New to group

  • Christopher Meyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
      Hi group, Im new here. I have a problem here in that the wife does
      not like packpacking. Im looking for others to backpack with. I live
      in Vegas and can travel. I would love to find a group that road
      trips to various locations. As much as I enjoy the outdoors by
      myself, I would like some company.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
        Hi Christopher ;) --- welome to the group!

        Hmmmm..... Airline Pilot and Marine...

        I am sure someone in here would want to have you along on a trip. ;)

        What kind of places do you have in mind?

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Meyer"

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
          Thanks, I am up for anyplace. I moved from Denver so I havent hiked
          Zion Yet. I mostly backpaced Colorado, Wyoming and California. I
          want to start hiking UT, AZ and NV. I just bought a new pack after
          12 years out of my old one. I cant wait to use it.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
            I am hiking Rim to Rim (and Ribbon Falls and some other places too) monday-wed, but Its
            not my trip so I cannot invite anyone. It's an all girls thing. It will be my first backpack.
            ~laughing~ I will let you know if I like it when I get back. I might join your wife and let
            you guys sleep out on the rocks alone all night. ;p

            There is no where in the world like Zion!!!!!

            I moved here from Colorado Springs. (dang I hated those flights from Colorado Springs to
            Denver... they were so bumpy!)

            I still need to go and see Bo to get everything I need for backpacking! If you ever need
            stuff Bo runs the Outdoor Outlet in St. George and is an expert (or fanatic lol) hiker,
            backpacker, canyoneer and SAR guy. ;)

            <jetpilotcl65@m...> wrote:

            > Thanks, I am up for anyplace. I moved from Denver so I havent hiked
            > Zion Yet. I mostly backpaced Colorado, Wyoming and California. I
            > want to start hiking UT, AZ and NV. I just bought a new pack after
            > 12 years out of my old one. I cant wait to use it.
          • Jackie Dudek
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
              Hi,

              I just joined hoping to learn a little information to be able to
              make a decision about a trip to Zion.

              Could someone answer a few questions for me? We are looking for a
              place to backpack in mid-March of next year. We were in Zion a
              number of years ago just to day hike but it was in the summer months
              so I'm sure the difference in weather conditions from March to
              August are immense. 2 years ago at the same time we backpacked in
              the Grand Canyon and would like to do something similar again but in
              a different location.

              What is the real weather like there in March?

              Is Zion a feasible place to backpack for up to 5 nights without
              having to just do day hikes?

              Could someone recommend a good book and map of the park for this
              type of trip?

              Thanks in advance to anyone who will respond to my questions. I
              know people usually hate it when someone pops into these type of
              groups to ask for information but its really the best way to learn
              and make an informed decision.

              Thanks again
              Jackie
              from New York State
            • Shaun
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
                Some ideas to consider for a long back pack trip would be in the
                Kolob Canyons section of the park hike the Lees Pass trail head
                towards Kolob Arch & stay at one of the campsites. Then on towards
                the West Rim campsites. Then on to the East Rim Campsites. Total
                length is around 50 miles one way. This can be broken up into three
                shorter trips or any combination. Because this is at higher
                elevation there may be snow, depending on when in March and what
                type of snow pack year the region has had.

                Some other shorter ones to consider would be Right Fork from the
                bottom, Chinle or Coalpits trails, Cannan Mountain (near the park).

                I'll let others give out information.

                good place to look not just this page but the entire site would have
                some good ideas on other backpack potentials.
                http://www.zionnational-park.com/backpacking-zion-national-park.htm

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie Dudek"