Garbage, Plastic Bags, July 4th with OPD, Kingsley Wightman Reme mbered, HIV Scr eening, Dimond Picnic & Free Swim #236

  • Quan, Jean
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
      I don't generally post my newsletter to this list, but the articles under
      #1,6 & 7 may interest you.

      To read this week's edition of Council Member Jean Quan's Weekly Newsletter,
      go to:
      http://www.jeanquan <http://www.jeanquan.org/newsletters/News236.htm>
      .org/newsletters/News236.htm

      To receive the graphic embedded version of this newsletter directly, go to:
      http://www.jeanquan <http://www.jeanquan.org> .org

      IN THIS WEEK'S ISSUE:

      1. Waste Management Update: Who to contact and why

      2. Chabot Science Center Founder & Revered Teacher Kingsley Wightman
      Remembered

      3. Riding with OPD on the 4th

      4. Updates: School Control Bill to Be Heard as Powers Partially Restored to
      School Board, Hwy 13, Mayor's TF, Redwood Park Serpentine Prairie
      Restoration Closure

      5. Citywide HIV Screening

      6. Plastic Bag Ordinance Passes

      7. More Green News: Styrofoam Update, Natural Gas Vehicle Fleet

      8. New Red Light Camera Locations

      9. Bike Patrol Volunteers Needed, Skyline Memorial Ride, New Bikeway, New
      Racks

      10. Dimond Picnic July 22nd, CarShare, Peets, Artists Wanted for Mural and
      Streetscape

      11. Auto Break-ins, Suspect Arrested in Commercial Area Burglaries

      12. Measure Y Violence Prevention Programs: Pathways to Change Profile

      13. Last Chance for Oakland Shopper Survey

      14. Youth News: Trout Fishing, Campfire Sing Along,Harry Potter Events,
      Poetry Readings at the Library, Zoomobile at Libraries

      15. More Community Events: Meet the Authors, Sunday Bandstand Concerts at
      the Lake, Portfest July 28th, Outdoor Cinema, Dedication of Peace at
      Brookdale Park August 11

      16. Summer Street Fairs & Festivals: Woodminster Theater Opens July 13,
      Healthy Living Festival at the Lake July 20th, Laurel World Music Festival
      Aug 11, Sundays in the Redwoods Concerts:

      # Sunday, September 23, Oakland East Bay Symphony
      # Sunday, September 30, World Music
      # Sunday, October 7, Gospel
      # Sunday, October 14, Jazz/Neo-Soul

      Jean Quan, Council President Pro Tempore
      City of Oakland
      1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Fl
      Oakland, CA 94612
      (510)238-7004
    • Gagliardi, Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2007
        Message
        Thanks, Jean!

        I'd like to highlight a couple things from her newsletter, relative to the service disruptions many Oaklanders are experiencing due to Waste Management's labor dispute lock-out of its collection drivers:

        Consider downsizing your brown garbage can:  If you're like me, I can squeeze by one more week with my brown can because so much now goes into recycling or my green/compost can.  After the Lock Out consider downsizing to a "mini" can and save money.
         It might be time to consider composting in the garden.  About one third of our garbage is food scraps and food soiled paper, many Bay Friendly Gardeners compost their food in their gardeners. StopWaste.org will provide discounted Smith & Hawken compost bins or Wriggly Ranch Worm Bins (for apartments) at a discount.  I got one very smug email from a friends who has a compost-worm box in her yard and says she could hold out for weeks!

        Mark Gagliardi
        City of Oakland Public Works Agency
        Environmental Services Division
        250 Frank Ogawa Plaza #5301
        Oakland, CA 94612-2034
        Phone/voice mail: 510-238-6262
        Fax: 510-238-7286
        e-mail: mgagliardi@...
        web site: www.oaklandpw.com
        www.zerowasteoakland.com

        I don't generally post my newsletter to this list, but the articles under