48297Re: Pictures- May 2004

  • matt_andersao
    Jul 3, 2010
      Here are some photos of Cave Valley (petroglyphs and from the top of Zion). Obviously climbing to the top of the sandstone at Cave Valley isnt the same as summitting some of the peaks you all are mentioning but you still do get an amazing view from the top!

      http://mattsamazingsouthernutah.blogspot.com/2008/11/cave-valley-pictographs.html

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "matt_andersao" <matt_andersao@...> wrote:

      > In the Cave Valley area there are some cool little climbs plus you can see the pictographs.
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@> wrote:
      > >
      > > RAM, I love to see your kid growing up through these pix! Now a comment and a question.
      > >
      > > Stance in a thunderstorm. When the peak is hit, the current will travel down the surface of the rock - the rock itself conducts poorly, but the surface is wet. Your goal is to avoid touching the surface so there will be significant electric potential between points of contact. Ideally, sit on your pack. Huddle so your feet are as close to your butt as possible, and just hunker down to keep dry if possible. You'll also be presenting a low vertical profile, helped if you are near some taller trees. But better not to be below them, on slickrock or granite, as the charge from a strike to the trees still needs to travel downhill. (if in a cave or overhang, keep a similar posture, don't lean back against the wall, that's what killed the kids on Half Dome).
      > >
      > > Now back to Zion. I'm trying to figure out a good family peak or two for a July morning in the Kolob. NGA is tempting but probably just a bit out of our league, lets be realistic (at least on our own). I'm looking at East Northgate, "Windy Peak", Cave Knoll, (Firepit too, would like to see the crater). Class 3 with some 4 (simple game trail route also fine), route finding pretty good, Any ideas? Let's assume late July, on trail by 7 AM, not super fast travel, views preferred, want to finish any ascents by noon (too hot) but prefer to be out till 2 at least. There's probably a nice combination of things. Or East Northgate and then over to some nice West Rim view (I don't want to be anywhere near the rim in thunder!)

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic