was used as a high directional and the last large pondo set 30'
                          > > up as main anchor for lower/raise. We used a simple 5:1 MA for the
                          > > raise with 3 pulling, but will use a 9:1 compound tomorrow as we will
                          > > send 2 down and hopefully will raise 2 people and one "Spud"! Its
                          > > exactly to the inch 640' to the canyon floor. We hope not to run into
                          > > many obstacles heading downcanyon that might prevent us from reaching
                          > > Spud. Will let you know what happend when I get home tonight.
                          > >
                          > > Bo
                          > >
                          > > PS: Tanya, we are 2 canyons west of Englestead Canyon if you look on
                          > > a map. Will talk to you tonight.
                          > >
                          > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Kurtz"
                          > > dkurtz@ wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > That's good news, that there may be a chance. Any other details
                          > > that you can give I would be most interested to hear. Specifically,
                          > > where did you set your lower?
                          > > >
                          > > > Just got back from the ZP myself after trying to locate the people
                          > > from Best Friends that were going to hike Orderville and look for
                          > > Spud. Turns out that they are okay and never really made it anywhere.
                          > > >
                          > > > Dean

                        • Dean Kurtz
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006
                            I've heard an unconfirmed rumor about the outcome, but I will let Bo post that.

                            And speaking of Bo, I just sent you an email to your work address.  I would call it very high priority if you can get to it quickly.

                            Thanks,

                            Dean

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                              How did the operation go Dean?