Kolob Canyon or Kolob Terrace?

  • Valarie
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
      We're going to be visiting Zion in May and will only
      have time to visit Kolob Canyon or Kolob Terrace.
      Which one do you recommend and why? We are first time
      visitors to Zion if that makes a difference. We'll
      have probably around 4-5 hours to visit whichever area
      we pick. Thanks!
    • adkramoo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Valarie
        <sammiebean9@...> wrote:

        > We're going to be visiting Zion in May and will only
        > have time to visit Kolob Canyon or Kolob Terrace.
        > Which one do you recommend and why? We are first time
        > visitors to Zion if that makes a difference. We'll
        > have probably around 4-5 hours to visit whichever area
        > we pick. Thanks!

        Hi Valerie

        One is a long canyon, with a technical section at the top or a steep
        non tech entry, that leads into the Zion Narrows. Regardless of how
        you do it, it is at least an all day affair and requires wetsuits and
        special gear. The Kolob Terrace is an area and it has a road that
        accesses it. It is quite lovely, starting in low desert and if taken
        all the way to the Resevoir (if the end of the road is open-snow)
        takes you up over 8000 feet in the aspens groves (likely not blooming
        yet. The vistas are awesome and several trails offer hikes of good
        quality. The Wildcat trailhead, to the Northgate peaks is 4 flat
        miles, round trip and very nice.
        Ram
      • bomabro84738
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
          Hi Valarie,
          Maybe you were thinking or heard of "The Kolob Canyons Area"?
          Just a tad different to what some folks refer to as "Kolob Canyon",
          and really meaning "Kolob Creek". The Kolob Canyons Area is the far
          Northwestern part of Zion National Park and is very beautiful. Hiking
          North Fork, Middle Fork and South Forks of Taylor Creek are generally
          quite popular Kolob Canyons, and are not very strenuous. It would be
          easy to spend 4-5 hours (depending on your pace) in any one of the
          forks. There is a drivable vista at the end of the road if you want
          only to spend time driving and viewing.
          I have to think that what Ram says about Kolob Terrace will
          generally offer more overall spectacular views and the hike on the
          Wildcat Canyon Trail to the Northgate Peaks Trail and the view of
          Northgate peaks and North Guardian Angel will take your 4-5 hours and
          maximize it the best with a very pleasurable hike and a very scenic
          drive as well.
          I really dont think you would enjoy the hike to Kolob Creek via MIA
          route very much and it would be very difficult to arrive in the
          Canyon refered to by some as "Kolob Canyon".
          If I had only a short time to visit and do a short hike...I side
          with Ram! The drive up Kolob Terrace Road is spetacular and the hike
          to Northgate peaks is easy and scenic as well!
          Bo

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"
          <adkramoo@...> wrote:

          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Valarie
          > <sammiebean9@> wrote:
          > >
          > > We're going to be visiting Zion in May and will only
          > > have time to visit Kolob Canyon or Kolob Terrace.
          > > Which one do you recommend and why? We are first time
          > > visitors to Zion if that makes a difference. We'll
          > > have probably around 4-5 hours to visit whichever area
          > > we pick. Thanks!
          >
          > Hi Valerie
          >
          > One is a long canyon, with a technical section at the top or a
          steep
          > non tech entry, that leads into the Zion Narrows. Regardless of how
          > you do it, it is at least an all day affair and requires wetsuits
          and
          > special gear. The Kolob Terrace is an area and it has a road that
          > accesses it. It is quite lovely, starting in low desert and if
          taken
          > all the way to the Resevoir (if the end of the road is open-snow)
          > takes you up over 8000 feet in the aspens groves (likely not
          blooming
          > yet. The vistas are awesome and several trails offer hikes of good
          > quality. The Wildcat trailhead, to the Northgate peaks is 4 flat
          > miles, round trip and very nice.
          > Ram

        • sammiebean9
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
            Yes, I was thinking of the Kolob Canyons area, meaning the area near
            the northern visitor center and the little scenic drive there.
            Sorry for the confusion. As you can tell I'm not from the area!
            Anyway, thanks to both of you for your advice. It sounds like the
            Kolob Terrace drive will be a better experience for us. And thank
            you for the suggestion to hike to Northgate Peaks. I will have to
            investigate that further. Thanks again!
            Valarie

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > steep
            > > non tech entry, that leads into the Zion Narrows. Regardless of
            how
            > > you do it, it is at least an all day affair and requires
            wetsuits
            > and
            > > special gear. The Kolob Terrace is an area and it has a road
            that
            > > accesses it. It is quite lovely, starting in low desert and if
            > taken
            > > all the way to the Resevoir (if the end of the road is open-
            snow)
            > > takes you up over 8000 feet in the aspens groves (likely not
            > blooming
            > > yet. The vistas are awesome and several trails offer hikes of
            good
            > > quality. The Wildcat trailhead, to the Northgate peaks is 4 flat

          • adkramoo
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "sammiebean9"
              <sammiebean9@...> wrote:

              > Yes, I was thinking of the Kolob Canyons area, meaning the area near
              > the northern visitor center and the little scenic drive there.
              > Sorry for the confusion. As you can tell I'm not from the area!
              > Anyway, thanks to both of you for your advice. It sounds like the
              > Kolob Terrace drive will be a better experience for us. And thank
              > you for the suggestion to hike to Northgate Peaks. I will have to
              > investigate that further. Thanks again!
              > Valarie

              If you get the chance to do the drive up at sunrise or sunset or close
              to then....special lighting. Enjoy!
            • hikingonmyown
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
                I did not look back and read what type of hiking you are looking for, but if you want a nice
                causual hike with a spectacular end then Kolob Canyons is nicer than the Terrace. The
                middle Tayler Creek hike is a favorite of mine, outside the canyon. Nothing in Zion beats
                Zion Canyon. The kolob canyons visitors center is much quieter than the one in the main
                part of Zion though. I like that. If you are just driving then I the Terrrace is a better scenic
                drive compared to Kolob Canyons.