Re: how to hike with a non-hiker?

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hi Dstiek :) Welcome to the Group

      I got my 3 year old up to Echo Canyon, a ways past Hidden Canyon by pointing out all the
      lizards. I don't suppose that will work on your wife though. ;)

      I would say to do the hardest hike first, then the others seem easy, but you really did not
      pick an easy one for a non-hiker. Go early in the day when it is cool and she is less tired
      than later in the day. You carry the water and food so she is more comfortable. Does she
      enjoy taking photos? That keeps me going up the trails where I do not even notice the
      hours go by.

      Make sure she has shoes that fit well. The steep downhill hike from Observation Point can
      be tough, and even worse when hiking the next day. Observation Point and Hidden
      Canyon could be combined if you stopped and rested and had lunch perhaps.

      Trail Guide and Photo album of each hike

      Angels Landing
      <http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-angels-landing-trail.htm>

      Observation Point
      <http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-observation-point-trail.htm>

      Hidden Canyon
      <http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-hidden-canyon-trail.htm>

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
        Welcome to the group! I'm not sure if you did these already, but
        Riverside Walk ("Gateway to the Narrows") and the Canyon Overlook
        Trail are fun easy ones as well. The upper east canyon has plenty of
        possibilities as well -- just explore as much or as little as you
        want and turn around when you get tired.

        I do a lot of strenuous hiking with my dad; my wife and my mom love
        Zion as well, but they're not always up for the big hikes. On the
        rough days, they're happy to relax poolside with a good book or hang
        out at the lodge or explore by the river at a leisurely pace. That
        way, we all get our fill and nobody is unhappy.
      • vinlyn2003
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Here's the thing, my wife is not as avid a hiker as me. Right now,
          > she's probably not in good enough shape for that trek. I plan on
          > doing it again, but would like her to experience it. You all probably
          > know that feeling of wishing that some person you love was there to
          > see this.
          >
          > So i need advice, do I bring her and risk traumatizing her for life?
          > Or do I go it alone and take lots of pics for her?
          >
          > Granted, a lot depends on the person: she is fairly adventurous, but
          > can be a bit anxious. She will have stamina by then hopefully. She
          > is not as into the views etc as I am, but does appreciate it. She's
          > a social creature, so I figure the many folks of all ages we meet
          > going up Angel's Landing will keep her motivated.

          I'm an in the middle hiker. I don't generally do any climbing, but my
          favorite hikes are in th 2-4 mile range, although I have done as much
          as 6 miles. I don't really like heights -- the hike up to Inspiration
          Point (which I didn't find that inspirational) in Grand Tetons was
          good distance and about the right stamina requirement for me, but the
          ledges in one spot almost undid me...let's just say it was my limit.

          So what's my point? Let your wife do what she enjoys and you do what
          you enjoy. Why make her not have fun? There is another option, of
          course -- divorce and find a new wife on the trail! :-)
        • dstriek
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
            Thanks for the info and tips.
            i realize not every body has the fever for this stuff. The only
            reason for pushing an Angel's Landing jaunt with her is because i
            remember being up there thinking "she's got to see this".

            come to think of it, we went on about a 7 mile roundtrip hike in
            Colorado a few summers ago (Spruce Creek Trail/Mohawk Lakes south of
            Breckenridge). It took stamina, but had nothing like the last .5
            miles of Angels Landing was involved. She got physically and
            mentally burnt out very near the end where all the major scenery was
            and sat it out while checked out the waterfalls, alpine lake, pockets
            of snow, mining ruins.

            (Great hikes in that area by the way. I have trail books and maps for
            summit co colorado for anyone interested.)

            So maybe I'll lay low on the joint venture. I'll show her your trail
            descriptions and photo albums and let her make the call. We'll
            definitely sample some easier ones together. Maybe Canyon Overlook
            will give her a feel for it. I'll sneak out once for something more
            extended. have fun no matter what.

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "vinlyn2003"

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
              Or go on vacation with your favorite hiking partner and leave the wife at home. ;)

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                When I went up to Angels Landing to take photos I took my 9 year old daughter and 9 year
                old granddaughter with me. I left them at Scouts Outlook, where they were suppose to
                stay!

                I was at the top taking photos and they showed up. I look back at the photos of them
                going back down that trail and it was scarey. (Not to mention there was a lightening
                storms on the east side of the park headed our way and it was going to be dark for the
                hike down. The shuttle driver was no help with his cougar stories either. lol)

                At the time I thought I was behind them all the time when we were near a ledge with arms
                out behind them... watching them the whole way, but looking at the photos shows a
                different story.

                For an adult the trail seems very safe, but with someone afraid of heights or a kid its very
                different. I don't suggest any kids go on this trail by the way.

                kids hopping at Angels
                http://tinyurl.com/6nlpa

                http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index21.htm

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, dstriek <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the info and tips.
                > i realize not every body has the fever for this stuff. The only
                > reason for pushing an Angel's Landing jaunt with her is because i
                > remember being up there thinking "she's got to see this".
                >
                > come to think of it, we went on about a 7 mile roundtrip hike in
                > Colorado a few summers ago (Spruce Creek Trail/Mohawk Lakes south of
                > Breckenridge). It took stamina, but had nothing like the last .5
                > miles of Angels Landing was involved. She got physically and
                > mentally burnt out very near the end where all the major scenery was
                > and sat it out while checked out the waterfalls, alpine lake, pockets
                > of snow, mining ruins.
                >
                > (Great hikes in that area by the way. I have trail books and maps for
                > summit co colorado for anyone interested.)
                >
                > So maybe I'll lay low on the joint venture. I'll show her your trail
                > descriptions and photo albums and let her make the call. We'll
                > definitely sample some easier ones together. Maybe Canyon Overlook
                > will give her a feel for it. I'll sneak out once for something more
                > extended. have fun no matter what.
              • adkramoo
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                  I have taken kids a ton. Couple of observations from looking at not
                  only that picture, but the whole album. Their body language and
                  positions tell a tale. True, these were still photos, but you can see
                  that they have respect for the drops and consequences, without it
                  parallizing them. They also move thru gracefully. Note how they are
                  facing out and bending properly on the downclimbs. Perfect positions.
                  While not suggesting unsupervised ramples, it is apparent that these
                  kids have spirit, have some talent for it and are naturals. Continue
                  to foster the love of exploration
                  Ram

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                    You must sleep like me! Very little! ;)

                    They were not scared in the least, which is what scares me! I have no doubt they are
                    competent to hike up there, but why risk it?

                    I feel the same way about Hidden Canyon. I took my 7 and 8 year old up that one and
                    really did not like taking them along the narrow ledges although for someone older I think
                    it is perfectly safe... for them too, but I am protective of little people.

                    My kids do risky things like Judo (brutal sport), Gymnastics, Dance, Karate and do hike
                    often (weekly most of the year) but when a kid is on a high narrow ledge it brings out all
                    those protective feelings in me even though as you point out they are probably safer and
                    more graceful than most of us adults!

                    Bo seems to be my 4 year olds idol. The boy climbs everything in site and talks of Bo all
                    the time! He is not proficent at one hand climbing up the front of the fridge. ;)

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Way back when, my father took me up Angel's Landing when I was 6. It
                      was the absolute scariest thing I had ever done but I loved it! As
                      my revenge for him torturing me at an early age, in my adult life, I
                      drag him back to Zion every year and make him do long remote hikes,
                      climbing, rappelling and swimming through skanky water. Gives him
                      the same rush I had as a kid. heh heh

                      When I have kids, I'll probably be paranoid about taking them on
                      something like Angel's Landing or even that exposed approach to
                      Hidden Canyon. If they love the hiking thing and can keep a cool
                      head, then I'd go for it, but I'd be watching them like a hawk. And
                      I'd never force them to do anything that was beyond their comfort
                      level. That would be a disaster.
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                        When are you going to get around to having kids by the way. ;)

                        It's a parent decision. I am cautious on the website since kids are all so different. Some
                        kids will enjoy doing hard canyons and other kids would whine and cry through them,
                        some kids get hurt all day (normal child klutz things) doing little of nothing, others are
                        more graceful and rarely get themselves into trouble. Parents know their kids best. I have
                        little doubt you will have a wild, agile and daring child that will grow up and drag you
                        through all the torment you are now doing to your dad! ~laughing~

                        I bet you are the kind of son that every dad would love to have! How does a parent go
                        about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are grown? I bet many dads
                        want to know that secret!

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:

                        > Way back when, my father took me up Angel's Landing when I was 6. It
                        > was the absolute scariest thing I had ever done but I loved it! As
                        > my revenge for him torturing me at an early age, in my adult life, I
                        > drag him back to Zion every year and make him do long remote hikes,
                        > climbing, rappelling and swimming through skanky water. Gives him
                        > the same rush I had as a kid. heh heh
                        >
                        > When I have kids, I'll probably be paranoid about taking them on
                        > something like Angel's Landing or even that exposed approach to
                        > Hidden Canyon. If they love the hiking thing and can keep a cool
                        > head, then I'd go for it, but I'd be watching them like a hawk. And
                        > I'd never force them to do anything that was beyond their comfort
                        > level. That would be a disaster.
                      • Neil
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Is she willing to risk it? I land on the side of caution on this
                          one. Is she motivated enough to do this hike to start walking with
                          you now? If she goes and hates it you could ruin her on it, not to
                          mention the error of taking people into situations that are beyond
                          them can be dangerous. Unfortunately, only you can make this choice
                          based on what you know of your spouses personality.

                          I have accepted the fact that my girlfriend's love for adventure
                          does not reach as far as mine, it hasn't been a problem for our
                          relationship. We enjoy hiking together and I make time to do things
                          that are at her pace and she in turn has never given me a bad time
                          about going and doing the things I love.

                          Neil

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                            Is this the same women who, with a smile on her face, was in Zion during the pouring rain
                            and flashfloods hiking up the Emerald Pools? She seemed pretty daring to me. ;)

                            However you are into things like doing Spry Canyon while its frozen!!! ;p

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <mtngoat59102@y...> wrote:

                            > Is she willing to risk it? I land on the side of caution on this
                            > one. Is she motivated enough to do this hike to start walking with
                            > you now? If she goes and hates it you could ruin her on it, not to
                            > mention the error of taking people into situations that are beyond
                            > them can be dangerous. Unfortunately, only you can make this choice
                            > based on what you know of your spouses personality.
                            >
                            > I have accepted the fact that my girlfriend's love for adventure
                            > does not reach as far as mine, it hasn't been a problem for our
                            > relationship. We enjoy hiking together and I make time to do things
                            > that are at her pace and she in turn has never given me a bad time
                            > about going and doing the things I love.
                            >
                            > Neil
                          • adkramoo
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > However you are into things like doing Spry Canyon while its
                              frozen!!! ;p

                              Neil is another one, who if you could....See "the places he has been"
                              too, would be cause for wonder.
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                I sort of had that idea. ~laughing~

                                You guys are adventerous for sure!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                  > When are you going to get around to having kids by the way. ;)

                                  Ha ha! We're still in our first year of marriage, so we're soaking
                                  the quiet up as much as possible! Maybe a year or so... :) I suppose
                                  the first years of parenthood are the "light family hiking" years?

                                  > I have little doubt you will have a wild, agile and daring child
                                  that will grow up and drag you
                                  > through all the torment you are now doing to your dad! ~laughing~

                                  I hope so! I need somebody to carry the rope and all of my camera
                                  lenses for me!

                                  > How does a parent go
                                  > about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are
                                  grown? I bet many dads
                                  > want to know that secret!

                                  I think the secret is planting GOOD memories of hiking to kids when
                                  they are young. I remember great scenery, taking pictures with my
                                  little instamatic camera, laughing and joking, peanut butter and
                                  jelly sandwiches at the viewpoints, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper
                                  waiting for us at the end of the hike. Hiking for me is like going
                                  back to my happy childhood.

                                  If my memories were of painful feet, running out of water, yelling,
                                  or a fall or accident, I'd probably have a different attitude! :)

                                  Likewise with my wife, I got her to enjoy hiking, but she has bad
                                  knees and a big fear of exposed heights. So I take her on stuff that
                                  she would enjoy (Angel's Landing is fine), but I wouldn't dream of
                                  taking her on something like Lady Mountain; I would lose a hiking
                                  partner! (She did survive that long Barracks hike though!) -Joe
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                    You know, before Tanya contacted me to join this group last year, I
                                    thought I was an isolated wacko for staring at topos and looking for
                                    random places to explore. It's great to be in such good company with
                                    all of you!!!!!!!! :)

                                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                                    > I sort of had that idea. ~laughing~
                                    >
                                    > You guys are adventerous for sure!
                                    >
                                    > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"
                                    <adkramoo@a...>
                                    > > Neil is another one, who if you could....See "the places he has
                                    been"
                                    > > too, would be cause for wonder.
                                  • pofr2004
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                      > I bet you are the kind of son that every dad would love to have!
                                      How does a parent go
                                      > about getting their kids to enjoy hiking with them after they are
                                      grown? I bet many dads
                                      > want to know that secret!

