speaking of interesting peaks in Zion...

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      Red Butte? Anybody bag it? It always seems to beckon me when I go
      through the Terrace. But it's west of Hop Valley -- out of the park
      proper and I don't have my maps in front of me. Is that BLM or no
      man's land? :)
    • Courtney
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
        Could question, Joe. I really want that one, too.

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...>
        wrote:

        > Red Butte? Anybody bag it? It always seems to beckon me when I go
        > through the Terrace. But it's west of Hop Valley -- out of the park
        > proper and I don't have my maps in front of me. Is that BLM or no
        > man's land? :)

      • dnally
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
          The area around Red Butte was the focus of one of the most westernly
          descending pieces of the space shuttle, immediately after it blew up a
          few years ago. The piece was large enough for NASA radar to track it
          most of the way to the ground, and they calculated that it landed out
          there just a mile of so southeast of Red Butte. I was with Washington
          County SAR at that time, and we spent days out there, literally
          looking for a needle in the haystack. We combed over 25 square miles
          of terrain. I climbed some of the peaks out there, but not Red Butte.
          Some of the other SAR guys climbed it. We never found the piece(s),
          so if one of you find something out that way, you'll be heroes and
          maybe get a medal or reward or something, who knows?

          There are lots of groves of gnarly gamble oak out there and lots of
          little nooks and crannies for something to easily be missed or lost.

          Dave
          dNally