Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: hoodoos and slickrock

  • basil lestyk
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
      Not to sound stupid......but, what is the NRA Zone?

      Basil

      JoeB <joe@...> wrote:
      Shane - Yup! The route parallels the "escape route" but is west and
      heads towards the cliffs, rather than into the Barracks. Supposedly
      you can get a good view of the falls since you are west, above, and
      quite close. Even without Ron Kay's guide, it would be a fun area to
      hike around; it's beautiful slickrock country.

      My only concern is skirting the off-limits NRA zone. The route that
      Ray Kay describes appears to be legal, but if you head too far west,
      you will be hitting forbidden territory. Anybody have a map of the
      specific NRA zone borders? -joe

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      www.campingwithnature.com
      Your one stop camp shop for all your camping & hiking needs.

    • basil lestyk
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
        Can ya'll help me? I am a map freak but need suggestion on where to go for Good topo maps of Zion. Good price helps too.

        Thanks
        Basil

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
          Not stupid at all! NRA: Natural Research Area. Several sections of
          Zion are designated as such, which means that people are not allowed
          to enter these areas. Lower Parunuweap Canyon (the far southeastern
          corner of the park) and Goose Creek (tributary of the Narrows) are
          both marked as such. The reasons given are to protect endangered
          species (spotted owls, bighorn sheep) and to preserve an area with
          no human impact. Parunuweap was closed in 1993 and Goose around
          2001. -Joe

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, basil lestyk

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
            Well this isn't a cheap suggestion, but Topo! Utah (~$100) is just
            too cool. All topos for Zion and the rest of Utah in one fairly easy
            to use PC application. Allows you to map routes and see lengths,
            elevation changes, print a specific area etc. It turned this map
            freak into a compulsive map freak! :) -Joe

            <basilmagoo@y...> wrote:
            > Can ya'll help me? I am a map freak but need suggestion on where
            to go for Good topo maps of Zion. Good price helps too.

            > Thanks
            > Basil

          • Shane B.
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
              >>I am a map freak but need suggestion on where to go for Good topo maps of
              Zion. Good price helps too.<<

              JDMCOX Software (http://jdmcox.com/) has an excellent aerial photo and topo
              maps program called "USAPhotoMaps" available online for FREE. The USGS 7.5
              minute topographical maps are also a good alternative. All USGS 7.5 minute
              topographical maps for the state of Utah can be downloaded for free from the
              Utah Division of Water Rights
              (http://nrwrt1.nr.state.ut.us/cgi-bin/quadview.exe?Startup).

              Tom sells some Zion Maps with the routes noted all nice an pretty for a
              small fee (http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/arch/index.htm).

              Shane Burrows
              Climb Utah - Canyoneering & Mountaineering
              http://Climb-Utah.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 28, 2004
                " There are 3 main attractions in Parunuweap Canyon: the old Mormon settlement of
                Shunesburg, the East Fork of the Virgin River, and cliff dwellings."
                <http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~leif/camping/AGuideToTheTrailsOfZion.html>

                I had never heard about the Mormon settlement?