Re: how to hike with a non-hiker?

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
      Welcome to the group! I'm not sure if you did these already, but
      Riverside Walk ("Gateway to the Narrows") and the Canyon Overlook
      Trail are fun easy ones as well. The upper east canyon has plenty of
      possibilities as well -- just explore as much or as little as you
      want and turn around when you get tired.

      I do a lot of strenuous hiking with my dad; my wife and my mom love
      Zion as well, but they're not always up for the big hikes. On the
      rough days, they're happy to relax poolside with a good book or hang
      out at the lodge or explore by the river at a leisurely pace. That
      way, we all get our fill and nobody is unhappy.
    • vinlyn2003
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, dstriek
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Here's the thing, my wife is not as avid a hiker as me. Right now,
        > she's probably not in good enough shape for that trek. I plan on
        > doing it again, but would like her to experience it. You all probably
        > know that feeling of wishing that some person you love was there to
        > see this.
        >
        > So i need advice, do I bring her and risk traumatizing her for life?
        > Or do I go it alone and take lots of pics for her?
        >
        > Granted, a lot depends on the person: she is fairly adventurous, but
        > can be a bit anxious. She will have stamina by then hopefully. She
        > is not as into the views etc as I am, but does appreciate it. She's
        > a social creature, so I figure the many folks of all ages we meet
        > going up Angel's Landing will keep her motivated.

        I'm an in the middle hiker. I don't generally do any climbing, but my
        favorite hikes are in th 2-4 mile range, although I have done as much
        as 6 miles. I don't really like heights -- the hike up to Inspiration
        Point (which I didn't find that inspirational) in Grand Tetons was
        good distance and about the right stamina requirement for me, but the
        ledges in one spot almost undid me...let's just say it was my limit.

        So what's my point? Let your wife do what she enjoys and you do what
        you enjoy. Why make her not have fun? There is another option, of
        course -- divorce and find a new wife on the trail! :-)
      • dstriek
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
          Thanks for the info and tips.
          i realize not every body has the fever for this stuff. The only
          reason for pushing an Angel's Landing jaunt with her is because i
          remember being up there thinking "she's got to see this".

          come to think of it, we went on about a 7 mile roundtrip hike in
          Colorado a few summers ago (Spruce Creek Trail/Mohawk Lakes south of
          Breckenridge). It took stamina, but had nothing like the last .5
          miles of Angels Landing was involved. She got physically and
          mentally burnt out very near the end where all the major scenery was
          and sat it out while checked out the waterfalls, alpine lake, pockets
          of snow, mining ruins.

          (Great hikes in that area by the way. I have trail books and maps for
          summit co colorado for anyone interested.)

          So maybe I'll lay low on the joint venture. I'll show her your trail
          descriptions and photo albums and let her make the call. We'll
          definitely sample some easier ones together. Maybe Canyon Overlook
          will give her a feel for it. I'll sneak out once for something more
          extended. have fun no matter what.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "vinlyn2003"

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
            Or go on vacation with your favorite hiking partner and leave the wife at home. ;)

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
              When I went up to Angels Landing to take photos I took my 9 year old daughter and 9 year
              old granddaughter with me. I left them at Scouts Outlook, where they were suppose to
              stay!

              I was at the top taking photos and they showed up. I look back at the photos of them
              going back down that trail and it was scarey. (Not to mention there was a lightening
              storms on the east side of the park headed our way and it was going to be dark for the
              hike down. The shuttle driver was no help with his cougar stories either. lol)

              At the time I thought I was behind them all the time when we were near a ledge with arms
              out behind them... watching them the whole way, but looking at the photos shows a
              different story.

              For an adult the trail seems very safe, but with someone afraid of heights or a kid its very
              different. I don't suggest any kids go on this trail by the way.

              kids hopping at Angels
              http://tinyurl.com/6nlpa

              http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index21.htm

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, dstriek <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the info and tips.
              > i realize not every body has the fever for this stuff. The only
              > reason for pushing an Angel's Landing jaunt with her is because i
              > remember being up there thinking "she's got to see this".
              >
              > come to think of it, we went on about a 7 mile roundtrip hike in
              > Colorado a few summers ago (Spruce Creek Trail/Mohawk Lakes south of
              > Breckenridge). It took stamina, but had nothing like the last .5
              > miles of Angels Landing was involved. She got physically and
              > mentally burnt out very near the end where all the major scenery was
              > and sat it out while checked out the waterfalls, alpine lake, pockets
              > of snow, mining ruins.
              >
              > (Great hikes in that area by the way. I have trail books and maps for
              > summit co colorado for anyone interested.)
              >
              > So maybe I'll lay low on the joint venture. I'll show her your trail
              > descriptions and photo albums and let her make the call. We'll
              > definitely sample some easier ones together. Maybe Canyon Overlook
              > will give her a feel for it. I'll sneak out once for something more
              > extended. have fun no matter what.
            • adkramoo
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                I have taken kids a ton. Couple of observations from looking at not
                only that picture, but the whole album. Their body language and
                positions tell a tale. True, these were still photos, but you can see
                that they have respect for the drops and consequences, without it
                parallizing them. They also move thru gracefully. Note how they are
                facing out and bending properly on the downclimbs. Perfect positions.
                While not suggesting unsupervised ramples, it is apparent that these
                kids have spirit, have some talent for it and are naturals. Continue
                to foster the love of exploration
                Ram

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                  You must sleep like me! Very little! ;)

                  They were not scared in the least, which is what scares me! I have no doubt they are
                  competent to hike up there, but why risk it?

                  I feel the same way about Hidden Canyon. I took my 7 and 8 year old up that one and
                  really did not like taking them along the narrow ledges although for someone older I think
                  it is perfectly safe... for them too, but I am protective of little people.

                  My kids do risky things like Judo (brutal sport), Gymnastics, Dance, Karate and do hike
                  often (weekly most of the year) but when a kid is on a high narrow ledge it brings out all
                  those protective feelings in me even though as you point out they are probably safer and
                  more graceful than most of us adults!

                  Bo seems to be my 4 year olds idol. The boy climbs everything in site and talks of Bo all
                  the time! He is not proficent at one hand climbing up the front of the fridge. ;)

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...>

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Way back when, my father took me up Angel's Landing when I was 6. It
                    was the absolute scariest thing I had ever done but I loved it! As
                    my revenge for him torturing me at an early age, in my adult life, I
                    drag him back to Zion every year and make him do long remote hikes,
                    climbing, rappelling and swimming through skanky water. Gives him
                    the same rush I had as a kid. heh heh

                    When I have kids, I'll probably be paranoid about taking them on
                    something like Angel's Landing or even that exposed approach to
                    Hidden Canyon. If they love the hiking thing and can keep a cool
                    head, then I'd go for it, but I'd be watching them like a hawk. And
                    I'd never force them to do anything that was beyond their comfort
                    level. That would be a disaster.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                      When are you going to get around to having kids by the way. ;)

                      It's a parent decision. I am cautious on the website since kids are all so different. Some
                      kids will enjoy doing hard canyons and other kids would whine and cry through them,
                      some kids get hurt all day (normal child klutz things) doing little of nothing, others are
                      more graceful and rarely get themselves into trouble. Parents know their kids best. I have
                      little doubt you will have a wild, agile and daring child that will grow up and drag you
                      through all the torment you are now doing to your dad! ~laughing~

                      I bet you are the kind of son that every dad would love to have! How does a parent go
                      about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are grown? I bet many dads
                      want to know that secret!

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:

                      > Way back when, my father took me up Angel's Landing when I was 6. It
                      > was the absolute scariest thing I had ever done but I loved it! As
                      > my revenge for him torturing me at an early age, in my adult life, I
                      > drag him back to Zion every year and make him do long remote hikes,
                      > climbing, rappelling and swimming through skanky water. Gives him
                      > the same rush I had as a kid. heh heh
                      >
                      > When I have kids, I'll probably be paranoid about taking them on
                      > something like Angel's Landing or even that exposed approach to
                      > Hidden Canyon. If they love the hiking thing and can keep a cool
                      > head, then I'd go for it, but I'd be watching them like a hawk. And
                      > I'd never force them to do anything that was beyond their comfort
                      > level. That would be a disaster.
                    • Neil
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                        Is she willing to risk it? I land on the side of caution on this
                        one. Is she motivated enough to do this hike to start walking with
                        you now? If she goes and hates it you could ruin her on it, not to
                        mention the error of taking people into situations that are beyond
                        them can be dangerous. Unfortunately, only you can make this choice
                        based on what you know of your spouses personality.

                        I have accepted the fact that my girlfriend's love for adventure
                        does not reach as far as mine, it hasn't been a problem for our
                        relationship. We enjoy hiking together and I make time to do things
                        that are at her pace and she in turn has never given me a bad time
                        about going and doing the things I love.

                        Neil

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Is this the same women who, with a smile on her face, was in Zion during the pouring rain
                          and flashfloods hiking up the Emerald Pools? She seemed pretty daring to me. ;)

                          However you are into things like doing Spry Canyon while its frozen!!! ;p

                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <mtngoat59102@y...> wrote:

                          > Is she willing to risk it? I land on the side of caution on this
                          > one. Is she motivated enough to do this hike to start walking with
                          > you now? If she goes and hates it you could ruin her on it, not to
                          > mention the error of taking people into situations that are beyond
                          > them can be dangerous. Unfortunately, only you can make this choice
                          > based on what you know of your spouses personality.
                          >
                          > I have accepted the fact that my girlfriend's love for adventure
                          > does not reach as far as mine, it hasn't been a problem for our
                          > relationship. We enjoy hiking together and I make time to do things
                          > that are at her pace and she in turn has never given me a bad time
                          > about going and doing the things I love.
                          >
                          > Neil
                        • adkramoo
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > However you are into things like doing Spry Canyon while its
                            frozen!!! ;p

                            Neil is another one, who if you could....See "the places he has been"
                            too, would be cause for wonder.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                              I sort of had that idea. ~laughing~

                              You guys are adventerous for sure!

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                > When are you going to get around to having kids by the way. ;)

                                Ha ha! We're still in our first year of marriage, so we're soaking
                                the quiet up as much as possible! Maybe a year or so... :) I suppose
                                the first years of parenthood are the "light family hiking" years?

                                > I have little doubt you will have a wild, agile and daring child
                                that will grow up and drag you
                                > through all the torment you are now doing to your dad! ~laughing~

                                I hope so! I need somebody to carry the rope and all of my camera
                                lenses for me!

                                > How does a parent go
                                > about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are
                                grown? I bet many dads
                                > want to know that secret!

                                I think the secret is planting GOOD memories of hiking to kids when
                                they are young. I remember great scenery, taking pictures with my
                                little instamatic camera, laughing and joking, peanut butter and
                                jelly sandwiches at the viewpoints, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper
                                waiting for us at the end of the hike. Hiking for me is like going
                                back to my happy childhood.

                                If my memories were of painful feet, running out of water, yelling,
                                or a fall or accident, I'd probably have a different attitude! :)

                                Likewise with my wife, I got her to enjoy hiking, but she has bad
                                knees and a big fear of exposed heights. So I take her on stuff that
                                she would enjoy (Angel's Landing is fine), but I wouldn't dream of
                                taking her on something like Lady Mountain; I would lose a hiking
                                partner! (She did survive that long Barracks hike though!) -Joe
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                  You know, before Tanya contacted me to join this group last year, I
                                  thought I was an isolated wacko for staring at topos and looking for
                                  random places to explore. It's great to be in such good company with
                                  all of you!!!!!!!! :)

                                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                                  > I sort of had that idea. ~laughing~
                                  >
                                  > You guys are adventerous for sure!
                                  >
                                  > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"
                                  <adkramoo@a...>
                                  > > Neil is another one, who if you could....See "the places he has
                                  been"
                                  > > too, would be cause for wonder.
                                • pofr2004
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                    > I bet you are the kind of son that every dad would love to have!
                                    How does a parent go
                                    > about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are
                                    grown? I bet many dads
                                    > want to know that secret!

