Re: CBN

  • davidjharris_2000
    Message 1 of 25 , May 2, 2006
      That would be great Bo.

      I for one am hoping it doesn't change to a lottery, at least not in the
      next 3 months. The odds of getting permits using the lottery system
      probably aren't good.

      Would CBS be by lottery too?

      Dave
    • bomabro84738
      Message 2 of 25 , May 2, 2006
        My understanding is that both sections were to be included in the new
        lottery system? I called David Kiel at BLM "Vermillion Cliffs
        Recreation Director" a few minutes ago and he wasn't in, but left a
        message and hope he will call me back? I will let you know as soon as I
        hear anything!
        Bo

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "davidjharris_2000"
        <davidjharris_2000@...> wrote:

        > That would be great Bo.
        >
        > I for one am hoping it doesn't change to a lottery, at least not in
        the
        > next 3 months. The odds of getting permits using the lottery system
        > probably aren't good.
        >
        > Would CBS be by lottery too?
        >
        > Dave

      • davidjharris_2000
        Message 3 of 25 , May 2, 2006
          You're a star!

          Cheers

          Dave
        • davidjharris_2000
          Message 4 of 25 , May 2, 2006
            You're a star!

            Cheers

            Dave
          • bomabro84738
            Message 5 of 25 , May 2, 2006
              Just got off the Phone w/ David Kiel and Donovan. Seems that they
              have done all the supplying of info and have done all the testing and
              were expecting the new system to be up and running on May 1.
              Unfortunately it is out of their hands now and its a matter of the
              people in Denver (where the server is located) to get it up and
              running. David said that he is hopeful it will be in 2 weeks, but
              isn't making any promises. David will call me the moment that he
              finds out when it will be up and operating, and I will surely pass on
              the info. on this and GC e-groups.

              <davidjharris_2000@...> wrote:

              > You're a star!
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Dave

            • Henk
              Message 6 of 25 , May 3, 2006
                much appreciated Bo,

                Thanks
                Henk

                bomabro84738 wrote:

                >Just got off the Phone w/ David Kiel and Donovan.

              • jeff branin
                Message 7 of 25 , May 10, 2006
                  I can't add to your rock art list but I wonder if this ranger can:

                  Superintendent Jock Whitworth has announced several programs to be
                  presented at Zion National Park in observance of Utah Prehistory
                  Week. The programs will be presented throughout the week of May 6 to
                  May 13, 2006 .

                  Programs, Hikes, and Demonstrations

                  Saturdays May 6 and May 13, 11:25 a.m.
                  Human History Museum Patio

                  "PETROGLYPHS – THE TALKING ROCKS" Ranger Valerie McClory
                  Join Ranger Valerie for a fun and informative program about rock art.
                  Learn some of the possible reasons that the ancient artists might
                  have left these paintings and etchings behind and discover what they
                  might say to you . . . . . .

                  By the way, when I stopped by the store Bo gave me directions to the
                  Cave Valley Pictos. While at the first cave, a couple other hikers
                  arrived. One seemed knowledgable. He explained that the first panel
                  of figures including the one that looked like a swastika were
                  genuine, but that some 20th century person had outlined the faded
                  glyphs with lime or some other white material.

                  I moved onto a second cave/alcove and viewed one panel of red figures
                  that very totally different from the triangular figures at the first
                  site. I didn't run across any other sites or panels. How about you
                  and Bo? I agree with you that those glyphs especially in that cave
                  setting provide the rock art jaw dropping experience in Zion. jeff

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                  <no_reply@...> wrote: . . . Those Cave Valley Pictographs are the
                  best I have seen in Zion so far -- and I think we have seen them
                  all? Anyone know others besides: Brown, Deertrap, Kinesava,
                  Petroglyph Canyon, Sacrafice (d) Rock and Cave Valley [:-/]

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 10, 2006

                    Hi Jeff :)

                    I wish I could be in Zion for that!  If anyone else can please report back!!  :-B

                    I loved those Petros too!  The 2nd cave?  Was that just farther back in the same cave?  We only saw one cave!  :-s

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 10, 2006
                      <no_reply@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Jeff [:)]
                      > I wish I could be in Zion for that! If anyone else can please report
                      > back!! [:-B]
                      > I loved those Petros too! The 2nd cave? Was that just farther back
                      in the same cave? We only saw one cave! [:-s]

                      As I remember Tanya; after the bushwack route in (my fault) we were
                      sort of pressed for time to get to the I-Max for the show :-) or we
                      could have spent some more time exploring? Oh well.....maybe next
                      weekend (not this one coming up) we can head back up and find more?
                      Surgery went well, and I feel just fine, but Doc says to take it easy I
                      think? Keep our hikes under 25 miles for a couple weeks anyway?
                      Bo
                    • jeff branin
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 10, 2006
                        Continuing further east along the rock wall maybe another 150-200 yards
                        you come to another cave/alcove. This one had a small amount of water
                        dripping down from up on top. I saw one small panel of red figures
                        near where the water hit the floor of the chamber. I hiked further
                        east and ascended a stock trail that had been blasted into the rock.
                        Didn't see any more rock art. Returned to my car. Didn't see those
                        other two hikers on the way back. Wish I could have asked them if they
                        knew of other panels in that area.

                        Hope Nikki isn't too broken up that Chris got voted off. jeff

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 10, 2006

                          IN TEARS  :((

                          But I voted for Kat =D>