Zion Hikes - Tanya & Bo

  • W. Reid White
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 30 8:24 PM
      Howdy,

      I'll be spending the day Saturday (08 October)in Zion - if y'all
      are hiking I'd love to tag along. But if your schedules don't allow,
      I'll explore on my own and would still love to met you (maybe a beer
      and/or dinner?). Plus, you might be able to help me find a good home
      for a Coleman cooler I bought but can't fly home.

      Have a great evening,
      Reid
    • adkramoo
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 1, 2005
        So our hero's went to do Keyhole, before going up to the rendezvous
        potluck, last evening. Grabbing a canyon in the late PM on the way to
        a social gathering..........Big style points!!
        Today, rumor has them on Mt. of the Sun. can't wait for the details.
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 1, 2005
          Hi Reid,

          We will start talking about what we are going to do ... tonight maybe :)

          I hope we can all get together!

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "W. Reid White"
          <TarHeel.Canyoneer@g...> wrote:
          > Howdy,
          >
          > I'll be spending the day Saturday (08 October)in Zion - if y'all
          > are hiking I'd love to tag along. But if your schedules don't allow,
          > I'll explore on my own and would still love to met you (maybe a beer
          > and/or dinner?). Plus, you might be able to help me find a good home
          > for a Coleman cooler I bought but can't fly home.
          >
          > Have a great evening,
          > Reid
        • W. Reid White
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 1, 2005
            Damn! I've just go to move out here. Let's see, four years and two
            months to retirement... now all I have to do is convince Mary there
            are better places than North Carolina to live (and folks with far more
            style points to live near)!

            Have a great evening,
            Reid

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 1, 2005
              Way cool! I'm doing the One Day Basic with Zion Adventure Company on
              Thursday, then back to Kanab for my last day volunteering on Friday.
              I'm game for whatever hike y'all decide on, and can be back to Zion
              as early as sunrise Saturday. Long, short - whatever is workable for
              you will be great with me. It would be fun to hike with folks
              instead of my usual solo. If Saturday doesn't work out, I'll be
              there Sunday as well, until sometime around noon - when I have to
              head out to Vegas to catch my flight home.

              Many thanks and have a great evening,
              Reid

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Reid,
              >
              > We will start talking about what we are going to do ... tonight
              maybe :)

              > I hope we can all get together!
              >
              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "W. Reid White"
              > <TarHeel.Canyoneer@g...> wrote:
              > > Howdy,
              > >
              > > I'll be spending the day Saturday (08 October)in Zion - if
              y'all
              > > are hiking I'd love to tag along. But if your schedules don't
              allow,
              > > I'll explore on my own and would still love to met you (maybe a
              beer
              > > and/or dinner?). Plus, you might be able to help me find a good
              home
              > > for a Coleman cooler I bought but can't fly home.
              > >
              > > Have a great evening,
              > > Reid
            • W. Reid White
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 1, 2005

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                  We narrowed next weekend down to ....

                  Boundry Canyon, Oak Creek (eye of the needle), Barrier Falls.....

                  <TarHeel.Canyoneer@g...> wrote:
                  > Way cool! I'm doing the One Day Basic with Zion Adventure Company on
                  > Thursday, then back to Kanab for my last day volunteering on Friday.
                  > I'm game for whatever hike y'all decide on, and can be back to Zion
                  > as early as sunrise Saturday. Long, short - whatever is workable for
                  > you will be great with me. It would be fun to hike with folks
                  > instead of my usual solo. If Saturday doesn't work out, I'll be
                  > there Sunday as well, until sometime around noon - when I have to
                  > head out to Vegas to catch my flight home.
                  >
                  > Many thanks and have a great evening,
                  > Reid
                • adkramoo
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > We narrowed next weekend down to ....
                    >
                    > Boundry Canyon, Oak Creek (eye of the needle), Barrier Falls.....

                    Great, great and....ahhhh....Full Right Fork would be great. Barrier??
                    Ummm.
                    You'll have a good time regardless.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                      What's wrong with Barrier Falls? I have the Tom Jones Barrier Falls photos in many of my
                      hotel rooms. It looks beautiful! Its not a good hike?

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                        Howdy,

                        I'm all yours - do with me what you will <g>! I have to do some
                        reading to learn more about what I'm in for, but have only 3 minutes
                        left on my battery. I'll holler back.

                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > We narrowed next weekend down to ....
                        >
                        > Boundry Canyon, Oak Creek (eye of the needle), Barrier Falls.....
                        >

                        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "W. Reid White"
                        >
                        > <TarHeel.Canyoneer@g...> wrote:
                        > > Way cool! I'm doing the One Day Basic with Zion Adventure
                        Company on
                        > > Thursday, then back to Kanab for my last day volunteering on
                        Friday.
                        > > I'm game for whatever hike y'all decide on, and can be back to
                        Zion
                        > > as early as sunrise Saturday. Long, short - whatever is workable
                        for
                        > > you will be great with me. It would be fun to hike with folks
                        > > instead of my usual solo. If Saturday doesn't work out, I'll be
                        > > there Sunday as well, until sometime around noon - when I have to
                        > > head out to Vegas to catch my flight home.
                        > >
                        > > Many thanks and have a great evening,
                        > > Reid
                      • W. Reid White
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                          Having read quite a few of Tanya & Bo's TRs, and perused a LOT of the
                          photos, of that I have no doubt.

                          Happy Trails,

                          <adkramoo@a...> wrote:
                          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > We narrowed next weekend down to ....
                          > >
                          > > Boundry Canyon, Oak Creek (eye of the needle), Barrier Falls.....
                          >
                          > Great, great and....ahhhh....Full Right Fork would be great.
                          Barrier??
                          > Ummm.
                          > You'll have a good time regardless.
                        • luvs_to_hike
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                            :)

                            <TarHeel.Canyoneer@g...> wrote:
                            > Having read quite a few of Tanya & Bo's TRs, and perused a LOT of the
                            > photos, of that I have no doubt.
                            >
                            > Happy Trails,
                            > Reid
                          • adkramoo
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > What's wrong with Barrier Falls? I have the Tom Jones Barrier Falls
                              photos in many of my
                              > hotel rooms. It looks beautiful! Its not a good hike?

                              Barrier Falls is lovely. The half mile from Double Falls to Barrier is
                              fantastic. The 6.5 miles to Double Falls has a few nice spots, but the
                              hike is warm, long and mostly tedious. AND you have to do it twice,
                              back and forth! But what is worse, when looking up at Barrier
                              Falls....Knowing that what is right above is so amazing...and you
                              can't get there!! Frustrating (You can, but big penelty points, for a
                              mistake, deep in the outback.) Way better to come down Right Fork.
                              Much more play for the pay. IMHO
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                                We talked about this one today. It would be nice if Bo can get 2 days away. We have 4 day
                                backpack soon in Grand Canyon, but perhaps he can do it soon. :) --- or we can do that
                                hike later.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 2, 2005
                                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                                  > We talked about this one today. It would be nice if Bo can get 2
                                  days away. We have 4 day
                                  > backpack soon in Grand Canyon, but perhaps he can do it soon. :)
                                  --- or we can do that
                                  > hike later.

                                  While the Grand Alcove is a world class camping spot, one can go with
                                  light packs, some descent route finding and do the whole route in 9.5
                                  hours, as a day trip. Certainly easier than a one day Icebox. Other
                                  and more fun entries into the Right Fork, than Wildcat, add an hour or
                                  so to the time. 17.5 mile day, but many of the miles are easy. Reasonable.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                    That sounds temping! I like one day hikes.

                                    Add a few hours for photography and its still a nice one day trip. :)

                                    We did do 24 miles in a day on the East Rim, to Cable to Deer Trap to Weeping Rock, but
                                    that was only because I had already photographed East Rim, and only had to get the points
                                    at Deertrap and Cable Mountain --- so it was a really light photo intensive day. :)

                                    Ice Box was a LONG hard day for sure!!!! --- But awesome!!! :)

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                      > That sounds temping! I like one day hikes.

                                      If you decide to go this way (RF), ping me on the side and I will
                                      suggest some must do and beautiful variations of the standard route. I
                                      leave on Thursday, for 19 days, so before then. Your other plans are
                                      great..Boundary, SF Oak are splendid days AND you get another run up
                                      the MIA as a bonus! ;-)
                                      NF Oak is very good too.
                                    • Bo Beck
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                        Ok....Think about it Ram......Tanya took 300 photos in Keyhole???? 5
                                        hour Keyhole trip...Less than 1/2 mile hike......Now were talking a
                                        17.5 mile hike??? Maybe an easy dayhike??? We'll cut it down to 30
                                        photos an hour, one every 2 minutes.......Nah! I dont think 9.5 hours
                                        will quite do it! Maybe 9.5 hours each day for 2 days!
                                        Bo

                                        <adkramoo@a...> wrote:
                                        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                                        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > We talked about this one today. It would be nice if Bo can get 2
                                        > days away. We have 4 day
                                        > > backpack soon in Grand Canyon, but perhaps he can do it soon. :)
                                        > --- or we can do that
                                        > > hike later.
                                        >
                                        > While the Grand Alcove is a world class camping spot, one can go with
                                        > light packs, some descent route finding and do the whole route in 9.5
                                        > hours, as a day trip. Certainly easier than a one day Icebox. Other
                                        > and more fun entries into the Right Fork, than Wildcat, add an hour or
                                        > so to the time. 17.5 mile day, but many of the miles are easy.
                                        Reasonable.
                                      • Shane B.
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                          ***Oak Creek (eye of the needle)***

                                          For great pictures this is the canyon you want to do. Some of the best Zion pictures I have seen were take in Oak Creek.

                                          The cover of my guidebook "Canyoneering Zion" (http://www.cafepress.com/climbutah) was taken in Oak Creek.

                                          Tom has a great Oak Creek pic of Hank in the waterfall that he uses to advertise some of his Imlay Gear.

                                          Shane

                                        • Shane B.
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                            ***Tanya took 300 photos in Keyhole????***

                                            Tanya certainly gets her moneys worth out of a camera :-)

                                            And the only time I have seen her hurry was when thunder was ringing through
                                            the canyon.

                                            Shane
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                              ~innocent smile~

                                              Its good I dont post ALL those photos ;p

                                              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo Beck" <bomabro84738@y...>
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                I have always been intrigued by that Eye of the Needle photo! I might have to drag a print
                                                camera down that one too. ;)

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                  Shane Dear..... that was YOU.... I just follow the lead. ;)

                                                  Its always those words... "put the camera away and lets get out of here" that I dread. If I
                                                  dont hurry I will get left behind! Alone I would probably be too much into the photos and
                                                  stay and take my chances with the floods. (Very dumb) Its good I am not the lead!!!! :)

                                                  I did rush a little after the cougar thing. Immediate danger gets my attention! :)

                                                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Shane B." <shane@s...> wrote:
                                                  > Tanya certainly gets her moneys worth out of a camera :-)
                                                  >
                                                  > And the only time I have seen her hurry was when thunder was ringing through
                                                  > the canyon.
                                                  >
                                                  > Shane
                                                • Shane B.
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                    ***I might have to drag a print camera down that one too. ;)***

                                                    With all the flowing water a print camera might be worth while. It would
                                                    allow you to get some of those slow shutter silky looking water shots.

                                                    Shane
                                                  • Stan McQueen
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                      By "print" camera do you mean "film" camera as opposed to digital? You can
                                                      take these photos with a digital camera as well as a film camera.

                                                      Stan
                                                      =======================
                                                      Photography by Stan McQueen
                                                      http://www.smcqueen.com

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                        Hi Stan :)

                                                        I do ;p

                                                        Its been so long since I picked mine up I even forgot what they are called ;)

                                                        Do you use digital or film? I have enjoyed your online photos.

                                                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Stan McQueen" <smcqueen@c...>

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                          Good idea. :)

                                                          I would not go to that expense for the website, but I might get a few shots of something
                                                          printed. Eye of the Needle might be one of those places! I was thinking that Birch Hollow
                                                          is another and Kolob Canyon when there are some nice waterfalls as well.

                                                          Do you ever take a print camera into the canyons?

                                                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Shane B." <shane@s...> wrote:
                                                          > With all the flowing water a print camera might be worth while. It would
                                                          > allow you to get some of those slow shutter silky looking water shots.
                                                          >
                                                          > Shane
                                                        • Stan McQueen
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                            I use both digital and film. Digital: Nikon CP8400 (8 MP) and Nikon CP5000
                                                            (5 MP). Film: Nikon F3 (35mm), Nikon Action Touch (waterproof 35mm), Canon
                                                            Elph Sport (underwater APS), Mamiya RB67 (medium format), and Canham 4x5
                                                            view camera. I scan 35mm on my Polaroid 4000 35mm (and APS) scanner (4000
                                                            ppi resolution) and medium format and 4x5 film on my Polaroid 45i scanner
                                                            (2000 ppi resolution). I print on my Epson 2200 printer (up to 13x19) or my
                                                            Epson 7600 (up to 24x36).

                                                            I started out taking one of my digitals into canyons, but even though
                                                            they're insured I was concerned about damaging them. (I don't have a neato
                                                            underwater housing like you do.) So I got the Action Touch and the Elph
                                                            Sport to try out. The Birch Hollow/Orderville and Pine Creek photos on my
                                                            site were taken with the Elph Sport. (http://www.smcqueen.com/galleries).

                                                            You should be able to do anything with your digital that you could do with a
                                                            35mm camera. (I can do lots of things with my 4x5 that I couldn't do with
                                                            digital or 35mm, such as perspective correction, but carrying my 4x5 outfit
                                                            into a canyon is just not on the menu. Not only is the weight and bulk
                                                            prohibitive, but I'm not eager to put several thousand dollars of camera and
                                                            lenses at risk!) If you want long exposures to make silky-looking water, you
                                                            might need to carry a light tripod and possibly some neutral density
                                                            filters, but it's not out of the question. I have carried a small tripod and
                                                            a 35mm camera with flash attachment and flashbulbs into caves requiring 100'
                                                            rappels and ascents.

                                                            If you want prints from your digital, Costco and Wal-mart actually make
                                                            pretty good prints, depending on the talent of the local operator.

                                                            Stan
                                                            =======================
                                                            Photography by Stan McQueen
                                                            http://www.smcqueen.com

                                                            Its been so long since I picked mine up I even forgot what they are called
                                                            ;)

                                                            wrote:
                                                            > By "print" camera do you mean "film" camera as opposed to digital? You can
                                                            > take these photos with a digital camera as well as a film camera.
                                                            >
                                                            > Stan
                                                            > Photography by Stan McQueen
                                                            > http://www.smcqueen.com

                                                            If you would like to read posts on the net instead of taking email: Visit us
                                                            on the web
                                                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_National_Park_Hiking/

                                                            To stop mail:
                                                            Yahoo! Groups Links