Feb 4 Think Outside the Bottle in Berkeley; Press conference Feb 11

  • Gagliardi, Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
      East Bay meeting tomorrow at 850 Mendocino Ave in Berkeley. For more
      info contact:
      Alexis Illyn
      Think Outside the Bottle Campaign
      369 Broadway, Suite 200
      cell: 360-518-9094
      415-622-0039 x309
      alexis@...
      http://www.thinkoutsidethebottle.org

      Alexis reports:
      <Our campaign is working to build support (both grassroots and
      grasstops) to gain Governor Schwarzenegger's support this spring for
      stopping the state's spending on bottled water and investing in our
      public water resources. One way we're working to do this is by
      organizing individuals, elected officials, businesses, and institutions
      to take the Think Outside the Bottle Pledge supporting tap water over
      bottled water and supporting public water infrastructure. In addition,
      this spring, we are circulating a sign-on letter to Governor
      Schwarzenegger asking him to cut all state spending on bottled water,
      and calling on him to be a leader in public water infrastructure. I
      attached the letter for reference.

      On Wednesday February 11th, we'll be having our first press conference
      (location: TBA) to announce the letter to the Governor and the support
      we have generated so far.>>

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        I volunteered with TOTB in 2007-08. Good to see it starting up again.
        Government should set a good, sustainable example.

        Recently found these:
        http://www.sierraclub.org/committees/zerowaste/
        http://www.sfenvironment.org/our_programs/overview.html?ssi=3

        Cheers,
        Ken
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          One of the objections I faced when working on the TOB campaign last
          year while tabling at BART stations, was that lower income "people of
          color" (rightly) told me that they were more concerned about crime -
          kids dying - and lack of good jobs (american prosperity c. 1942-72)...

          So if there can be a "green" jobs angle to zero waste, then people
          would be more for it. We have to meet people where they are, and see
          how we can mutually benefit.

          Why is the enviro movement so overwhelmingly white/Rockridge? It's not
          that the issues don't affect poorer or less white communities... they
          just don't see any real action being taken and have more pressing
          concerns... basic needs like housing, jobs, public safety. When those
          are addressed in other communities, they too will have more
          time/energy to work on issues such as zero waste.

          Interesting thoughts on waste and adaptive reuse in mexico...
          1)Greening the Mexico City Dump
          http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/greening-the-mexico-city-dump/ZTA47ZHKNA4VYDOURON31Z1SDLRU

          2)"While human flow mobilizes northbound in search of dollars, the
          urban waste of San Diego moves in the opposite direction, where it is
          used to construct emergency housing in the shantytowns of Tijuana."
          http://www.planetizen.com/node/37222
        • Gagliardi, Mark
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            Re: <<Why is the enviro movement so overwhelmingly white/Rockridge?>>

            Change is coming, & its coming from Oakland-based Ella Baker Center:
            www.ellabakercenter.org

            Check out:

            http://www.greenforall.org/?gfa_splash=1

            www.youtube.com/greenforall

            ***********

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
              If someone of color told me they were more concerned about crime and
              lack of jobs, I would point out that much of the over-packaging in
              foods, including bottled water by Coke and other big bottlers, is aimed
              at those with lower incomes. Part of the movement towards more social
              equity in Oakland is about bringing healthy food and water, instead of
              pre-packaged, mass-market crap, to neighborhoods that don't even have
              grocery stores. Food and water are very basic concerns for all people,
              and the TOB campaign is fighting a bigger issue, which includes
              privatization of public water sources, which affects people of color.

              Whenever I table an event, I try to educate people about how their
              issues are tied into my issues. When you are fighting for fair water
              rights, you are fighting for low income people more than they know.
              Help put these issues on everyone's radar!

              And recycling/reduction/zero-waste is a great way to produce jobs. For
              every 100 tons of material kept out of landfill, another job is created
              locally somewhere in the materials handling field. So if people say
              they don't have the time/energy to recycle, tell them that it puts
              people in Oakland to work! Just ask CiviCorps, which runs a Greenjobs
              training program based on recycling in Oakland.

              Anastasia Nicole