Re: filtering water in Zion?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
      Here is the statement and link to the article I was wondering about...

      "Camp for the night in grassy Potato Hollow, where there's a reliable water source and
      cliffside tenting overlooking Imlay Canyon, 1,600 feet [488 meters] below."
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0205/zion.html

      I have read the same thing about the water in Zion. In fact even the small towns around
      Zion (as we know from the reports in the paper long after we have been consuming it)
      have the same problem with city water. I do not know if its a serious health problem, but
      I think I will carry my water just in case. :)

      I do know someone that got girardia (sp) from water in Zion years ago. He was not a
      happy guy.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
        Potato Hollow is a good water source if you happen to be on the West
        Rim. But it is not always dependable late in the season - usually
        turns into a little mud pond.

        I'm talking more generally- would you dip your filter into LaVerkin
        Creek or the Virgin River and like it? If there are pesticides and
        other chemicals, I'm not sure that my carbon filter would have much
        effect at making things safer. But I haven't seen any real water
        quality reports for Zion to know if talk of pesticides is a real
        problem or not. -joe
      • wardgrayson@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
          We started out coming down from Lava Point carrying all our water. It
          sure was heavy, as we planned to be out for a leisurely three days
          with a gallon per day. Too heavy in fact: I ended up dumping some in
          short order to ease my overloaded pack.

          I filtered from Potato Hollow. This was my first time filtering and
          it did make me a bit nervous, but it tasted good and I had no ill
          effects. We talked to a few locals who all indicated they filter it
          and have no trouble.

          Still, one can't be too careful. If you can carry it all with you,
          you know you're pretty safe. I'll just need to make my gear lighter.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:
          > I usually travel heavy in Zion - carrying all of the water I need on
          > a backpack trip -- lots of pounds. Does anybody have any knowledge
          > of water quality in many of the creeks? Since many of Zion's main
          > waterflows are downstream from agricultural run-off (cow dung and
          > farming chemicals from the plateau above), I have read many warnings
          > about water quality. La Verkin Creek, the Narrows, Deep Creek, and
          > the East Fork and prime examples. I like drinking filtered water
          > that's a bit more pristine than that. Anybody know if the runoff is
          > a serious health/quality problem? Would YOU drink the water? :) -joe
        • cswalley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
            I employ 2 methods to purify water from streams or any source. Water that is crystal clear can contain bacteria that will mess up your gutts for weeks. First I carry a 0.4 micron filter and pump. I filter all water into a collapsable 3 gal plastic container. Then I boil all that water before using it. I boil the last thing at nite and the water is cool to put in canteens in the morning. Using this double method makes any water source safe to drink. Either is considered sufficient by most experts, but I like using both.
            Clint
            We started out coming down from Lava Point carrying all our water. It
            sure was heavy, as we planned to be out for a leisurely three days
            with a gallon per day. Too heavy in fact: I ended up dumping some in
            short order to ease my overloaded pack.

            I filtered from Potato Hollow. This was my first time filtering and
            it did make me a bit nervous, but it tasted good and I had no ill
            effects. We talked to a few locals who all indicated they filter it
            and have no trouble.

            Still, one can't be too careful. If you can carry it all with you,
            you know you're pretty safe. I'll just need to make my gear lighter.

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote:
            > I usually travel heavy in Zion - carrying all of the water I need on
            > a backpack trip -- lots of pounds. Does anybody have any knowledge
            > of water quality in many of the creeks? Since many of Zion's main
            > waterflows are downstream from agricultural run-off (cow dung and
            > farming chemicals from the plateau above), I have read many warnings
            > about water quality. La Verkin Creek, the Narrows, Deep Creek, and
            > the East Fork and prime examples. I like drinking filtered water
            > that's a bit more pristine than that. Anybody know if the runoff is
            > a serious health/quality problem? Would YOU drink the water? :) -joe

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
              I have always brought the water I need with me. It seems for a 2 day hike that a camel
              pack should carry plenty. Just incase though I am going to check out this procedure.

              Maybe.. I am not much of a cook and it seems
              .. too much like cooking for me ~ maybe lol ;)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
                3 days I would have to give in and "cook" ;)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > I have always brought the water I need with me. It seems for a 2
                  day hike that a camel
                  > pack should carry plenty. Just incase though I am going to check
                  out this procedure.

                  We were going on the assumption that we'd need about a gallon per day
                  per person (this counts drinking and cooking). This proved to be
                  almost exactly right, as our bottles were just about empty when we
                  stepped off the trail. We used various collapsable bladders and such,
                  and they worked out well.

                  It was never hot on this trip... had it gotten hot, we'd definitely
                  have drank a lot more.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
                    Oh yes cooking!!! I try to never do that ;p

                    True, the hotter it get the more water that is needed.

                    I will have to work on my girl scout skills and learn to do the water thing :)

                    Or Joe has a better idea. I can bring a chef :)!

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, wardgrayson@y... wrote:
                    > We were going on the assumption that we'd need about a gallon per day
                    > per person (this counts drinking and cooking). This proved to be
                    > almost exactly right, as our bottles were just about empty when we
                    > stepped off the trail. We used various collapsable bladders and such,
                    > and they worked out well.
                    >
                    > It was never hot on this trip... had it gotten hot, we'd definitely
                    > have drank a lot more.

                  • cswalley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
                      I love fresh perked coffee when I'm out in the wilderness. I carry a small coffee pot that works fine to boil water for mundane food like Top Ramen or Instant Oatmeal, but it is even better at preparing exotic things like Folgers or Maxwell House. The 4000 ft extension cord gets a little heavy.... :<)
                      Ok, all joking aside.... I have taken many 5 to 10 day hikes where it is not practical to refrain from cooking and almost impossible to pack that much water. My simple kitchen consists of the coffee pot, a sierra cup and a spoon. I have a very small stove that burns Coleman fuel and a pint lasts about 7 days. I take a lot of Lipton Noodle or Rice dinners and ignore all the directions except to add the correct amount of water. They are simple, filling and taste great.
                      Clint

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
                        Cooking may sound easy, but it take patience!!!

                        Although hunger might outweight patience ;)

                        I am a postum drinker myself, and it would be difficult to start the day without it :)