                                    As a 27-year old who routinely hikes, canyoneers, and even
                                    mountaineers with his father (mid-fifties), let me share the secret.
                                    Part 1)Take kids hiking/camping all growing up, at an appropriate slow
                                    or fast pace. At proper age, let the kids plan and take their own
                                    expeditions if they wish. Part 2) Stay in shape. Several years ago,
                                    my dad realized he didn't need to eat nearly as much food as he was
                                    eating, so he stopped--then learned to climb, and started doing
                                    something active every day. It is a great pleasure to have him along
                                    on many of my adventures.

                                    Jeff
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:
                                      > Ha ha! We're still in our first year of marriage, so we're soaking
                                      > the quiet up as much as possible! Maybe a year or so... :) I suppose
                                      > the first years of parenthood are the "light family hiking" years?

                                      Very, very, very, very SMART!!!!!

                                      I hope so! I need somebody to carry the rope and all of my camera lenses for me!

                                      ;p

                                      Dream on! You know those guys you look at with a huge pack and a kid on their back....

                                      :D

                                      > I think the secret is planting GOOD memories of hiking to kids when
                                      > they are young. I remember great scenery, taking pictures with my
                                      > little instamatic camera, laughing and joking, peanut butter and
                                      > jelly sandwiches at the viewpoints, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper
                                      > waiting for us at the end of the hike. Hiking for me is like going
                                      > back to my happy childhood.
                                      >
                                      > If my memories were of painful feet, running out of water, yelling,
                                      > or a fall or accident, I'd probably have a different attitude! :)

                                      Adding Peanut Butter and Dr. Pepper to my packs. ;)

                                      > Likewise with my wife, I got her to enjoy hiking, but she has bad
                                      > knees and a big fear of exposed heights. So I take her on stuff that
                                      > she would enjoy (Angel's Landing is fine), but I wouldn't dream of
                                      > taking her on something like Lady Mountain; I would lose a hiking
                                      > partner! (She did survive that long Barracks hike though!) -Joe

                                      Lady Mountain was not that bad. ;p
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                        Now if we can only get you to move here and hike weekly with us! :)

                                        Bo would be giddy ;p --- last weekend was the first hike he did not take a toy car along
                                        since you two hiked together. :D

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                          Yeah... giving up so many snickers, pizzas, etc... is the hardest part of hiking! (But might
                                          be worth it if I am still hiking and canyoneering in my mid 50s!!!)

                                          Yes, at their own pace. Having 4 little kids and 4 little grand kids I know all kids are not
                                          the same. Some are anxious to go and others would rather do other stuff. One things for
                                          sure is they all want to go hiking when they are not invited. ~laughing~

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                            > Dream on! You know those guys you look at with a huge pack and a
                                            kid on their back....

                                            Ha ha! Yup, that will be me, and no doubt, my child will probably
                                            get into photography and ask me to carry his/her lenses as well! :)

                                            > Lady Mountain was not that bad. ;p

                                            It wasn't bad at all! ...for US, that is! I know my wife would
                                            probably have a panic attack at that one climbing station or from
                                            any shelf where she could look down several thousand feet to the
                                            ground below. Good memories for her would be a poolside book and
                                            strawberry daquiri that day!
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                              There was that one section where Bo decided we should climb down, facing in... not able
                                              to see what was below ----- and he could catch us if we fell. Aaaaagggggghhhhh!!!! :)

                                              I was so glad when my toes hit the dirt!!!

                                              Sort of like this little ledge thing we did at South Canyon.... And so dang early on a CoLd
                                              morning to fall in that river!!!! ;p

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                                EXACTLY, I could not have said it better. She's no couch potato,
                                                she just thinks some of the stuff I like is crazy. Spry in the
                                                middle of winter is a good example. (Even though I might be able to
                                                talk her into that one if I'm careful about how I sell it.) The
                                                swim at the end is much nicer in January. :-)

                                                Neil