Please support our "Take Back The Filter" Brita recycling campaign!

  • Beth Terry
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2008
      Hi all. I just want to let you know about a really exciting
      grassroots campaign that I've started with a group of other
      enthusiastic people to urge Clorox (based in Oakland) to take
      responsibility for the millions of plastic Brita water filter
      cartridges that are disposed of each year.

      We're calling it "Take Back The Filter."

      http://www.takebackthefilter.org

      Here are a few facts about the campaign in a nutshell:

      1) The original Brita company in Germany has had a program to
      collect and recycle used filter cartridges ever since 1992. They
      process them in their own facility, separating the materials and
      recycling or reusing them.

      2) The North American branch of the company was sold to Clorox in
      2000. Clorox has not provided any way to recycle these used
      cartridges.

      3) Clorox and Nalgene have teamed up with the FilterForGood
      campaign to encourage people to give up bottled water and opt
      instead for the combo of reusable bottle and Brita filter, to cut
      down the amount of plastic bottle waste. This is a great effort.
      But Clorox has not addressed the plastic waste from the water
      filters themselves, as the Brita company has done in Europe.

      4) We would like Clorox to follow the principal of Extended
      Producer Responsibility and either redesign its filter cartridges to
      be refilled (the best option) or create a take-back recycling
      program, such as already exists in Europe.

      5) Why Brita and not other water filter companies? We are starting
      with Brita because the technology for recycling already exists in
      Europe, Brita is the #1 water filter system in the U.S., and Clorox
      is making a bid for the green consumer at this time with its
      purchase of Burt's Bees and its development of Green Works cleaning
      products.

      What do we want people to do?

      1) Sign our petition (via http://www.takebackthefilter.org)
      2) Send us their used Brita cartridges so we can deliver them en
      masse to Clorox
      3) Write a letter (for those who are truly committed!)
      4) Spread the word

      There is a lot more information at
      http://www.takebackthefilter.org ! Will you please sign the
      petition and spread the word?

      Thanks!
      Beth Terry
      http://www.fakeplasticfish.com
    • Anastasia Nicole
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2008
        That's really rich - that people buy Brita filters (owned by Chlorox) to
        take the Chlorine out of the water that is produced by... Chlorox? But
        Brita filters can no longer take the Chlorine out, because Chlorine is
        no longer used to treat municipal water!

        I don't really understand why people buy Brita filters at all. They
        were originally advertised to remove "99.9% of chlorine and lead" from
        drinking water. But several years ago EBMUD and most other
        municipalities switched to the use of Chloramine to treat water, which
        the Brita activated charcoal filter cannot remove. So the Brita doesn't
        really do much. (Most of us don't have lead in our water.)

        I applaud you on trying to do the right thing, but I think this is yet
        another example of where "reduce"would be even better than "reuse."

        Anastasia Nicole

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 16, 2008
          Hi Anastasia Nicole. I'm totally with you on reducing. In fact, we
          don't use any water filter at all in our house. But this is actually
          a continent-wide campaign... all of North America. People in the
          U.S., Canada, and Mexico all use Brita filters, and every week I
          receive emails from people who read my web site and ask how they can
          recycle their filters.

          Definitely, many people who filter their water probably don't need to.
          But this is a campaign to get Clorox to take responsibility for the
          products they are putting out into the world. So my choice is to give
          up the water filter AND sign the petition!

          Beth

          --- In ZeroWasteOakland@yahoogroups.com, Anastasia Nicole