47889Re: GPS Routes

  • jamesclark9
    May 1, 2010
      So I have been researching a bit on Amazon. I noticed National Geo has a hard copy topo map of Zion. The price seems to vary a bit when I look online. In addition National Geo has TOPO! National Geographic USGS Topographic Maps (Utah) and TOPO! National Parks electronic software that you can print maps from. Neither of these seem to have the extensive reviews that most Amazon.com products have. Does anyone have experience with these items?

      Thank You

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jamesclark9" <jamesclark9@...> wrote:

      > Joe,
      > I have a Delorme 30 GPS unit. I'm going to play around with it on several hikes in my local area to see how it works. It may already have have the trails on the included discs. If not the Delorme website has a membership where I can download alot of maps.
      >
      > What is the best way to purchase topo maps? I browsed a bit on the USGS website, but I figure they can be purchased other places.
      >
      > Thanks for all the advice
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Braun" <joe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi James - Not sure which unit you have, but I bought the electronic maps for my Garmin and it displays all of Zion's official trails right in the display without adding anything else. But call me old school, I wouldn't rely solely on a GPS for navigation. Many people have become disoriented and have entered the wrong canyon by navigating by GPS without referencing a map or compass. Especially for backcountry routes, it's always good to carry a topo map to help you analyze where you are in relation to various landmarks.
      > >
      > > I offer a lot of maps on my site (using the UTM grid to match the NG map and the USGS topos), but I won't offer any electronic version for that reason. HTH, JOe
      > >

      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jamesclark9" <jamesclark9@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello All,
      > > > I just bought a handheld GPS to use during my Zion trip. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. I want to use it to track the places I hiked and to ensure I don't get lost. I was wondering if there were any suggestions about where to download Zion hiking routes?
      > > >
      > > > Thank You,
      > > > James

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic