Re: Buckskin Gulch

  • Janette
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 6 4:42 AM
      Hi Jan

      I posted the pictures link in the rafting group when I got back and
      we were talking about your CA backpack. I didn't complete the first
      backpack, as I badly turned my ankle on the first day out, then the
      following weekends plans had to be cancelled when a big fire in
      Sedona caused a couple of the group to have their vacation time
      withdrawn.

      Fortunately, the ankle turned out to be not so bad an injury, and I
      could put my own weight on it within a day with not too much pain,
      but I didn't want to push it with the added 40lbs of a backpack too
      soon, and the idea of getting further away from civilization (and
      ice!) wasn't too appealing while it was still swollen. I ended up
      just doing the tourist thing, icing it at night and day hiking from
      the car to let it rest. By the time I got home most of the swelling
      had gone down. Xray shows a small cracked bone in the foot, and
      there isn't anything can be done with it that I hadn't already
      done. I've had a recurring bruise on and off since then, but it's
      basically OK. It's way too hot/humid here in FL for backpacking
      right now anyway, so I've switched to kayaking for the summer. The
      foot gets lots of rest and short hikes from the kayak, so hopefully
      it will be 100% by the fall when I'm ready for longer hikes again.

      I don't regret not attempting the full backpack, or the longer
      hikes. It will all still be there next time! Pictures from the
      modified dayhiking trip are at
      http://www.flashworth.com/az/may06.htm

      HUGS - J

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Taylor"
      <jhntaylor@...> wrote:

      > Hi Janette,
      >
      > We keep meeting. I'd love to hear about your trip. Did you get
      to The Wave? Please post a
      > trip report.
      >
      > Jan Taylor
      >

      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Janette"
      <jnetx@> wrote:

      > > We dayhiked Buckskin out and back from the Coyote Buttes parking
      lot
      > > on Memorial weekend. Only got a couple of miles in but as far
      as we
      > > went was mainly dry with only a couple of knee deep pools to
      cross.
      > > Not sure if there has been any rain there since that would
      change
      > > conditions.
      > >
      > > Have a great trip.
      > >
      > > HUGS - J
      > >
      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Mark"
      > > <litlbear@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Steve, Brady and I are doing a "stupid hike" (Bo's term for
      anything
      > > > over 20 miles) in a couple of days: Wirepass to Whitehouse.
      Last time
      > > > I did it, it was mostly dry to the confluence. Just wondering
      if
      > > > anyone on the group has been through lately. I'm guessing it is
      > > > probably fairly dry again- one can only hope. When that place
      gets
      > > > muddy, it doesn't mess around. Any recent beta on the Buckskin
      will
      > > be
      > > > appreciadoed.
      > > >
      > > > Mark (the other Mallory)
      > > >
      > > > ps- I think a great warm up for the Far Fest would be Wirepass
      > > > Wirepass. That I haven't done. But seriously considering it.

    • adkramoo
      Message 35 of 35 , May 11, 2009
        A whole thread on it on the canyons yahoo group. This is one of the posts

        Did this yesterday. There are about 15 pools of thick/sticky mud
        that you have to pass through. They range from ankle to mid-thigh in
        depth and 6-20' in length. They are all above the rock fall that you
        need to down climb. The only filterable water is from the spring in
        the lower section near the confluence with Paria.
        Jim