To Utah or not to Utah...That is the question.

  • westfaliagirl
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006
      I'm hoping this group can help me decide on my vacation plans...I'm
      sitting by my computer having a personal pity party. My crutches are
      leaning against my desk...Yep, the pain I've had for the last FOUR
      months turned out to be a broken femur (really long story, that I
      won't bore anyone with!)...Anyways, I am supposed to go with my
      boyfriend to Utah the last week of September. We were going to go to
      Arches, Zion and Coyote Buttes (the Wave)... I most likely will not
      be able to hike far distance or do very much hiking uphill. (But I
      will be off crutches by then.) I fear that if I only drive thru
      Utah, I will be bummed that I can't explore it further. I am by no
      means a super hiker, just a casual one..I know your area has some of
      the most scenic drives around, but driving around and looking at
      sites for more than a week most likely will not satisfy my
      curiosity. Are there some really short flat hikes that anyone can
      suggest? I know the wave is about 3 miles one way...How much uphill
      hiking is required? It is the one hike I really would like to
      do...It's scheduled towards the end of our trip and maybe just maybe
      my leg will be stronger by then. Any ideas or opinions for what we
      should do on our vacation will be appreciated.

      On a side note, we will be traveling in our camper van. Any ideas
      for campsites will also be appreciated.

      Lorri
    • Stefanos Folias
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006
        always to utah!!  ;)

        coyote buttes/the wave has some varied terrain over slickrock slopes and sand.  on the way there, there are two/three major uphills.  if you're not feeling upto it, probably shouldn't go.  but trekking poles could come in very handy if you do.  plus once you're there you'll want to explore, and the sandstone is quite varied.

        i can sense how much you want to go there, and it's a truly amazing place.  if i were you, i might wait until you can fully enjoy it, unhindered. then again, you can always go more than once.  not sure how far away you are.  the fall winter and spring can also be a really nice time to go there as well.

        good luck, safe travels

        stefan

        On Aug 26, 2006, at 7:25 PM, westfaliagirl wrote:

[...]

      • bomabro84738
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
          In Zion, a hike from Wildcat Cabyon Trailhead to the end of the
          Northgate Peaks trail may be a very nice stroll with minimal up and
          down. A walk on the Canyon Overlook trail is'nt very strenuous
          either. Definately take the jaunt up the Riverside Walk to the
          beginning of the Narrows.

          The hike to the Wave isn't too strenuous, but there is a fair amount
          of short ups and downs. If you were to start very early in the
          morning and just take it very easy I think it will be worth the
          effort? (and pain?).

          I haven't done a lot of walking at Bryce, but I do know that the
          trail network includes a lot of "On the Rim" sightseeing strolls".

          There are campgrounds inside Zion and also at Lava Point at the start
          of the West Rim Trail on the Kolob Terrace. There are campgrounds
          also in Springdale.

          http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-campground.htm

          More centralized to Zion, Bryce and North Coyote Buttes is the RV
          Campground at Mt Carmel Junction (Rt. 9 and Highway 89)

          There is also the Stateline Campground (4 sites) a few miles south of
          the Wire Pass Trailhead (The Wave).

          I'm sure that others will have some good suggestions. Have fun!

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "westfaliagirl"

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006

            Bo as usual has great suggestions.  Here are what I suggest for the average mom and pop hiker/walker/visitor to the area.  You should be able to do most of them with a just healed bum leg.  :)

            http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-vacation.htm