Home Page Photo

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2010
      What you see on the home page is the first test etch of the middle wellcar for a 53' Maxi IV.

      A Maxi IV consists of three articulating wellcars capable of carrying a 53' container in each well with another 53' container on top, bridge/tunnel clearances permitting.

      Being that most major rail carriers, UP, BNSF, NS, CSX, CN ferry a large amount of 53' containers, I figured we needed them in Z also.

      So, after making this test etch and tweeking the artwork, I will make another test etch, probably next weekend. Depending on how well it turns out, I plan on having a professional etching company etch these in nickelsilver. Why nickelsilver when brass is cheaper? Because nickelsilver is more stout and sturdy than brass is. I've built over 300 of the 48' Thralls and can tell you from experience that nickelsilver should have been the way to go, but at the time price was a big factor.

      Why am I doing this? Because I want to run some near prototypical modern Intermodal consists. Can't do that with 50 million 48' wellcars. Need variety! Need the Gunderson Maxi IV's!!!!!!

      Any questions or comments please post them here!

      Hobo Tim

      p.s. This doesn't mean I will be selling my hoard of MTL Husky's anytime soon!!! Maybe later!!! :)
    • Ed Turner
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2010
        Tim,

        Will you be offering kits for sale if there is an interest for them?

        Ed