39600RE: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Technical Question

  • bruce silliman
    May 1 5:40 AM
      And a thanks to you also Steve. The best picture I posted, the one of the
      formations from the car was at about 3pm so it was a nicer photo.
      I need to start taking time to think these things out prior to the shot. If
      I can get it down outside with full light then I can work on shooting in
      canyons, which is a whole new ball game.

      bruce from bruce

      >From: "Steve" <socraticgadfly@...>
      >To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Technical Question
      >Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 06:24:12 -0000
      >
      >In the Southwest, I normally set my camera to underexpose 1/3 stop. (I
      >have my exposure gradients set to 1/3, not 1/2 stop, for more precise
      >control.)
      >
      >Near midday, I'll drop that to 2/3 stop underexposure. If you're using
      >digital, it's easy to bracket exposures, as well.
      >
      >Following up on what other people have said, I see that you have a
      >point and shoot digital.
      >
      >Always have your saturation at +1 above the default. In the Southwest,
      >especially shooting near noon, it should be +2.
      >
      >Next piece of advice; don't shoot between 10am-2pm (11am-3pm in DST).
      >Even with a digital SLR and Photoshopping, there's only so much you
      >can get out of such pictures.
      >
      >Finally, I'm going to recommend a book: "Natural Park Photography," by
      >Tim Fitzhaus. In addition to time of day suggestions like mine, he'll
      >tell you the best seasons of the year to shoot at selected spots in
      >all major U.S. National Parks.
      >
      >Steve
      > >
      > > Take a look at the photos I posted and let me know how to improve
      > > them. They seem to be washed out, colors not vibrant.
      > >
      > > I shot them with manual settings, ISO100.
      > >
      > > Today I'm going to try manual at ISO50 and also auto. Switching back
      > > and forth may give me a better idea. I wonder also if adjusting the
      > > white balance might help.
      > >
      > > I'll some photos later.
      > >
      > > bruce from bryce

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic