43557Re: Information about backpacking zion

  • Christian
    Jul 2, 2007
      Forgot to mention that you should make sure you have plenty of water.
      I went through 4 liters of water between the West Rim Trailhead and
      the head of Phantom Valley. We had to continue down to the west rim
      spring to re-stock our water supplies. It was extremely hot in the
      sun up on the rim between Potato and Phantom.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Christian"
      <nelsonccc@...> wrote:

      > As of last friday (the 28th)Potato Hollow was unusable, with just a
      > slight wet area. The west rim spring was flowing enough that we
      were
      > able to filter over 8 liters of water.
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
      > <ratagonia@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo" <bbeck@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > From West Rim Trailhead at Lava Point the next water source is
      > > > at Potato Hollow on the trail (4 miles), then once again at the
      > West
      > > > Rim Spring (another 2.5 miles, I wouldn't count on it as being
      > > > totally reliable!). This will be the last water source until
      the
      > > > main canyon at the Grotto. Total distance from Lee Pass until
      the
      > > > Grotto....38 miles.
      > > > Have fun!
      > > >
      > > Latest reports are that Potato Hollow is essentially dry and
      > unusable;
      > > while the West Rim Spring continues to maintain a small trickle
      of
      > > pumpable water. Don't know about the one up near the West Rim
      > > Trailhead (Stave Spring?).
      > >
      > > Tom

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic