Heaps of Change

  • adkramoo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2006
      We hear periodically about bolts found with no drops nearby. Even
      found ankle high, in long sandy corridors (Hidden Canyon).
      Last week, in Heaps, just past the Devil's Pit location, you come to
      a bolt station. Bolt on the left, LDC, hanger having carved into the
      rock, in a semi circle. Removed bolt holes nearby.....and now a 3
      foot drop.

      I know the spot. I have seen it like this once before and I have
      seen it 3 times as a legit rap of 15 feet. What is up with that?
      After stepping down into the sand, the canyon takes quick jogs to
      the right , then to the left. This sandy bottomed section, led to a
      small log jam, 35 feet down from the abandoned rap. Beyond the jam
      was a 20 foot drop, narrowing in the middle then baying out to the
      bottom. This was the first drop without any anchoring evidence we
      had seen all day. A slung log and over I went...to note that the jam
      and the sand, for 10 feet back was a hollow bottom. 3 feet deep and
      nothing below it. After warning out hero's, I finished the rap. This
      is a brand new rap, created over the winter, during a flood. A spot
      that some logs jammed in and then was cemented (sort of) by piled up
      sand, all the way back for 35 feet, filling in below, what had been
      a legit rap station (But not anchor ;-)) and what will likely become
      a rap again, when the log jam gets washes out again. Which it likely
      will. I love dynamic systems. Features will come and go. Fun!
      Ram
    • bomabro84738
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"
        <adkramoo@...> wrote:

        > We hear periodically about bolts found with no drops nearby. Even
        > found ankle high, in long sandy corridors (Hidden Canyon).

        Don't know about the Heaps "of mess", but maybe 9 years ago the SAR
        team had a training off the north rim of Hidden Canyon to try to find
        an easier method of extrication, and I remember that we had rapped
        about 800'. We then set up a guiding line from down canyon back up to
        the rim. I think that a bolt or two were installed on the left wall
        (LDC) to act as the guiding line anchors? Maybe this is what was seen
        Ram? I'm sure that they should be removed, as we found that the method
        we were looking for wasn't very efficient(an 800' raise thru many lower
        shrubs, and several nasty ledges). Maybe next time I get thru Hidden,
        I'll check it out and if so will remove them.
        Bo
      • adkramoo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
          <no_reply@...> wrote:
          but maybe 9 years ago the SAR
          > team had a training off the north rim of Hidden Canyon to try to find
          > an easier method of extrication, and I remember that we had rapped
          > about 800'. We then set up a guiding line from down canyon back up to
          > the rim. I think that a bolt or two were installed on the left wall
          > (LDC) to act as the guiding line anchors? Maybe this is what was seen
          > Ram?

          Perhaps. They were on the left LDC, 2 of them. They were at about calf
          height. They were also above the 2 lower raps and below 4 upper raps
          and above where all but the heartiest upward explorers go. The age of
          the bolts (as much as I can tell anyway) seems about right.
        • bomabro84738
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
            <adkramoo@...> wrote:

            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > but maybe 9 years ago the SAR
            > > team had a training off the north rim of Hidden Canyon to try to
            find
            > > an easier method of extrication, and I remember that we had
            rapped
            > > about 800'. We then set up a guiding line from down canyon back
            up to
            > > the rim. I think that a bolt or two were installed on the left
            wall
            > > (LDC) to act as the guiding line anchors? Maybe this is what was
            seen
            > > Ram?
            >
            > Perhaps. They were on the left LDC, 2 of them. They were at about
            calf
            > height. They were also above the 2 lower raps and below 4 upper raps
            > and above where all but the heartiest upward explorers go. The age
            of
            > the bolts (as much as I can tell anyway) seems about right.

            If memory serves...thats them? Tanya and I have'nt done hidden top
            down together....we'll have to pin that one up on the "to do board"
            and see what can be done!
          • adkramoo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > If memory serves...thats them? Tanya and I have'nt done hidden top
              > down together....we'll have to pin that one up on the "to do board"
              > and see what can be done!

              You will have to be observent. They don't scream out at ya. i must
              have walked by them more than noticing them, but it has been said the
              only way I could find an arrowhead is after the surgeon took it out of
              my foot. ;-)
              BTW a certain oldtime said a VW jack works best ;-o