                                      As a 27-year old who routinely hikes, canyoneers, and even
                                      mountaineers with his father (mid-fifties), let me share the secret.
                                      Part 1)Take kids hiking/camping all growing up, at an appropriate slow
                                      or fast pace. At proper age, let the kids plan and take their own
                                      expeditions if they wish. Part 2) Stay in shape. Several years ago,
                                      my dad realized he didn't need to eat nearly as much food as he was
                                      eating, so he stopped--then learned to climb, and started doing
                                      something active every day. It is a great pleasure to have him along
                                      on many of my adventures.

                                      Jeff
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:
                                        > Ha ha! We're still in our first year of marriage, so we're soaking
                                        > the quiet up as much as possible! Maybe a year or so... :) I suppose
                                        > the first years of parenthood are the "light family hiking" years?

                                        Very, very, very, very SMART!!!!!

                                        I hope so! I need somebody to carry the rope and all of my camera lenses for me!

                                        ;p

                                        Dream on! You know those guys you look at with a huge pack and a kid on their back....

                                        :D

                                        > I think the secret is planting GOOD memories of hiking to kids when
                                        > they are young. I remember great scenery, taking pictures with my
                                        > little instamatic camera, laughing and joking, peanut butter and
                                        > jelly sandwiches at the viewpoints, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper
                                        > waiting for us at the end of the hike. Hiking for me is like going
                                        > back to my happy childhood.
                                        >
                                        > If my memories were of painful feet, running out of water, yelling,
                                        > or a fall or accident, I'd probably have a different attitude! :)

                                        Adding Peanut Butter and Dr. Pepper to my packs. ;)

                                        > Likewise with my wife, I got her to enjoy hiking, but she has bad
                                        > knees and a big fear of exposed heights. So I take her on stuff that
                                        > she would enjoy (Angel's Landing is fine), but I wouldn't dream of
                                        > taking her on something like Lady Mountain; I would lose a hiking
                                        > partner! (She did survive that long Barracks hike though!) -Joe

                                        Lady Mountain was not that bad. ;p
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                          Now if we can only get you to move here and hike weekly with us! :)

                                          Bo would be giddy ;p --- last weekend was the first hike he did not take a toy car along
                                          since you two hiked together. :D

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                            Yeah... giving up so many snickers, pizzas, etc... is the hardest part of hiking! (But might
                                            be worth it if I am still hiking and canyoneering in my mid 50s!!!)

                                            Yes, at their own pace. Having 4 little kids and 4 little grand kids I know all kids are not
                                            the same. Some are anxious to go and others would rather do other stuff. One things for
                                            sure is they all want to go hiking when they are not invited. ~laughing~

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                              > Dream on! You know those guys you look at with a huge pack and a
                                              kid on their back....

                                              Ha ha! Yup, that will be me, and no doubt, my child will probably
                                              get into photography and ask me to carry his/her lenses as well! :)

                                              > Lady Mountain was not that bad. ;p

                                              It wasn't bad at all! ...for US, that is! I know my wife would
                                              probably have a panic attack at that one climbing station or from
                                              any shelf where she could look down several thousand feet to the
                                              ground below. Good memories for her would be a poolside book and
                                              strawberry daquiri that day!
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                                There was that one section where Bo decided we should climb down, facing in... not able
                                                to see what was below ----- and he could catch us if we fell. Aaaaagggggghhhhh!!!! :)

                                                I was so glad when my toes hit the dirt!!!

                                                Sort of like this little ledge thing we did at South Canyon.... And so dang early on a CoLd
                                                morning to fall in that river!!!! ;p

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 2, 2005
                                                  EXACTLY, I could not have said it better. She's no couch potato,
                                                  she just thinks some of the stuff I like is crazy. Spry in the
                                                  middle of winter is a good example. (Even though I might be able to
                                                  talk her into that one if I'm careful about how I sell it.) The
                                                  swim at the end is much nicer in January. :-)

                                                  Neil