46396Re: Bo,

  • Clayton Palmer
    Jan 1, 2009
      I usually went across behind the Sousa'a land up the ridge and
      followed the 4 wheeler tracks to just above upper sand wash's
      entrance to the slot. The lower one I went to by crossing near Ed's
      place and taking another 4 wheeler track to near the mouth of lower
      sand wash slot.
      I was asking because I want to come out next spring for a couple
      weeks and try again to get to the higher reaches below Elkheart Peak
      and the main drainage to the east. I have attempted it once but in
      order to follow the east drainage one has to drop into the upper
      wash above the slots and would require a rope to climb back out.
      Thanks for the access to the maps you have tho.--- In
      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738"
      <bbeck@...> wrote:

      > Gary, I (Tanya) got a map from the records office in Kanab a
      couple
      > years ago as we were looking to update our directions for both
      Lower
      > and Upper Red Cave Hikes (Sand Washes on USGS 7.5 Maps). It seems
      that
      > there was no way to access either without crossing private
      holdings.
      > The Sorensons and Taits are the majority landholders along with
      Tanyas
      > family whether approaching from the south, west or north. The
      easiest
      > access to both washes is probably done by getting permission from
      Del
      > Tait in Mt. Carmel, and taking Tait Lane across the East Fork,
      > bypassing the leased aggregate/equipment lot, steering north up
      the
      > hillside then east and finally southeast dropping into Upper Sand
      Wash.
      > A fair chunk uf Lower Sand Wash is held by Sorenson and
      occasionally
      > has a ditch dug across to prevent travel east to the mouth of
      > Lower "Cave" but the county and state has asked that this not be
      done.
      > The BLM has been working on trying to establish easement across
      private
      > holdings to access BLM lands that encompass both Upper and Lower
      Sand
      > Washes all the way to the white cliffs of the Grand Staircase/
      > Escalante NM. I think if you talk to Del Tait it should not
      present any
      > problem for you to access the Washes from Mt. Carmel.
      >
      > Here is a link to Tanyas and my website along with a map and
      > instructions for permission to access. I'm sure that you are
      already
      > aware of the entire area Gary (much more than I) but I thought I'd
      give
      > an explanation for other interested parties as well!
      >
      > http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-red-cave.htm
      >
      > Happy New Year to you Gary! Sounds like a fun festivity going on
      up in
      > Jackson!
      >
      > Bo
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton Palmer"
      > <garyclaytonpalmer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Do you know who owns the land in upper Sand Wash upstream from
      Red
      > > Cave where the wash starts near the White Cliffs and Glendale
      Bench.
      > > ? Is it National Forest or private land.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic