TR on Bull Valley Gorge

  • bruce silliman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2005
      Headed south of Bryce Canyon today to finally do Bull Valley Gorge.
      Beautiful day with nary a cloud in the sky. Stopped in Cannonville to get
      trail conditions and Jeannie said it would be wet and muddy. She suggested
      carrying a rope for the 12 foot dropoff.

      Undeterred and confident in my down climbing skills developed in four
      canyons I drove out and headed down into the canyon. First drop off of 7
      feet had a tree stuck there so no problem for this guy.

      Just prior to the 'big' one I came across an almost dried up pool. I stepped
      in a quickly sunk up to my calves. While I wanted to practice my anchor
      building skills I decided to stem down and was quickly at the bottom and
      faced with more water and what looked like deeper mud. In I went hoping not
      to fall over into the slop--this time I sank up to my knees.

      I started out the hole and had taken two steps when I saw (never heard) a
      rattlesnake 4 feet in front of me. "Holy Shit" I exclaimed and jumped back
      into the mud. I started running my options through my head, threw some
      rocks at the snake who only hunkered down behind his body. Then the
      lightbulb came on in my head. I brought the rope so now I can use it!

      I threw the whole thing on top of the 'huge' rattler, keeping one end in my
      hand, and quickly stepped past the beast pulling the rope behind me. Whew!

      The rest of the trip was stupendous canyon viewing and a few more mud
      puddles, the final one where the mud came up to my mid-thigh.

      I finished hiking back up Willis Creek to my car and hurried home where a
      lot of water returned me to my natural state.

      I did post some photos on canyoneering and canyons in album Bull Valley
      Gorge. Hope you enjoy.

      Bruce from Bryce

      P.S. Next time I'll post to Zion_National_Park_Hiking so I don't offend
      anyone.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
        Now thats an Epic! :)

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@h...>