Homepage photo

  • garyclaytonpalmer
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 17, 2006
      Tanya, do you type your name at the bottom of each photo or do you
      have the words preprogramed on your computer to put on a shot?
    • garyclaytonpalmer
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
        Where's peek a boo canyon?
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
          Take the first entrance into Best Friend, from Mount Carmel Junction. Follow the soft sand
          trails to it. Its nice to have a 4WD or better yet ATV's. The sand is really soft. We took the
          rover in there last year though. The local tour guides take tourists to it when the East Fork
          of the Virgin River is too high to cross to get to Red Cave.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "garyclaytonpalmer"
          <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

          > Where's peek a boo canyon?

        • garyclaytonpalmer
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
            Best Friend?--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com,
            luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Take the first entrance into Best Friend, from Mount Carmel
            Junction. Follow the soft sand
            > trails to it. Its nice to have a 4WD or better yet ATV's. The sand
            is really soft. We took the
            > rover in there last year though. The local tour guides take
            tourists to it when the East Fork
            > of the Virgin River is too high to cross to get to Red Cave.
            >
            > --- In
            Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "garyclaytonpalmer"
            > <garyclaytonpalmer@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Where's peek a boo canyon?

          • garyclaytonpalmer
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
              So this is not the first canyon in the Ecalante as what I got when I
              looked under its name?--- In
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Take the first entrance into Best Friend, from Mount Carmel
              Junction. Follow the soft sand
              > trails to it. Its nice to have a 4WD or better yet ATV's. The
              sand is really soft. We took the
              > rover in there last year though. The local tour guides take
              tourists to it when the East Fork
              > of the Virgin River is too high to cross to get to Red Cave.
              >
              > --- In
              Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "garyclaytonpalmer"
              > <garyclaytonpalmer@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Where's peek a boo canyon?

            • garyclaytonpalmer
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
                How far from the road into Best Friend is it? Best Friend animal
                sancuary , Right?--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com,

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
                  Nope... That is a different Peek-a-Boo Canyon ;)

                  If I have time I will search for the directions in the group that Dean gave me long ago.

                  <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

                  > So this is not the first canyon in the Ecalante as what I got when I
                  > looked under its name?
                • bomabro84738
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
                    Beautiful homepage photo! Makes me want to go out and hike some canyons
                    with a "new rope". Hope you are feeling better now Tanya? The weather
                    sure was nice here in SG today. Went out for a nice long run after
                    work, and I can feel spring just around the corner :) With 28 inches of
                    new snow at Brian Head and surrounding area, I think we better get the
                    Duckies all patched up and ready for the Narrows......Yee---Haw!
                    Bo

                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Nope... That is a different Peek-a-Boo Canyon ;)
                    >

                    > If I have time I will search for the directions in the group that
                    Dean gave me long ago.

                    > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "garyclaytonpalmer"
                    > <garyclaytonpalmer@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So this is not the first canyon in the Ecalante as what I got when
                    > > looked under its name?

                  • Gary
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 31, 2007
                      Nice looking canyon! Was there much snow on Bunting Mesa?
                    • Dean Kurtz
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
                        North slopes had up to about 6" in places, but it was soft and easy to walk through.

                        Nice looking canyon! Was there much snow on Bunting Mesa?

                      • Clayton
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 29, 2007
                          I am guessing thats from last summer? Hows the canyon these days? Much
                          snow?
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007

                            Yes, it's from last summer.  So far there is not much here, but I think there in up North?

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton" <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

                            > I am guessing thats from last summer? Hows the canyon these days? Much
                            > snow?

                          • Clayton
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 16, 2008
                              Thats a cool shot. I forwarded it to friend and relatives who have
                              never seen quite a thing as sandstone formations like that. The white
                              is that snow or calcium carbonate?
                            • Gary Clayton Palmer
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 16, 2008
                                I know the Wave is near Buckskin Gulch right? how on a topo map do I
                                find it? It's not called the Wave on the map, right? Whats it near? Or
                                what name on the map do I look for?--- In

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                                  That would be the snow that was falling on our heads.  :D

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                                    It's in North Coyote Buttes..  Utah is part and Arizona is part.

                                    Bo's map

                                    http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-paria-canyon.htm

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008
                                      Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                                      areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                                      Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                                      buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch?--- In

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 17, 2008

                                        Cobra Arch does not need a permit.

