Re: Safe canyoneering

  • Tom Jones
    Message 1 of 77 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > We dodged Icicles on your Many Pools hike on the way to the East
      Rim ;)

      There are canyons in Zion that develop huge icicles, and they gotta
      crash down at some point. Sun melts the snow. Melt water trickles
      down toward the canyon, where it goes out of the sun, starts to
      freeze. I know Engelstead forms these big, dangerous 'cicles.

      Again, important to chose your canyons carefully.

      Tom
    • bruce silliman
      Message 77 of 77 , Sep 2, 2005
        In most areas of southern utah it snows when the temperature is between
        36-40 degrees. When the snow melts there is an actual increase in the air
        temperature.

        Slippery and slick I bet that red rock is.

        Bruce from Bryce