Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: This is a serious question...

  • Dean Kurtz
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4 7:36 AM
      >I think next time Dean, Bo and I are sitting around after a hike, talking and such i will have to drag out a rope for knot lessons. ;)<

      Just be sure it is early on in the sitting around and talking, otherwise we might teach you something completely wrong.;-)

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:

      > I got baptized by hanging out with a few climbing friends who took
      > me out several years ago (on some short toprope cliffs). Then taking
      > a basic knots/climbing class, rappelling class, and playing around
      > at the local climbing gym. If you have any climbing school or gym
      > nearby, that would probably be the best way to play and learn in a
      > safe environment.
      >
      > My wife is pretty scared of heights, but after taking a basic
      > rappelling class, she's able to do all of her own knots and lean
      > backwards and trust the rope and make it down safely. Having some
      > gear to practice with also helps -- a harness, a bit of rope,
      > webbing, biners, etc. so you're not getting used to any equipment in
      > the wild.
      >
      > And of course, hiking with somebody like Bo leading the group, you
      > really learn a lot as well! :)

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • bomabro84738
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4 7:39 AM
        Hey, its pretty useful to know how to lash a case of beer and a
        bottle of wine to the outside of a pack!

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Kurtz"
        <dkurtz@x> wrote:
        > >I think next time Dean, Bo and I are sitting around after a hike,
        talking and such i will have to drag out a rope for knot lessons. ;)<

        > Just be sure it is early on in the sitting around and talking,
        otherwise we might teach you something completely wrong.;-)

        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...>
        wrote:

        > > I got baptized by hanging out with a few climbing friends who
        took
        > > me out several years ago (on some short toprope cliffs). Then
        taking
        > > a basic knots/climbing class, rappelling class, and playing
        around
        > > at the local climbing gym. If you have any climbing school or gym
        > > nearby, that would probably be the best way to play and learn in
        > > safe environment.
        > >
        > > My wife is pretty scared of heights, but after taking a basic
        > > rappelling class, she's able to do all of her own knots and lean
        > > backwards and trust the rope and make it down safely. Having some
        > > gear to practice with also helps -- a harness, a bit of rope,
        > > webbing, biners, etc. so you're not getting used to any equipment
        in
        > > the wild.
        > >
        > > And of course, hiking with somebody like Bo leading the group,
        you
        > > really learn a lot as well! :)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4 7:44 AM
          I have non-alcholic beer for Bo for after he downs a bottle of wine. ;)

          Since you begin AFTER a hike you are usually in good shape. ;p

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Kurtz" <dkurtz@x> wrote:
          > >I think next time Dean, Bo and I are sitting around after a hike, talking and such i will
          have to drag out a rope for knot lessons. ;)<

          > Just be sure it is early on in the sitting around and talking, otherwise we might teach
          you something completely wrong.;-)
        • Neil
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4 8:50 AM
            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com

            This is a good place to start IMO. It's only one day and covers
            everything from knots to basic rappelling. The first half of the
            day you will spend learning about knots and gear and the second part
            is spent actually getting on rope.

            http://www.canyoneering.net/cyn_primer.html

            Neil
          • Jennifer Bliss
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4 10:49 AM
              I love the wealth of knowledge here, thanks to all. I think that I
              will make plans for the one day in Cedar City this summer. I need
              to kind of nose around there some anyway. I've only been there
              once, the Shakespeare Festival this past summer, it was great!! It
              seems like a nice town, I had coffee in one of the shops and looked
              around just a little. Next time I will have to really spend some
              time there!

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Neil"

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4 11:13 AM
                I love Cedar City! I went to college there. :) Have you been to
                Cedar Breaks? I like it better than Bryce Canyon -- I think because
                its quieter, but mostly the colors of the hooodoos. We are planning
                a hike there soon. (I think we are planning a hike everywhere soon
                though lol)

                Rattlesnake Creek Trail (Ashdown Gorge Wilderness Area)

                <http://www.zionnational-park.com/cbbpack.htm>

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Bliss"
                <jltbliss@e...> wrote:

                > I love the wealth of knowledge here, thanks to all. I think that I
                > will make plans for the one day in Cedar City this summer. I need
                > to kind of nose around there some anyway. I've only been there
                > once, the Shakespeare Festival this past summer, it was great!! It
                > seems like a nice town, I had coffee in one of the shops and looked
                > around just a little. Next time I will have to really spend some
                > time there!
                >
                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Neil"
                > <mtngoat59102@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
                > >
                > > This is a good place to start IMO. It's only one day and covers
                > > everything from knots to basic rappelling. The first half of the
                > > day you will spend learning about knots and gear and the second
                > part
                > > is spent actually getting on rope.
                > >
                > > http://www.canyoneering.net/cyn_primer.html
                > >
                > > Neil
              • Jennifer Bliss
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4 12:22 PM
                  That looks like great fun! You guys are giving me so many ideas
                  that I know I am going to have to choose what I am going to do this
                  summer...there will be no way to get it all in two months. I really
                  am going to have to work on getting a job and moving out...anyone
                  got an in with the public school system there? I need a teaching
                  job there bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > I love Cedar City! I went to college there. :) Have you been to
                  > Cedar Breaks? I like it better than Bryce Canyon -- I think
                  because
                  > its quieter, but mostly the colors of the hooodoos. We are
                  planning
                  > a hike there soon. (I think we are planning a hike everywhere
                  soon
                  > though lol)
                  >
                  > Rattlesnake Creek Trail (Ashdown Gorge Wilderness Area)
                  >
                  > <http://www.zionnational-park.com/cbbpack.htm>

                • kol84b
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4 7:03 PM
                    Gee, I thought it was with me in Fat Man's.
                    Cliff

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                    > My first real rap was with Tom Jone's (the same one the photo is
                    from on the home page -
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4 7:13 PM
                      Nope :) Or was it? When did we do Fat Mans? July....???

                      It might have been! -- but I think I had done the class at Paragon???? --- but had not
                      done a canyon yet! You are probably the one I did my first rap with! :)

                      I know with you was the first time I climbed down a knotted rope! With Dean and Bo I
                      climbed up a little ways in Red Cave and this time I knew NOT to slide my hands on the
                      way down no matter what!

                      It was.. it was before I had that fancy, Tom designed, black diamond harness!

                      Its YOU Cliff!
                      (You have to keep me on my toes. The current man I am with is all I seem to have on the
                      mind. lol)

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "kol84b" <kol84b@y...> wrote:

                      > Gee, I thought it was with me in Fat Man's.
                      > Cliff
                      >
                      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > My first real rap was with Tom Jone's (the same one the photo is
                      > from on the home page -
                    • Tom Jones
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4 7:26 PM
                        She said the first REAL rappel, not those tawdry little fore-play
                        kind of rappels in Fat Man's. Besides, would you really want her
                        first time to be (with a) Fat Man?

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4 7:27 PM
                          ~rolling on the floor laughing~