                                        I think the permits are $5, yes.  If you are just doing a day hike through Buckskin permit are hassle free.  You can just get one at the trailhead at the self help station.

                                        http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

                                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                                        > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                                        > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                                        > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch

                                      • Henk
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                          I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
                                          but if it is you need a day use permit.
                                          Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
                                          When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
                                          I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon as
                                          I was under the impression I didn't need one.
                                          I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
                                          When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
                                          that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon wilderness area.

                                          Henk

                                          luvs_to_hike wrote:

                                          Cobra Arch does not need a permit.

                                          I think the permits are $5, yes.  If you are just doing a day hike through Buckskin permit are hassle free.  You can just get one at the trailhead at the self help station.

                                          http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/coyote- buttes.htm

                                          --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, "Gary Clayton Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@ ...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to hike the
                                          > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the wave.
                                          > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area above the
                                          > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch

                                        • Bo
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                            Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure to
                                            call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed. Both
                                            times the answer was no.

                                            We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                                            Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and
                                            away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not
                                            need a permit.

                                            There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it has
                                            nothing written about needing a permit.

                                            I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior
                                            to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules can
                                            change?

                                            Bo

                                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk
                                            <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

                                            > I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
                                            > but if it is you need a day use permit.
                                            > Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
                                            > When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
                                            > I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon
                                            as
                                            > I was under the impression I didn't need one.
                                            > I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
                                            > When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
                                            > that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon
                                            wilderness
                                            > area.
                                            >
                                            > Henk
                                            >
                                            > luvs_to_hike wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Cobra Arch does not need a permit.
                                            > >
                                            > > I think the permits are $5, yes. If you are just doing a day
                                            hike
                                            > > through Buckskin permit are hassle free. You can just get one at
                                            the
                                            > > trailhead at the self help station.
                                            > >
                                            > > http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm
                                            > > <http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm>
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton
                                            > > Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to
                                            hike the
                                            > > > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the
                                            wave.
                                            > > > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area
                                            above the
                                            > > > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch
                                            > >
                                            > > _

                                          • Henk
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008

                                              Bo,

                                              the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from wirepass.
                                              Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                                              station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                                              I'm talking about may 2007.

                                              Henk

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                                Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                                Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                                register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                                register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                                Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                                to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                                Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                                Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.

                                                From the information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are
                                                not within permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has
                                                changed since our last outing.

                                                Thanks Henk.

                                                <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

                                                > Bo,
                                                >
                                                > the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from
                                                wirepass.
                                                > Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                                                > station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                                                > I'm talking about may 2007.
                                                >
                                                > Henk
                                                >
                                                > Bo wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made
                                                sure to
                                                > > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed.
                                                Both
                                                > > times the answer was no.
                                                > >
                                                > > We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                                                > > Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned
                                                right and
                                                > > away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would
                                                not
                                                > > need a permit.
                                                > >
                                                > > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it
                                                has
                                                > > nothing written about needing a permit.
                                                > >
                                                > > I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office
                                                prior
                                                > > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                                can
                                                > > change?
                                                > >
                                                > > Bo

                                              • D. Kevin Hansen
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                                  Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                                  Kevin Hansen

                                                  To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
                                                  From: bomabro84738@...
                                                  Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:17:33 +0000
                                                  Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage photo

                                                  Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                                  Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                                  register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                                  register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                                  Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                                  to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                                  Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                                  Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.

                                                  From the information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are

                                                  <henk.auwema@ ...> wrote:

                                                  > Bo,
                                                  >
                                                  > the only thing I see that is different is that I hiked in from
                                                  wirepass.
                                                  > Probably that lies in the permit fee area. I went to the ranger
                                                  > station next day and they told me it was in the fee area.
                                                  > I'm talking about may 2007.
                                                  >
                                                  > Henk
                                                  >
                                                  > Bo wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made
                                                  sure to
                                                  > > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed.
                                                  Both
                                                  > > times the answer was no.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
                                                  > > Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned
                                                  right and
                                                  > > away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would
                                                  not
                                                  > > need a permit.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it
                                                  has
                                                  > > nothing written about needing a permit.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office
                                                  prior
                                                  > > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                                  can
                                                  > > change?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Bo

                                                  Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You IM, we give. Learn more.
                                                • Bo
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                                    Hi Kevin,
                                                    I e-mailed you and gave you my e-mail address here at my workplace.
                                                    Let me know what I might be able to do for you?

                                                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. Kevin Hansen"
                                                    <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

                                                    > Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                                    > Kevin Hansen
                                                    >

                                                    > To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@...: bomabro84738@...: Fri, 18 Jan
                                                    2008 14:17:33 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage
                                                    photo

                                                    > Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                                    Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                                    register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                                    register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                                    Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                                    to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                                    Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                                    Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.From the
                                                    information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are not within
                                                    permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has changed since
                                                    our last outing.Thanks Henk.Bo--- In
                                                    Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk <henk.auwema@>
                                                    wrote:>> > Bo,> > the only thing I see that is different is that I
                                                    hiked in from wirepass.> Probably that lies in the permit fee area.
                                                    I went to the ranger> station next day and they told me it was in
                                                    the fee area.> I'm talking about may 2007.> > Henk> > Bo wrote:> > >
                                                    Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure
                                                    to> > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was
                                                    needed. Both> > times the answer was no.> >> > We had to access
                                                    Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes> > Special Permit
                                                    Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and> > away from
                                                    Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not> > need a
                                                    permit.> >> > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra
                                                    Arch and it has> > nothing written about needing a permit.> >> > I
                                                    guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior>
                                                    > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                                    can> > change?> >> > Bo> > > >> >> >> >>

                                                    > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You
                                                    IM, we give.
                                                    > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

                                                  • Bo
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 18, 2008
                                                      Now I know what you want! I just put the pieces together! Mike Nad
                                                      and Gordon Larsen were just in the store on their way out to go Ice
                                                      Climbing at Kanaara Creek and I guess they know you and mentioned
                                                      that you climb with a friend of theirs in Kanab!

                                                      You want to get out to the head of "Spud" Canyon to see if there is
                                                      some ice! Unfortunately I have to work saturday and sunday I have
                                                      plans to do some hiking on the East Side with Tanya, Courtney, DB
                                                      and Mike. I can draw you a map and send it if you'd like. I would
                                                      imagine you would have to hike a couple miles to get to the head?

                                                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. Kevin Hansen"
                                                      <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

                                                      > Bo can you send me an email when you have a minute?
                                                      > Kevin Hansen
                                                      >

                                                      > To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@...: bomabro84738@...: Fri, 18 Jan
                                                      2008 14:17:33 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Homepage
                                                      photo

                                                      > Yes Henk, Wire Pass whether hiking to Buckskin Gulch or to North
                                                      Coyote Buttes Special Permit Area are "Fee" areas. There is a
                                                      register box just off the road and parking area that allows you to
                                                      register for day use in Wire Pass/Buckskin "Paria Canyon/Vermillion
                                                      Cliffs Wilderness" for $5. No overnight permits though; those have
                                                      to be acquired online or at either the Paria Contact Station or at
                                                      Kanab BLM Field office. Permits for the "Wave" (North Coyote Buttes
                                                      Special Permit Area) are much different though as you know.From the
                                                      information I recieved, Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch are not within
                                                      permit/fee areas? I need to call and see if this has changed since
                                                      our last outing.Thanks Henk.Bo--- In
                                                      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk <henk.auwema@>
                                                      wrote:>> > Bo,> > the only thing I see that is different is that I
                                                      hiked in from wirepass.> Probably that lies in the permit fee area.
                                                      I went to the ranger> station next day and they told me it was in
                                                      the fee area.> I'm talking about may 2007.> > Henk> > Bo wrote:> > >
                                                      Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure
                                                      to> > call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was
                                                      needed. Both> > times the answer was no.> >> > We had to access
                                                      Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes> > Special Permit
                                                      Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and> > away from
                                                      Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not> > need a
                                                      permit.> >> > There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra
                                                      Arch and it has> > nothing written about needing a permit.> >> > I
                                                      guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior>
                                                      > to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules
                                                      can> > change?> >> > Bo> > > >> >> >> >>

                                                      > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.  You
                                                      IM, we give.
                                                      > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

                                                    • iamfeliciaus
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 21, 2009
                                                        Joe, that is a beautiful photograph!
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 22, 2009
                                                          Thanks Felicia! That was close to Crater Hill -- I loved how the flowers completely engulfed the area. -Joe

                                                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "iamfeliciaus" <iamfeliciaus@...> wrote:

                                                          > Joe, that is a beautiful photograph!

                                                        • ~tanya
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jul 22, 2009