Re: Shuttle Service

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      Sorry Tom, didn't mean to leave you out... :) I need to browse
      everybody's sites more often to keep fresh on what everyone is
      saying!

      Now am I the only person who has heard of or used Mike's Zion Canyon
      Transportation? He is (was?) a small-time operation, but he does
      (did?) pretty good business. If anybody drives through Virgin, keep
      an eye out and let me know if he's still around. (Look for a lot
      with several beat-up white vans.) It would be a shame if he folded.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
      <ratagoni@x> wrote:
      > What, you leaving ME out of that, Joe?
      >
      > Shuttle information available at the bottom of my Zion page:
      > http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/
      >
      > Which says:
      >
      > Zion Rock and Mountain Guides offers shuttles twice daily to
      > Chamberlain's Ranch and other East Side trailheads (6:00am and
      > 9:00am). Reservations required. Call about special Shuttle/Gear
      > Rental Combo packages. They also offer shuttles to Lee Pass, Lava
      > Point, Wildcat Canyon Trailhead and the East Rim Trailhead.
      > Call 435-772-3303
      >
      > Zion Adventure Company Shuttle Service to Chamberlain's Ranch
      and
      > other East Side trailheads departs from 36 Lion Blvd every day at
      > 6:30am and 9:30am. Reservations required. Custom shuttles
      available
      > upon request. Call 435-772-1001
      >
      > Tom
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB"
      <joe@c...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > If not available, Tanya and Shane have alternatives posted on
      > their
      > > sites. (I'll let them throw out the links.)

    • K. McNitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 17, 2005
        I would like to thank Tanya and Shane and others who
        provided information either via this or the

        cayoneering groups or their personal website that
        provided hiking information that helped in maximizing
        our vacation in Southern Utah.

        We been back a week and already talking about going
        back and at the rate Tanya is adding to the list of
        hikes that I want to try we will just need to stay
        even longer. My wife mentioned that she wants to do
        Pine Creek and Keyhole the next time we are out so its
        time to buy some equipment.

        I was surprised on the amount of rain we had while in
        Zion. I expected thundershowers but thought they clear
        up by 4pm but it felt like they hung on till dark.
        With the afternoon rains and just not being
        comfortable either in a canyon (flash floods) or on a
        ridge (lightening) we didn't get in as many
        afternoon/evening hikes as we wanted.

        As far as helpful ranges went the order would have to
        be Bryce, Capitol Reef, Zion. It just felt like the
        Zion rangers were unwilling to give information unless
        you new exactly the question to ask or just didn't
        know. Maybe it has to do with reduced funding but you
        would think the rangers should be sent out to hike the
        trails and the canyons on a regular bases.

        The gnats/no-see ums in Capitol Reef almost had us
        leaving the first day but after applying bug dope we
        had a great time.

        Moab was HOT and up on Dead Horse Point is was really
        windy the last 2 nights we ended up taking the
        dividing wall out of the tent so the air could flow
        through with using the wall as a sail.

        Here is a link to some pictures mostly of our kids,
        <http://share.shutterfly.com/os.jspi=EeAM2jZs1Zt3Dho&open=1>

        Here is a recap of our vacation by Day
        June 17th
        Left 3:00 am est time and drove to Colorado Springs
        (16 hours)
        June 18th
        Drove Colorado Springs to Mancos State Park
        Meet up with my brother who drove his motorbike up
        from Los Alamos to see us.

        June 19th
        Mesa Verde national park: we do Balcony House and
        cliff palace and then need to take my brother back to
        his bike so he can make the drive home.
        We went to Cortez and enjoyed some swimming in the
        outdoor community pool ( Thanks people of Cortez it
        was only $2 to swim) this lasted until a whirlwind
        formed right over the pool and shredded the canopy and
        shattered all the plastic lawn chairs. They had never
        seen anything like it before but it had sent some of
        the umbrellas and peoples clothes I would say over 300
        feet in the air.
        Stopped at Walmart to buy a pair of cheap sun glasses
        since the bright sun was causing my eyes to hurt as we
        left Mesa Verde

        June 20th
        Mesa Verde
        Park Point Overlook, Step House, Badger House
        Community Trail, Spruce Tree House and PetroGlyph
        Point Trail.

        Kids wanted to go back to the pool but it was still
        closed so we went to the community center with an
        indoor pool/water park the kids where allowed to go by
        themselves and it was only 2 dollars.

        we went to Walmart to buy a few things and another
        pair of sunglasses to replace the pair I managed to
        lose in 24 hours.

        June 21th
        Left Mancos state park and drove to Watchman
        Campground in Zion
        Sopped at the 4 corners monument.
        Had Lunch overlooking Lake Powell
        Zion:
        Middle Emerald pool trail to upper pool and then
        back the lower pool.
        The beginning of the middle trail was in really
        bad shape and after the rain that night I heard they
        closed the middle trail.
        Hiked the Riverside walk to see what the Virgin was
        like 200+ cfs.

        June 22th
        Canyoneering with Zion Adventure Company at Lower
        Waters Canyon. This was truly a highlight of our trip.

        June 23th
        Hidden Canyon and then continued up towards
        observation point. We planned to do observation point
        first but my older daughter wasn't feeling well so I
        hiked to hidden canyon with my other daughter planning
        that to be it for the morning hike, but as we were
        coming out of the canyon my wife and daughter arrived
        so we went back up Hidden canyon to show them the arch
        and then decided to try and make observation point. We
        made it past the east rim trail but it was getting
        just too hot and so we called it quits and headed
        back.

        June 24th
        Angels Landing - can see why this is not recommended
        for people scared of heights.

        Clear Creek didn't make it as far as we wanted do
        the on and off again rain.
        Canyon overlook did not get to linger and enjoy do
        to the thunderstorm that started up again.

        June 25th
        The Subway from the Bottom

        June 26th
        Left Zion drove to Cedar City luckily I-15 was open
        again to replenish some groceries and drove through
        Cedar Breaks take pictures of the kids with the 8 ft
        snow drifts and then continued to Bryce Canyon. I hope
        they have all the fires out and nobody was injured.
        Drove to all the Bryce Canyon overlooks and then
        did ranger Rim Walk at 7:30pm

        June 27th
        Bryce Canyon
        Bryce Point down to Wall Street then across
        queens garden and then up to to Sunrise point
        Shower
        Sunrise point down to Tower bridge and back.

        June 28th
        Left Bryce and drove to Capitol Reef
        Freemont Waterfall, Hickman Bridge, Capitol Gorge,
        and Grand Wash

        June 29th
        Capitol Reef
        Burrow Wash, Freemont Waterfall
        Burrow was a great. we made it through 2 sets of
        slots, the water was cold but never more then waist
        deep. My wife got a little claustrophobic in the first
        slot but after going back out and having lunch and
        then not wearing her sunglasses and hat she was okay.
        At a couple of the choke stone I was not sure if I was
        going to be able to get up them but somehow managed.
        Going up we were a little worried about getting back
        down but this turned out not to be the case we had not
        problems coming down mostly ecause the drops where
        less my hanging height and once down I could spot the
        girls.

        June 30th
        Capitol Reef
        Sulfur Creek - This was a great hike. I ended up
        belaying my wife and kids from the right side (LDC) of
        the last waterfall. The description said the left but
        our water shoes just didn't grip well and the exposure
        was too great to try the other side. I ended up hiking
        about 1.5 miles of the road walk back to the car
        before a nice lady stopped and gave me a lift and even
        gave me an apricot that she had picked at the orchard.

        July 1st
        Drove from Capitol Reef to Dead Horse Point State
        Park but made stop and hiked Up Little Wild horse
        Canyon.
        Canyonlands: Drove to the look outs and hiked to
        Mesa arch

        July 2nd
        Arches - Hiked Devils Garden and boy did it feel
        like we were visiting the devil as we made our way
        back through the primitive trail in 100+ deg.
        Went into town to talk to Matt Moore ( Desert
        Highlights) about Cayoneering but with the 100+ deg
        weather we decided to do rafting the next day.
        Cooled of in the Colorado River, first by the boat
        lunch just before crossing the river when coming into
        Moab and then later after driving down Potash Road at
        one of the Rec sites.
        Sunset at Deadhorse Point

        July 3rd
        Moab- Went rafting on the Colorado River.
        Arches- hiked to double arch and then to delicate
        arch.
        Sunset at Deadhorse Point

        July 4th
        Left Dead horse point and drove to Lincoln
        Nebraska. Ended up watching the fireworks from the
        parking lot of out hotel.

        July 5th
        Drove from Lincoln back home. Traffic and
        construction around Chicago is the worst.

        Next Time we make it out that way I hope to be able to
        stop in and say hi.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Shane B.
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 17, 2005
          Sounds like you really had a full plate. Thanks for the TR.

          To making hitching a ride between trailheads easier (as in Sulphur Creek) make a big easy to read sign that reads "NEXT TRAILHEAD". I have found this really speeds up the hitching/begging :-)

          Next I'm going to make me a big sign that reads "NEED BEER".... I'll let you all know how that works out ;-)

          Shane

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 17, 2005
            I'm glad you had a great trip! Bo and I were just saying the same about the Rangers at
            Bryce today! Some rangers do need to get out more. ;)

            " Zion:
            Middle Emerald pool trail to upper pool and then back the lower pool. The beginning of
            the middle trail was in really bad shape and after the rain that night I heard they
            closed the middle trail. Hiked the Riverside walk to see what the Virgin was like 200+ cfs.

            I love this hike... even if the middle is closed, the lower offers it all.

            June 22th
            Canyoneering with Zion Adventure Company at Lower Water Canyon. This was truly a
            highlight of our trip.

            Water Canyon is a jewel!

            June 23th
            Hidden Canyon and then continued up towards observation point. We planned to do
            observation point first but my older daughter wasn't feeling well so I hiked to hidden
            canyon with my other daughter planning that to be it for the morning hike, but as we
            were coming out of the canyon my wife and daughter arrived so we went back up Hidden
            canyon to show them the arch and then decided to try and make observation point. We
            made it past the east rim trail but it was getting just too hot and so we called it quits and
            headed back.

            Glad you saw the arch. Its easy to miss! The views from the Observation Point Trail are
            almost as good as from the top so dont feel bad.

            June 24th
            Angels Landing - can see why this is not recommended for people scared of heights.

            Awesome hike though!

            Clear Creek didn't make it as far as we wanted do the on and off again rain. Canyon
            overlook did not get to linger and enjoy do to the thunderstorm that started up again.

            I love hiking in Thunder Storms... but dont tell anyone! Its is not safe. :)

            June 25th
            The Subway from the Bottom

            Did you see the waterfall room? I got to see it this time. :)

            June 26th
            Left Zion drove to Cedar City luckily I-15 was open again to replenish some groceries and
            drove through Cedar Breaks take pictures of the kids with the 8 ft snow drifts and then
            continued to Bryce Canyon. I hope they have all the fires out and nobody was injured.
            Drove to all the Bryce Canyon overlooks and then did ranger Rim Walk at 7:30pm

            Both great parks, but I am partial to Cedar Breaks :)

            June 27th
            Bryce Canyon - Bryce Point down to Wall Street then across queens garden and then up to
            to Sunrise point Shower Sunrise point down to Tower bridge and back."

            Wall Street is open ... yahoo! :)

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 17, 2005
              "Have Beer" might get you a ride MUCH faster! ;)

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Shane B." <shane@s...> wrote:
              > Sounds like you really had a full plate. Thanks for the TR.
              >
              > To making hitching a ride between trailheads easier (as in Sulphur Creek) make a big
              easy to read sign that reads "NEXT TRAILHEAD". I have found this really speeds up the
              hitching/begging :-)

              > Next I'm going to make me a big sign that reads "NEED BEER".... I'll let you all know how
              that works out ;-)

              > Shane
            • Kevin McNitt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 18, 2005
                <shane@s...> wrote:
                > Sounds like you really had a full plate. Thanks for the TR.
                >
                > To making hitching a ride between trailheads easier (as in Sulphur
                Creek) make a big easy to read sign that reads "NEXT TRAILHEAD". I
                have found this really speeds up the hitching/begging :-)

                > Next I'm going to make me a big sign that reads "NEED BEER"....
                I'll let you all know how that works out ;-)

                > Shane

                I tried the sign thing but my sign was to small and hard to see with
                the cars flying by at 55 mph. I might had better luck begging at the
                visitor center but it was pretty slow at the time we were there so I
                decided I might as well walk and see if anyone stops. I think I was
                passed by maybe 5 or 6 vehicles.
              • Kevin McNitt
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 18, 2005

                  > June 25th
                  > The Subway from the Bottom
                  >
                  > Did you see the waterfall room? I got to see it this time. :)

                  Not sure, we made it to Keyhole falls, there was a big log there
                  that I climbed up to explore a little at the top. THe kids where
                  cold from the pothole right before the falls so we went back down a
                  little and had lunch in the sunshine and decided it was time to
                  start back.

                  > June 27th
                  > Bryce Canyon - Bryce Point down to Wall Street then across queens
                  garden and then up to
                  > to Sunrise point Shower Sunrise point down to Tower bridge and
                  back."

                  > Wall Street is open ... yahoo! :)

                  THe Navaho(?) loop was still closed but you can hike up to wall
                  street from QueensGarden of course this might have changed in the
                  last 3 weeks.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 18, 2005
                    You probably saw it then. It was under that log you climbed up.

                    That must have been some slide on Navajo Loop to still have it closed.

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin McNitt" <mcnitt@y...> wrote:
                    > Not sure, we made it to Keyhole falls, there was a big log there
                    > that I climbed up to explore a little at the top. THe kids where
                    > cold from the pothole right before the falls so we went back down a
                    > little and had lunch in the sunshine and decided it was time to
                    > start back.

                    > THe Navaho(?) loop was still closed but you can hike up to wall
                    > street from Queens Garden of course this might have changed in the
                    > last 3 weeks.
                  • Shane B.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 18, 2005
                      ***I tried the sign thing but my sign was to small and hard to see with the cars flying by at 55 mph.***

                      My sign is 11x17 with big black letters. I had it laminated and carry it when ever I need to hitch. The other thing that works like a charm in Sulphur is to have my 7 y/o daoughter stand with me :-)

                      Shane

                    • K. McNitt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                        I would first like to wish a belated Merry Christmas
                        and hope your new year brings you many wonderful
                        hiking opportunities.

                        We enjoyed ourselves so much last summer in the
                        Southern Utah that we are heading that way again this
                        summer.

                        Our plans call for 3+ weeks of vacation. Last year we
                        came out during the last 3 weeks of June and the first
                        part of July.
                        We missed out on doing the Narrows overnight hike due
                        to high water levels but loved all 5 days we spent in
                        Zion and wishing we could have stayed longer. We also
                        spent time in Bryce, Capitol Reef and Arches.

                        Our plan will hopefully include the following

                        Rim to Rim hike the Grand Canyon ( 3 nights )
                        Boat ( House or Motor) on Lake Powell ( 3 to 5 nights
                        ) (Kids request)
                        Hike the Narrows ( 1 night )
                        Cayoneering - TBD
                        Hiking - TBD
                        Crash one of Tom's canyoneering festivals to say "Hi"
                        and/or drop by other gatherings to say "Hi".
                        Plan to stop along the way in Colorado to get in some
                        hikes and break up the drive.

                        What 3 weeks would you recommend to visit between June
                        20th and August 31st?

                        Thanks,

                        Kevin McNitt
                        ( SW Michigan )