47132Re: Progeny Peak -- trip report, 360-degree panorama

  • jeff
    Oct 1, 2009
      JoeB, Mojave Ben, when you all were writing about that crack just north of Peak 6641 on JoeB's pano, were you referring to what looks like a V shaped notch to the left of Ant Hill? And if so, I was thinking that you couldn't get up there via a west-east hike from say the pine creek pouroff because of the steepness of the pinkish slickrock below ant hill.

      I'm probably experiencing bad recall, but I thought I read of an account once of a harrowing south to north traverse of that slickrock a while back, but maybe it was actually a Ram account of going up and over Ant Hill.

      As an aside: directly below the N on Joe's pano is the drainage that Ron Kay uses enroute to Air Force F-111 Crash Site. His route begins near the Short Tunnel. So if you're taking his route either coming or going from rt 9 to the rim you have plenty of opportunity to look over Ant Hill way and ponder how to get up to that elusive area.

      I'm still pondering, but perhaps Ram or others have actually wandered over there and could clue us in.

      - In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bodhijoe" <joe@...> wrote:

      > Great stuff, Mojave Ben! Seems we have been obsessing over the same areas recently. :) So you have your eye on climbing up that crack just north of Peak 6641? (I think that Ram calls this "Ant Hill.") I hiked up the drainage to the east of Progeny last fall with my family--"Small Tunnel Canyon"--and it's a pleasant little hike, just like Upper Pine Creek. There are plenty of climb-out spots on both sides and I have a photo that hints that your little crack to the east may be possible. Mostly bare slickrock slabs sloped downward; it looks doable, but you never know until you're there. The other side of that formation is very tall and too steep and doesn't look like an option for a non-climber like myself.
      >
      > When I was in Small Tunnel Canyon, I scrambled up and out to the west (a bit north of where Michael climbed out) and made my way into that whole slickrock area north of Progeny. We were late for a dinner date, so I was denied enough time to explore more. I remember JeffB writing about scrambling up to Deertrap from that drainage to the north... ah-ha, search for message 42349 in the archives.
      >
      > All good stuff. What's so fun about the east side is that there are so many different destinations and so many different ways to get there. I've got 6 months before I'm back and I know I'll be going insane during winter wanting to get back sooner. :) -Joe
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Awesome pano, Joe, excellent blue sky and good uniform exposure. Fantastic job and it certainly is a wonderfully photogenic place, no? Here is my pano, which is just the south half of yours, from a few feet below the peak (came out nicer than what I shot on the peak)
      > >
      > > http://web.media.mit.edu/~geek/pan/progeny_peak_pano_shrunk.jpg
      > >
      > > Just the other day I was looking at some old photos and recalled my interest in the drainage/basin to the north, shows up half way between N and E in your photo. Starts at the "waterfall" into Pine Creek and heads on up toward the east, looks like you could travel up to the pass between the white tower and the rest of the white later behind and to the ENE of Progeny. It just looks so pretty up there!
      > >
      > > Probably can't get there from Pine Creek canyon; that wall is real steep. Michael shows a lot of routes on the blog you reference. I was thinking of going up above Pine Creek on the E side but not sure you can get by the hump of Progeny without exposure - he shows some of his purple lines but they do not connect. He does show access from the E side up that next drainage, which I figured would go, but was thinking about doing a loop.

> [...]
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic