Re: how to hike with a non-hiker?

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
      Is she willing to risk it? I land on the side of caution on this
      one. Is she motivated enough to do this hike to start walking with
      you now? If she goes and hates it you could ruin her on it, not to
      mention the error of taking people into situations that are beyond
      them can be dangerous. Unfortunately, only you can make this choice
      based on what you know of your spouses personality.

      I have accepted the fact that my girlfriend's love for adventure
      does not reach as far as mine, it hasn't been a problem for our
      relationship. We enjoy hiking together and I make time to do things
      that are at her pace and she in turn has never given me a bad time
      about going and doing the things I love.

      Neil

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, dstriek
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      Here's the thing, my wife is not as avid a hiker as me. Right now,
      she's probably not in good enough shape for that trek. I plan on
      doing it again, but would like her to experience it. You all
      probably know that feeling of wishing that some person you love was
      there to see this.

      So i need advice, do I bring her and risk traumatizing her for life?
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
        Is this the same women who, with a smile on her face, was in Zion during the pouring rain
        and flashfloods hiking up the Emerald Pools? She seemed pretty daring to me. ;)

        However you are into things like doing Spry Canyon while its frozen!!! ;p

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <mtngoat59102@y...> wrote:

        > Is she willing to risk it? I land on the side of caution on this
        > one. Is she motivated enough to do this hike to start walking with
        > you now? If she goes and hates it you could ruin her on it, not to
        > mention the error of taking people into situations that are beyond
        > them can be dangerous. Unfortunately, only you can make this choice
        > based on what you know of your spouses personality.
        >
        > I have accepted the fact that my girlfriend's love for adventure
        > does not reach as far as mine, it hasn't been a problem for our
        > relationship. We enjoy hiking together and I make time to do things
        > that are at her pace and she in turn has never given me a bad time
        > about going and doing the things I love.
        >
        > Neil
      • adkramoo
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > However you are into things like doing Spry Canyon while its
          frozen!!! ;p

          Neil is another one, who if you could....See "the places he has been"
          too, would be cause for wonder.
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
            I sort of had that idea. ~laughing~

            You guys are adventerous for sure!

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...>
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
              > When are you going to get around to having kids by the way. ;)

              Ha ha! We're still in our first year of marriage, so we're soaking
              the quiet up as much as possible! Maybe a year or so... :) I suppose
              the first years of parenthood are the "light family hiking" years?

              > I have little doubt you will have a wild, agile and daring child
              that will grow up and drag you
              > through all the torment you are now doing to your dad! ~laughing~

              I hope so! I need somebody to carry the rope and all of my camera
              lenses for me!

              > How does a parent go
              > about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are
              grown? I bet many dads
              > want to know that secret!

              I think the secret is planting GOOD memories of hiking to kids when
              they are young. I remember great scenery, taking pictures with my
              little instamatic camera, laughing and joking, peanut butter and
              jelly sandwiches at the viewpoints, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper
              waiting for us at the end of the hike. Hiking for me is like going
              back to my happy childhood.

              If my memories were of painful feet, running out of water, yelling,
              or a fall or accident, I'd probably have a different attitude! :)

              Likewise with my wife, I got her to enjoy hiking, but she has bad
              knees and a big fear of exposed heights. So I take her on stuff that
              she would enjoy (Angel's Landing is fine), but I wouldn't dream of
              taking her on something like Lady Mountain; I would lose a hiking
              partner! (She did survive that long Barracks hike though!) -Joe
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                You know, before Tanya contacted me to join this group last year, I
                thought I was an isolated wacko for staring at topos and looking for
                random places to explore. It's great to be in such good company with
                all of you!!!!!!!! :)

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > I sort of had that idea. ~laughing~
                >
                > You guys are adventerous for sure!
                >
                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"
                <adkramoo@a...>
                > > Neil is another one, who if you could....See "the places he has
                been"
                > > too, would be cause for wonder.
              • pofr2004
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                  > I bet you are the kind of son that every dad would love to have!
                  How does a parent go
                  > about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are
                  grown? I bet many dads
                  > want to know that secret!

                  As a 27-year old who routinely hikes, canyoneers, and even
                  mountaineers with his father (mid-fifties), let me share the secret.
                  Part 1)Take kids hiking/camping all growing up, at an appropriate slow
                  or fast pace. At proper age, let the kids plan and take their own
                  expeditions if they wish. Part 2) Stay in shape. Several years ago,
                  my dad realized he didn't need to eat nearly as much food as he was
                  eating, so he stopped--then learned to climb, and started doing
                  something active every day. It is a great pleasure to have him along
                  on many of my adventures.

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:
                    > Ha ha! We're still in our first year of marriage, so we're soaking
                    > the quiet up as much as possible! Maybe a year or so... :) I suppose
                    > the first years of parenthood are the "light family hiking" years?

                    Very, very, very, very SMART!!!!!

                    I hope so! I need somebody to carry the rope and all of my camera lenses for me!

                    ;p

                    Dream on! You know those guys you look at with a huge pack and a kid on their back....

                    :D

                    > I think the secret is planting GOOD memories of hiking to kids when
                    > they are young. I remember great scenery, taking pictures with my
                    > little instamatic camera, laughing and joking, peanut butter and
                    > jelly sandwiches at the viewpoints, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper
                    > waiting for us at the end of the hike. Hiking for me is like going
                    > back to my happy childhood.
                    >
                    > If my memories were of painful feet, running out of water, yelling,
                    > or a fall or accident, I'd probably have a different attitude! :)

                    Adding Peanut Butter and Dr. Pepper to my packs. ;)

                    > Likewise with my wife, I got her to enjoy hiking, but she has bad
                    > knees and a big fear of exposed heights. So I take her on stuff that
                    > she would enjoy (Angel's Landing is fine), but I wouldn't dream of
                    > taking her on something like Lady Mountain; I would lose a hiking
                    > partner! (She did survive that long Barracks hike though!) -Joe

                    Lady Mountain was not that bad. ;p
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Now if we can only get you to move here and hike weekly with us! :)

                      Bo would be giddy ;p --- last weekend was the first hike he did not take a toy car along
                      since you two hiked together. :D

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                        Yeah... giving up so many snickers, pizzas, etc... is the hardest part of hiking! (But might
                        be worth it if I am still hiking and canyoneering in my mid 50s!!!)

                        Yes, at their own pace. Having 4 little kids and 4 little grand kids I know all kids are not
                        the same. Some are anxious to go and others would rather do other stuff. One things for
                        sure is they all want to go hiking when they are not invited. ~laughing~

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                          > Dream on! You know those guys you look at with a huge pack and a
                          kid on their back....

                          Ha ha! Yup, that will be me, and no doubt, my child will probably
                          get into photography and ask me to carry his/her lenses as well! :)

                          > Lady Mountain was not that bad. ;p

                          It wasn't bad at all! ...for US, that is! I know my wife would
                          probably have a panic attack at that one climbing station or from
                          any shelf where she could look down several thousand feet to the
                          ground below. Good memories for her would be a poolside book and
                          strawberry daquiri that day!
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                            There was that one section where Bo decided we should climb down, facing in... not able
                            to see what was below ----- and he could catch us if we fell. Aaaaagggggghhhhh!!!! :)

                            I was so glad when my toes hit the dirt!!!

                            Sort of like this little ledge thing we did at South Canyon.... And so dang early on a CoLd
                            morning to fall in that river!!!! ;p

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                              EXACTLY, I could not have said it better. She's no couch potato,
                              she just thinks some of the stuff I like is crazy. Spry in the
                              middle of winter is a good example. (Even though I might be able to
                              talk her into that one if I'm careful about how I sell it.) The
                              swim at the end is much nicer in January. :-)

                              Neil