47138Re: Progeny Peak -- trip report, 360-degree panorama

  • RAM
    Oct 2, 2009
      Joe, the wall does look rather frightening and its lower half is beyond me, but angles relent higher up, even to the point where I see possible other routes up Ant Hill (scary looking). The ledge series in the middle is really only class 3 mostly, with occasional move of class 4, but wow is it airy. I remember being startled by how easy it was to just go a little further...and a little further and....The climb to the col is real 5th class and real consequences. Reversing the ledge is no more difficult than going out on it, if you ever want to play "hear the siren's song" type game. ;-)

      You wrote me asking about West Root Canal or West Twin as the park calls it (I hear anyway). Like Many Pools, its best part is the first half up from the road and worth the wander, with no technical challenges. Not quite as nice as Many Pools. You mention hoodoo's. I recall them also. The upper part has a few pools to deal or climb around and then is brushy all the way up to the East Rim Trail. While there is no spot as thick as the one thick spot in Many Pools, there is more brush overall and the total experience pales aesthetically compared with Many Pools, which is not world class by any stretch of the imagination.

      In the middle of the upper part, one comes to a near 20 foot dryfall that would be very difficult to climb....except for the big tree growing along side it. I do remember that the cliff/tree climb combo left me in some awkward positions, due to branches going in every direction, near the top, but was not dangerous. All bets are off if the tree is gone. Its been a long time for me.

      There are other, shorter falls that must be dealt with and I have rated the place about 5.2 going up, years ago. If one were looking for a loop, up Many Pools down the west fork would be my recommendation and to carry a helmet, a harness, sling and 40 feet of rope. The area offers endless natural anchor options, with the biggest danger getting the rope tangled in the brush. Over all, there are better things to do....like visit the peaks south of the road, like the Triplets, as mentioned in Courtney's book. Courtney felt that there were 4 peaks on that ridge. I called one "a point." While we climbed Aires butte earlier this year, we thought to call his peak #4 "Stillborn."
      Enjoy
      Ram (on his way to the Big ditch)

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bodhijoe" <joe@...> wrote:

      > Ram - Great stuff. When I look at the west wall of "West Root Canal" I see a big imposing wall that is impassible. But I am a mild-mannered hiker... :)
      >
      > Jeff - I'm looking at Ron Kay's route up "Little Tunnel Canyon" now; does his final scramble up to Deertrap match what you did a few years back? (I think you went up the shallow drainage NNW from Progeny?
      >

      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jeff, when I first climbed Progeny (late 80's), I traversed the slopes east of Ant hill and west of the West Twin AKA West Root Canal AKA the canyon west of Many Pools. It was a remarkable traverse on tiny ledges, on steep, but sloping slabs coming east off Ant Hill. When we were even with the col north of Ant hill we ascended via low 5th class slab to the notch. We descended the west side easily (class 3) and connected with the north east ridge (class 3-4?) of Progeny. We descended the south west slopes to the road for a nice tour.
      > >
      > > According to Courtney's book the route up from the road to intersecting my route between The col north of Ant and the NE ridge of Progeny offers little in the way of obstacles and is 0.75 miles long.
      > > Ram
      > >
      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > JoeB, Mojave Ben, when you all were writing about that crack just north of Peak 6641 on JoeB's pano, were you referring to what looks like a V shaped notch to the left of Ant Hill? And if so, I was thinking that you couldn't get up there via a west-east hike from say the pine creek pouroff because of the steepness of the pinkish slickrock below ant hill.
      > > >
      > > > I'm probably experiencing bad recall, but I thought I read of an account once of a harrowing south to north traverse of that slickrock a while back, but maybe it was actually a Ram account of going up and over Ant Hill.
      > > >
      > > > As an aside: directly below the N on Joe's pano is the drainage that Ron Kay uses enroute to Air Force F-111 Crash Site. His route begins near the Short Tunnel. So if you're taking his route either coming or going from rt 9 to the rim you have plenty of opportunity to look over Ant Hill way and ponder how to get up to that elusive area.
      > > >
      > > > I'm still pondering, but perhaps Ram or others have actually wandered over there and could clue us in.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic