Re: Looking for hiking advice

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
      I am mesmerized with your canyon stuff and have not got past there!
      I want to check out what the wild Shane has in mind for families. lol

      Kanarra Creek? Where is that one?

      We seem to like the same swimming holes ;)

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Burrows" >
      Go to www.climb-utah.com and look under both the Bryce Section and
      > Zion Section. You will be most interested in activities listed
      under
      > Family Fun or Weekend Warrior, your family should be able to do any
      > of these adventures. After that if you have any questions let me
      > know. Within the next week I will be adding a really cool
      waterfall
      > canyon hike (Kanarra Creek) to the Zion stuff that is a great
      family
      > hike.
      >
      > Also the Ghost Town of Grafton is nearby and fun,
      >
      > After you leave the Visitor Center and head east on Highway 9
      towards
      > the tunnel you will encounter a switchback with a parking area.
      Park
      > at the switchback and hike up the creek about 1/4 mile to a great
      > little waterfall and wading area...... or..... keep driving towards
      > the tunnel and at the 2nd switchback park and hike 100 yards down
      > the river for a couple of great swimming holes.... or..... where
      Zion
      > Canyon branches off from highway 9 just park and hike up Zion
      Canyon

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
        Please do!

        Or people will just find the txxxxxxxxxxxt and other such sights that
        copy their same info on everything they do. I think you guys are the
        best. I had to give both you and Shane a link on my technical canyon
        page so people can get real info. My page is just an intro that they
        exist in Zion. You guys have some great information, photos and other
        things. http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-slot-
        canyons.htm

        (Any of you that know what you are doing are free to proof that page!
        I know it needs lots of work!)

        I agree with spending more time in Zion, but everyone should see
        Bryce too and Cedar Breaks! What is fun is to leave Zion and go to
        Bryce via the Grand Staircase! They can hike Lick Wash and Willis
        Creek along the way and have the fun of the backway there. :)

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...>
        wrote:
        > Shamelessly plugging my website, I have a few Zion recommendations
        > as well: http://www.citrusmilo.com/joe/zion/recommend.cfm
        >
        > My first recommendation would be to skip Bryce altogether and spend
        > even MORE time in Zion! That's just my personal bias though.
        (Bryce
        > is nice, but I only have an urge to go there once every ten years.)
        > Zion has several family-friendly day hikes.
      • Shane Burrows
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
          >>We seem to like the same swimming holes ;) <<

          Back in the good old days them thar swimming holes below the 2nd
          switchback were skinny dipping holes........ fun fun fun.

          Shane
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
            When I worked in Zion we called them the Skinny Dipping holes even
            and we did not really skinny dip, but pretty close to it. ;)

            -----But they are far too well
            known now for most people to skinny dip...

            I bet that would not stop wild Shane though ;p

            <shane@s...> wrote:
            > >>We seem to like the same swimming holes ;) <<
            >
            > Back in the good old days them thar swimming holes below the 2nd
            > switchback were skinny dipping holes........ fun fun fun.
            >
            > Shane
          • Shane Burrows
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
              >>But they are far too well known now for most people to skinny
              dip... I bet that would not stop wild Shane though <<

              That is what god invented night time for!

              Last one in is a rotten egg..........

              Shane
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
                Hmmmm.....

                So you are not totally wild. You have a bit of modesty ;)

                <shane@s...> wrote:
                > >>But they are far too well known now for most people to skinny
                > dip... I bet that would not stop wild Shane though <<
                >
                > That is what god invented night time for!
                >
                > Last one in is a rotten egg..........
                >
                > Shane
              • Tom Jones
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
                  The "second switchback" is where the swimming hole is. Easy to
                  remember as it is the second from the top or from the bottom.

                  The pool is springfed, so the level stays much the same, come drought
                  or flood. Can jump into the pool from the rock above, but there are
                  two rocks to hit. Sorry, to MISS! Not too hard, but good to put an
                  adult on each of the rocks, and have the kiddies jump inbetween.

                  Tom

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello Aramis :) Welcome to the group!
                  >
                  > I like to swim in Pine Creek in Zion. To get there park under the
                  > Great Arch on the south side of the Zion Mt. Carmel Tunnel. It is
                  the
                  > biggest of the parking areas on the side of the road along the
                  > switchbacks. There is not a maintained trail, but you will be able
                  > to see where people have walked down to the creek from there when
                  you
                  > look over the edge. It is pretty steep, but it should be safe
                  enough
                  > for those age of kids.
                  >
                  > The water use to be high enough to dive off of the rocks, but I am
                  > not sure how it is with the drought lasting for so long, but you
                  > should be able to swim. (watch for tiny free frogs though!)

                • Tom Jones
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Aramis"
                    <aramis129@h...> wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > My wife, three kids (16-M; 15-F; 11-M) and I are traveling to Bryce
                    > Canyon and Zion for two days in July. Can anyone offer some
                    > suggestions of fun activities to do? We're an active family, but I
                    > wouldn't describe us as "hard-core" hikers, but we're up for
                    hiking,
                    > checking out scenic vistas and any activity that puts us square in
                    > middle of Mother nature.
                    >
                    > Anyone know of cool waterfalls and swimming areas that we can hike
                    > and then swim at.....or anything fun like that?

                    > Thanks

                    Angels Landing, Hidden Canyon, Up the Narrows to Orderville and up
                    that - are usually considered the classics. You can also dayhike the
                    Narrows from the top - 16 miles of fun fun fun.

                    Tom

                    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/index.htm
                  • Tom Jones
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
                      Put a couple things in the Files section you might find useful.

                      Tom

                      <aramis129@h...> wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > My wife, three kids (16-M; 15-F; 11-M) and I are traveling to Bryce
                      > Canyon and Zion for two days in July. Can anyone offer some
                      > suggestions of fun activities to do? We're an active family, but I
                      > wouldn't describe us as "hard-core" hikers, but we're up for
                      hiking,
                      > checking out scenic vistas and any activity that puts us square in
                      > middle of Mother nature.
                      >
                      > Anyone know of cool waterfalls and swimming areas that we can hike
                      > and then swim at.....or anything fun like that?

                      > Thanks
                    • Tom Jones
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1, 2004
                        Actually, a really good hike for you guys would be doing Echo Canyon
                        from the bottom. Non-technical, I hear it is pretty dry right now
                        (though usually there is a pool just up from the entrance), and very
                        cool. About a half-day adventure.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                          Where does the Echo Canyon hike begin and end?

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                            Great info! Thanks.

                            Good idea. I use to go with a wild bunch that would dive off that rock for hours. They are
                            nuts ;p

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > The "second switchback" is where the swimming hole is. Easy to
                            > remember as it is the second from the top or from the bottom.
                            >
                            > The pool is springfed, so the level stays much the same, come drought
                            > or flood. Can jump into the pool from the rock above, but there are
                            > two rocks to hit. Sorry, to MISS! Not too hard, but good to put an
                            > adult on each of the rocks, and have the kiddies jump inbetween.
                            >
                            > Tom
                          • Tom Jones
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                              Starts and ends at Weeping Rock trailhead.

                              http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/index.htm

                              This hike is more properly called 'Middle Echo from the bottom'.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                                How is it different from Observation Point or the East Rim Trails?

                                I went looking for the Echo Canyon trail in march and just saw what is visible along the
                                East Rim Trail. I have a post card though that shows two people standing down in Echo
                                Canyon. I just gave up and thought they climbed down, but if there is a non-technical
                                Echo Canyon hike that is different from the East Rim I would love to know!

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                                  That is where I am headed Sunday! :)

                                  Did not see the link at first with the ad that was on the post.

                                  From your site:
                                  Getting There: Take the shuttle to Weeping Rock and hike up the Echo Canyon Trail toward
                                  Observation Point. About 45 minutes from the road, the trail crosses (and briefly follows)
                                  Echo Canyon. This is where you will leave the paved trail.

                                  Enter the Canyon: eschew the continuation of the trail and head up the canyon. After 50
                                  feet or so, it opens up again, very briefly. No, you're not done yet. Continue up-canyon,
                                  wading through a pool (usually waist to neck deep) and climbing up a short dryfall. The
                                  most difficult obstacles are right here, at the beginning. After surmounting these
                                  problems, the going is much easier.

                                  Continue up canyon. The way is passable for about forty minutes, and leads to the "Echo
                                  Chamber" - a sweeping cavern/slot with excellent acoustics. Enjoy the cool and
                                  comfortable canyon as suits your interest, then return the way you came.
                                  http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/echowalk.htm

                                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones" <tom@j...> wrote:
                                  > Starts and ends at Weeping Rock trailhead.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/index.htm
                                  >
                                  > This hike is more properly called 'Middle Echo from the bottom'.
                                  >
                                  > Tom
                                • Tom Jones
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                                    Here, let me make it easier.

                                    Here is the "LINK":

                                    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/echowalk.htm

                                    Put your mouse over the link - OK, not the actual mouse, the little
                                    thing on the screen that moves when you move the mouse - OK, did it
                                    turn into a finger? - not an actual finger, just the image of a
                                    finger - OK now press the left button on your mouse.

                                    Printout the page, follow the directions.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                                      I was there and it was FREEEEEEEEZING cold water. These fun girls did try to go through
                                      but it was ice cold... it was late march. They were so RED when they got out from the little
                                      bit they went through. lol
                                      photo from there: http://www.eastziontourismcouncil.org/znps.htm

                                      I am so glad to know that Echo Canyon does continue! I wanted to slide down there where
                                      it was more dry, but my friends would not let me go. Dryer section: http://
                                      www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-slot-canyons.htm

                                      I can hardly wait to go. Wait until my friends hear they missed that part too. ;)

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                                        Try and be nice. It will not kill you.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
                                          Here is a photo of the Echo Canyon section along Observation Point, near where it joins
                                          with the East Rim Trail. http://tinyurl.com/2jrxv (I gave the wrong link before)