44967Re: Homepage photo

  • Bo
    Jan 18, 2008
      Henk, when we hiked both Steamboat Rock and Cobra Arch I made sure to
      call BLM (St. George and Kanab) and ask if a permit was needed. Both
      times the answer was no.

      We had to access Steamboat Rock through the South Coyote Buttes
      Special Permit Area gate and were told as long as we turned right and
      away from Cottonwood Springs and the South Teepees that we would not
      need a permit.

      There is a register box at the trailhead for Cobra Arch and it has
      nothing written about needing a permit.

      I guess that it would be best to call BLM at Kanab Field Office prior
      to heading out to either of these places, as I know that rules can
      change?

      Bo

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Henk
      <henk.auwema@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure if cobra arch is the the paria canyon wilderness area,
      > but if it is you need a day use permit.
      > Can't find the map of the wilderness area on the BLM site.
      > When I hiked to steamboat rock from the wirepass trailhead
      > I didn't purchase a permit at the registerbox for the paria canyon
      as
      > I was under the impression I didn't need one.
      > I left a note on my windshield that I had left for steamboat rock.
      > When I returned from my hike in the eveening I found a writing
      > that I had to pay the day use permit fee for the paria canyon
      wilderness
      > area.
      >
      > Henk
      >
      > luvs_to_hike wrote:
      >
      > > Cobra Arch does not need a permit.
      > >
      > > I think the permits are $5, yes. If you are just doing a day
      hike
      > > through Buckskin permit are hassle free. You can just get one at
      the
      > > trailhead at the self help station.
      > >
      > > http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm
      > > <http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm>
      > >

      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Clayton
      > > Palmer" <claytongarypalmer@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks tanya, a friend and I may be down that way in May to
      hike the
      > > > areas of the Paria and Buckskin. I have never made it to the
      wave.
      > > > Are the permits to there also $5? And did you say the area
      above the
      > > > buckskin and paria don't need permits like to Cobra arch
      > >
      > > _

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic