47895Re: GPS Routes

    May 1 1:18 PM
      Haven't bought a hard copy map in years... Note that the great investigation Ried did (as referenced on the GC group) may be out of date - what's available online now is pretty high res. There's plenty of free services - mapper.acme.com is one I use - that take provide a better user interface to the Terraserver data, but there are some places (northern Death Valley) where the maps are skewed as digitized and there is a bunch of error at the seams. Just find the area you want and print.

      There was a recent post over at the GC group, I think by Rich Rudrow, giving a URL for the USGS site which now has digital topos online and free.

      On the GPS thread 1) I've seen someone much more experienced than I make the "wrong datum" error, especially since many GPS units default to the 83 datum and the topos are printed in the NAD27 datum. You also of course really want to learn to use UTM - it's a 1 km grid and in UTM mode the least significant digit on your postion is in meters, so it is close to counting paces.

      But in any place with high relief, especially Zion canyons, your GPS isn't going to work well. And whatever you do, think about the question, what happens if your GPS dies? Can you still figure out where you are? Simply learning to visualize your position - i.e. visualize the terrain based on the contours - is a skill to develop.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic