Re: Waste Management contract

  • Christopher Waters
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2008

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Christopher Waters <christopher@...>
      Date: August 5, 2008 3:09:40 PM PDT
      Subject: Re: [OPD] Waste management (Piedmont Ave.)

      I'd like to add some preliminary comments regarding customer service and environmental impact, for the community to ponder for the next three years.

      Prior to Waste Management's exclusive contract with the City of Oakland, Oakland Scavenger, a family-based company passed down from one generation to the next, provided service to the city's residents.  Oakland Scavenger was obsessed with customer service and was a partner with the city in all aspects of their contract. People I have spoken to who worked for Waste Management for years acknowledge that  stock price is  WM's number one company goal.  What we need is to return to a community-based provider, like Norcal, that concentrates on customer service and city partnership.

      The facts speak for themselves:  on the one hand, you have Waste Management, a franchised company; on the other hand, you have Norcal, a non-franchised company, based right in San Francisco, that has food waste service at the majority of the major restaurants in S.F. (and many more, like mine, here in Oakland), as well as hospitals, Oakland Airport,  the Oakland Coliseum and numerous other venues.  We have all privately contracted with Norcal in favor of an arrangement with the City of Oakland's exclusive provider (Waste Management).  There is a reason for this:  Norcal's commitment to recycling and organics recycling.  Waste Management is the largest recycler in America, but that is because they are the largest waste collection entity in America.  They are also the largest owner of landfills in America.  Proportionally speaking, their recycling and composting ratio is dwarfed by Norcal's.

      With a commitment to Zero Waste by 2020 and 75% reduction by 2010, the City of Oakland should not have a contract with Waste Management in 2008.

      Christopher Waters

      On Aug 5, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Christopher Waters wrote:

      Thanks for the clarification.  I look forward to that process and only wish it were coming sooner.

      Christopher Waters

      On Aug 5, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Quan, Jean wrote:

      It was that clear so I was only responding to the strike issue.

      I wasn't here when the last contract was negotiated, Elihu Harris was the
      mayor then but I assume it was bid. We did extend the contracts by I think
      2 years when I was elected because we wanted to have equal recycling
      throughout the city and the new bins and trucks had to be capitalizes. But
      yes, the contracts come up in 3 years and I believe both customer service,
      the scope of the contract, and environmental impact have to be looked at.
      There will not only be open bidding but probably a long look at these
      issues and each firms capacity to fullfil them

      Jean Quan, Council President Pro Tem City of Oakland 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza,
      2nd Fl Oakland, CA 94612 (510)238-7004 http://www.jeanquan .org
      To subscribe to our weekly newsletter:
      http://www.jeanquan .org/news. htm#subscribe
      <http://www.jeanquan .org/news. htm#subscribe>