46395Re: Bo,

  • bomabro84738
    Jan 1, 2009
      Gary, I (Tanya) got a map from the records office in Kanab a couple
      years ago as we were looking to update our directions for both Lower
      and Upper Red Cave Hikes (Sand Washes on USGS 7.5 Maps). It seems that
      there was no way to access either without crossing private holdings.
      The Sorensons and Taits are the majority landholders along with Tanyas
      family whether approaching from the south, west or north. The easiest
      access to both washes is probably done by getting permission from Del
      Tait in Mt. Carmel, and taking Tait Lane across the East Fork,
      bypassing the leased aggregate/equipment lot, steering north up the
      hillside then east and finally southeast dropping into Upper Sand Wash.
      A fair chunk uf Lower Sand Wash is held by Sorenson and occasionally
      has a ditch dug across to prevent travel east to the mouth of
      Lower "Cave" but the county and state has asked that this not be done.
      The BLM has been working on trying to establish easement across private
      holdings to access BLM lands that encompass both Upper and Lower Sand
      Washes all the way to the white cliffs of the Grand Staircase/
      Escalante NM. I think if you talk to Del Tait it should not present any
      problem for you to access the Washes from Mt. Carmel.

      Here is a link to Tanyas and my website along with a map and
      instructions for permission to access. I'm sure that you are already
      aware of the entire area Gary (much more than I) but I thought I'd give
      an explanation for other interested parties as well!

      http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-red-cave.htm

      Happy New Year to you Gary! Sounds like a fun festivity going on up in
      Jackson!

      Bo

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton Palmer"
      <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

      > Do you know who owns the land in upper Sand Wash upstream from Red
      > Cave where the wash starts near the White Cliffs and Glendale Bench.
      > ? Is it National Forest or private land.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic