Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Wireless Access

  • Len Rugen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 12:51 PM
      There is a comercial campground in Springdale that has wireless.  They have a hotel also.  Our campsite was on the river and was out of range, so I went to their laundrymat.  I think I saw a cafe that had a wireless sign further away from the park entrance.  I didn't try them.  They are near the icecream shop.

      Len Rugen

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 3:46 PM

        I heard this same thing from one of the county leaders the other day.  That person suggested that people get together and sue to try and correct how wildfires are managed. It does seem that wild fires have their place, but something drastic needs to be done to decide how those fires will be controlled ~imho~.

        PS.. I dont think you are saying anything that should be blasted at all. :)  The Warm Fire has caused a lot of damage and I cant see anyone saying that it has been a good thing.  That has to mean someone messed up.

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Kurtz" <dkurtz@...> wrote:
        > It is my not so humble opinion that the Warm Fire was a MAJOR screw up on the part of the FS. I feel that those that made the decision to let it burn are no better than a common arsonist that would intentionally ignite a forest that belongs to the american public and that they should be treated as such. I believe that charges should be filed for destruction of public lands/resources, whatever, and that they should lose their jobs and be held responsible for a portion or all of the extraordinary cost associated with fighting this "Wilderness Fire Use Fire".

      • W Reid White
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1 6:50 PM
          Howdy Len,

             Thanks!

             Happy Trails,
             Reid

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1 11:16 PM
            Reid,
            The Pioneer Lodge in Springdale has an internet cafe. I didn't use it
            for internet but I did go in to buy a smoothie (very good, btw) and
            there were people in there on their laptops.

            Jordan

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, W Reid White
            <TarHeel.Canyoneer@...> wrote:

            > Howdy folks,
            >
            > Anyone know of wireless access points in or near Cedar City,
            Springdale
            > and Mount Carmel Junction?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Reid

          • Stan McQueen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2 12:51 PM
              I am currently staying at the Zion Park Motel, across from the Pizza&Noodle. The Pioneer Lodge, just up the street, has an internet cafe. You can use one of their computers for 25 minutes for 2.50 or, for a purchase of $2.99, you can bring in your laptop and use their wireless for an "unlimited" time. My dialup access had expired, so I went over there yesterday to use their computer to re-up so I could use my laptop in the motel. Several motels also advertise wireless, but I expect you have to stay there to get it.

              I did Keyhole yesterday. The water is still fairly cold, but there isn't much of it. It was about waist deep in the pothole below the first rap. Other than that it was mostly ankle deep at most, except for the final swim, which was briefly about chest deep. I left my wetsuit in my pack and wished I had left it in the car. The water really stinks, though, especially in the upper portion (before the first rap). In there, it smelled like an outhouse. Luckily the water there is only ankle deep or so. I met four hikers coming out of the upper canyon after they had entered it in the middle and upclimbed through the upper part. I met them coming out as I was climbing down from the hoodoo pass. Other than that, I saw no one, but I did see some wet bootprints in the lower canyon, so someone had gone through not too much before I came along.

              Stan
              Photography by Stan McQueen
              http://www.smcqueen.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3 5:33 PM
                Howdy,

                   Thanks Stan and Jordan for the info.  Very helpful.

                   Happy Trails,
                   Reid