Climate Change Talk on 1/12/10 in SF by Dr. Healy Hamilton, Center for Applied Biodiversity, California Academy of Sciences

  • Gagliardi, Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2010

      From: OrganicsOutOfLandfills@yahoogroups.com [mailto:OrganicsOutOfLandfills@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary Liss
      Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:29 PM
      To: OrganicsOutOfLandfills@yahoogroups.com; crra_members@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: Gary Liss
      Subject: [OrganicsOutOfLandfills] Fwd: You're Invited: Climate Change Talk on 1/12/10 in SF by Dr. Healy Hamilton, Center for Applied Biodiversity, California Academy of Sciences

      fyi

      You're invited to a talk by Dr. Healy Hamilton: "Forecasting climate change impacts to species distributions and the implications for conservation planning."

      Did you know that beetles, barnacles, pikas, pine warblers, and many other species are already being forced to relocate because of global warming? How much more will they need to move, and how quickly, to keep pace with global warming over the next century? Which species will be able to survive our shifting climate? Which may not? And what can we do?

      A new study by a team of scientists, including Dr. Healy Hamilton, director of the Center for Applied Biodiversity Informatics at the California Academy of Sciences, offers some answers to these questions. The Hamilton lab has been developing new methods to forecast climate change impacts to species' geographic ranges so that we can use that information in conservation planning.

      The Center for Biological Diversity is excited to invite to you to hear Dr. Hamilton discuss how her cutting-edge study's results underscore the importance of curbing carbon pollution and provide data for conservationists who must now plan for the impact of global warming.

      When: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

      Where: Center for Biological Diversity, 351 California St., Suite 600, San Francisco (three short blocks from the Montgomery Street BART Station; cross street is Sansome).

      Please RSVP to Climate Campaign Coordinator Rose Braz at rbraz@biologicaldiv ersity.org or call (415) 436-9682 x 319. Space is limited.

      Learn more about Dr. Hamilton's study.

      The Center for Biological Diversity posts new events on our Web site all the time. Check it out here.

      Donate now to support our work.

      This message was sent to gavelgoddess@ gmail.com.

      The Center for Biological Diversity sends newsletters and action alerts through DemocracyinAction. org. Let us know if you'd like to change your email list preferences or stop receiving action alerts and newsletters from us. Change your address or review your profile here.

      Center for Biological Diversity

      P.O. Box 710

      Tucson, AZ 85702

      1-866-357-3349