Re: zion 50 miler

  • jeff branin
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 30, 2005
      If Bo and comrades are hiking west to east I would expect more wheezing
      than breezing when they pass you all by. I could picture myself
      looking up at Cable Mtn, looking back at that cheeseburger, looking up
      at Cable Mtn and heading back to that cheeseburger.

      On to another subject, you mentioned you had permits to Coyote Buttes.
      Is it still possible to show up at the Kanab office and pick up a
      permit or was that an off season deal? jeff

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      >. . . Joe and I volunteered to eat Cheeseburgers and Pepsi at the
      lodge as you guys breeze by,
      > if that counts as a support group. ;)
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff branin"
      <1fnjef@e...> wrote:
      > > Is the 50 miler strictly a Beck Trek or will there be others making
      the journey as well? jeff
    • jeff branin
      Message 2 of 26 , May 13 8:08 PM
        Messages below are from a year ago. Reckon Bo didn't go last year
        because of snow hanging around in the Kolob section. Glad you all
        didn't hand us cheeseburgers. If we had downed them in the Grotto,
        they would have come up again on the upper Echo.

        Last Saturday hauled 50 fine miles in Zion. This Saturday just
        coolin' my heels in the Haw River, y'all. jeff

        Message 3 of 26 , May 17 6:31 AM

          How sweet and totally unexpected!!!!!  Thank you for the gift.  I got it right before I went to bed last night.  Nikki got it this morning and was thrilled!

          Message 4 of 26 , May 18 8:10 AM
            Your welcome. And no calories included as i recall. Southern Utah
            folk are right up there with the Carolina folk when it comes to
            southern hospitality. Not sure who had it tougher, those on the hike
            or those in support. An all day into the night effort either
            way. jeff

            Message 5 of 26 , May 18 4:35 PM

              The support part was a breeze.  :) I was so happy you took my place for the day at Bo's side.

              I googled your name and it seems you are no stranger to long treks.  Marathan Man Jeff!  No wonder you look like you are in your 30's!

              You don't count nuts and candy as calories? :">  Bo really enjoyed hiking with you and only has great things to say about you!  I am glad Nikki and I could make your trip just a bit easier and I could not think of having you both drive home after all that!

              PS...  Kat is still hangin' in there  and Nikki can deal with that since Chris  now has a record deal, but she no longer watches.

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff branin" <ebranin@...> wrote:

              > Your welcome. And no calories included as i recall. Southern Utah
              > folk are right up there with the Carolina folk when it comes to
              > southern hospitality. Not sure who had it tougher, those on the hike
              > or those in support. An all day into the night effort either
              > way. jeff

            • bomabro84738
              Message 6 of 26 , May 18 6:05 PM
                Jeff...it was super having such a great hiking partner! Thanks! I
                have to admit that the support from Tanya and Nikki was awesome and I
                think you'll agree!. Thank you for stashing water. Got the ok from
                the doc today....smooth sailing; hernia repair is coming along fine,
                so thought I'd do Elephant Arch with my hiking "buddy" Tanya this
                weekend! I've had withdrawal pains not getting out since the "Psycho
                Hike"!
                Bo

                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > The support part was a breeze. [:)] I was so happy you took my
                place
                > for the day at Bo's side.
                >
                > I googled your name and it seems you are no stranger to long treks.
                > Marathan Man Jeff! No wonder you look like you are in your 30's!
                >
                > You don't count nuts and candy as calories? [:">] Bo really
                enjoyed
                > hiking with you and only has great things to say about you! I am
                glad
                > Nikki and I could make your trip just a bit easier and I could not
                think
                > of having you both drive home after all that!
                >
                > PS... Kat is still hangin' in there and Nikki can deal with that
                since
                > Chris now has a record deal, but she no longer watches.
                >

                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff branin"
                > <ebranin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Your welcome. And no calories included as i recall. Southern Utah
                > > folk are right up there with the Carolina folk when it comes to
                > > southern hospitality. Not sure who had it tougher, those on the
                hike
                > > or those in support. An all day into the night effort either
                > > way. jeff

              • bruce silliman
                Message 7 of 26 , May 18 6:17 PM
                  And Bo, by not getting out, the site has kinda gone dead.

                  Glad to hear you're healing and can get back out there where the rocks tell
                  time by each drop of sand they lose. I'm sure we'll have a good story next
                  week and some awesome photos from Tanya.

                  bruce from bryce

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 18 6:21 PM

                    We still want to do that under the rim before it gets so hot, but until school is out I cant get out too early! ....  I have to play maid  -- and thats one of those have to get out early hikes.  Maybe we can go out and find the arch.  Should not be too hard on Bo's healing. :)

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote:

                    > And Bo, by not getting out, the site has kinda gone dead.
                    >
                    > Glad to hear you're healing and can get back out there where the rocks tell
                    > time by each drop of sand they lose. I'm sure we'll have a good story next
                    > week and some awesome photos from Tanya.
                    >
                    > bruce from bryce

                  • jeff branin
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 18 8:31 PM
                      First two miles to Elephant Arch shouldn't be too taxing, but that
                      last mile or less could be some serious uphill bushwacking. Hope you
                      find a path of minimal resistant.

                      Recommend that you get a look at the arch and its surroundings from a
                      viewpoint at or near the end of the road before starting your hike.

                      And if you still have energy after Elephant Arch, consider looking
                      for Hideaway Arch which shouldn't be far from the Lee Pass trailhead.
                      UTM coordinates: 12 306855 E 4147193 N. Directions are a bit
                      vague: "Park on loop between Paria and Beatty Points, walk on road
                      0.25 miles south of parking area, follow drainage up to cliff." I
                      interpret directions to mean that you have to hike on the road from
                      the hairpin up the grade towards Lee Pass TH, exiting the road south,
                      following an obvious drainage uphill to the cliffs and presumably
                      this arch with a span of 18 feet. I asked at the visitor center. No
                      one there had heard of/seen this arch. Source for this arch was the
                      World Arch Database. Maybe someone on the group has walked under it?
                      jeff

                      ll.Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738
                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > Jeff...it was super having such a great hiking partner! Thanks! I
                      > have to admit that the support from Tanya and Nikki was awesome and
                      > think you'll agree!. Thank you for stashing water. Got the ok from
                      > the doc today....smooth sailing; hernia repair is coming along
                      fine,
                      > so thought I'd do Elephant Arch with my hiking "buddy" Tanya this
                      > weekend! I've had withdrawal pains not getting out since
                      the "Psycho
                      > Hike"!
                      > Bo

                    • bomabro84738
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 19 6:25 AM
                        <ebranin@...> wrote:

                        > First two miles to Elephant Arch shouldn't be too taxing, but that
                        > last mile or less could be some serious uphill bushwacking. Hope
                        you find a path of minimal resistant.
                        > Recommend that you get a look at the arch and its surroundings from
                        a viewpoint at or near the end of the road before starting your
                        hike.

                        ****Thank you Jeff...we'll definately try to get a view of the arch
                        before setting out on foot! At least we wont be up there at 4AM so
                        should be able to get an idea before we start out this time!****

                        > And if you still have energy after Elephant Arch, consider looking
                        > for Hideaway Arch which shouldn't be far from the Lee Pass
                        trailhead.
                        > UTM coordinates: 12 306855 E 4147193 N. Directions are a bit
                        > vague: "Park on loop between Paria and Beatty Points, walk on road
                        > 0.25 miles south of parking area, follow drainage up to cliff." I
                        > interpret directions to mean that you have to hike on the road from
                        > the hairpin up the grade towards Lee Pass TH, exiting the road
                        south,
                        > following an obvious drainage uphill to the cliffs and presumably
                        > this arch with a span of 18 feet. I asked at the visitor center.
                        No
                        > one there had heard of/seen this arch. Source for this arch was
                        the
                        > World Arch Database. Maybe someone on the group has walked under
                        it?
                        > jeff

                        ****When Tanya drove us back to the TH after "psycho hike" I think
                        maybe the somewhat in-obvious drainage we looked at on the left
                        before we arrived at the Lee Pass Trailhead was the ticket? We'll
                        just have to see how the day goes? Maybe if we get an early start we
                        may poke around that area first?
                        Thank you again! Happy trails! Hey...you run a dang fast 5K!

                        Bo****
                      • bomabro84738
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 19 6:31 AM
                          <weabruce@...> wrote:

                          > And Bo, by not getting out, the site has kinda gone dead.
                          >
                          > Glad to hear you're healing and can get back out there where the
                          rocks tell
                          > time by each drop of sand they lose. I'm sure we'll have a good
                          story next
                          > week and some awesome photos from Tanya.
                          >
                          > bruce from bryce

                          Thanks Bruce! Now that summer is getting near..Tanya and I are
                          anxious to get some hiking rolling again! Hope to be in your neck of
                          the woods soon to beat some of this early (too early) season heat.
                          The canyons seem to be beckoning...hopefully Buckskin to Lees Ferry
                          soon, Under the rim (Bryce), Heaps, Imlay and Eye of the Needle will
                          fit into the picture this year? Plenty of rocks to allow for "time".

                          Bo
                        • jeff branin
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 19 6:20 PM
                            Most marathons I've participated in were at sea level on highways and
                            took less than four hours to complete. The FFF was at altitude (for
                            me), was on sand for at least a third of the course, and took 17
                            hours to complete. The FFF out-marathoned any marathon I've ever
                            done.

                            When Bo kicks off FFF deuce, I'll be ready to return the favor; i.e.,
                            me, support, and you hard charging to the finish.

                            P.S. As i predicted two weeks ago: Taylor Hicks wins out.

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                            <no_reply@...> wrote: > The support part was a breeze. [:)] I was

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 19 9:17 PM
                              <ebranin@...> wrote:
                              > When Bo kicks off FFF deuce, I'll be ready to return the favor; i.e.,
                              > me, support, and you hard charging to the finish.

                              ***This was deuce for me; Number 3 may be someone else heading up the
                              charge. On to other goals maybe? Always wanted to get a photo of Lake
                              Shastina from the top of Shasta? Still would like one more attempt at
                              Yaki Point to Jacob Lake in under 24 hours as well, but for now I'll
                              settle for some great hikes and exploring virgin (for me) terrain.

                              > P.S. As i predicted two weeks ago: Taylor Hicks wins out.

                              ***I may be old fashioned, but Kat sure had a voice and knew how to use
                              it....my one and only vote went to her.
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 20 7:34 AM

                                Whew!  Am I ever glad you took my place!  I had no idea of what a tough hike this was!  I could never even comprehend running a marathon -- so this hike had to be a killer!

                                Taylor Hicks should have gone in the first round! He is like a drunk at a party #-o He can't win! :))  Kat is beautiful, poised and would be a great American Idol.  Taylor is nice :)

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 20 11:55 AM
                                  Yup! Under the rim is just under 27 miles. Early start, lots of up and
                                  downs, sand and then the final stretch up to Bryce Point. Let me know when
                                  you're coming and I'll help with shuttle and extra fluids.

                                  bruce from bryce in Cedar City with Rich doing ACA Canyoneering Course

                                  >From: luvs_to_hike <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: zion 50 miler - Jeff!
                                  >Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 01:21:53 -0000
                                  >

                                  >We still want to do that under the rim before it gets so hot, but until
                                  >school is out I cant get out too early! .... I have to play maid --
                                  >and thats one of those have to get out early hikes. Maybe we can go out
                                  >and find the arch. Should not be too hard on Bo's healing. [:)]
                                  >

                                  >--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bruce silliman"
                                  ><weabruce@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > And Bo, by not getting out, the site has kinda gone dead.
                                  > >
                                  > > Glad to hear you're healing and can get back out there where the rocks
                                  >tell
                                  > > time by each drop of sand they lose. I'm sure we'll have a good story
                                  >next
                                  > > week and some awesome photos from Tanya.
                                  > >
                                  > > bruce from bryce

                                • jeff branin
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 21 5:50 PM
                                    Every workday from '79 to '04, i commuted crowded highways to the big
                                    city and a little cubicle and dreamed of heading west for a week of
                                    fresh air, big sky, and bigger adventures. So with your living in the
                                    desert and red cliffs of washington county I can understand a little
                                    change of scenery dreaming of the snowfields of Mt Shasta. Better to
                                    seek a little yin yang in life before you wind up the yin yang without
                                    a paddle. As least I think Jack Nicholson said something like that
                                    once.

                                    -- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, bomabro84738

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 21 6:03 PM
                                      Sounds to me like Bruce has you and Bo all set up to do the Under The
                                      Rim Marathon. Right distance for it, walk, run or crawl.

                                      off topic: Talent didn't factor into my vote for Hicks. Just liked
                                      the idea of his head being more greyer than mine.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 21 8:27 PM

                                        At 29 (right?)!  Now I will not say he looks younger than he is!

                                        Such support is hard to turn down.  Bo and I got stuck working today instead of looking for arches. :-s