Your Intermodal Yard

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
      Ok!!! Here is a topic I hope everyone can keep alive!!

      What is your dream Intermodal Yard?

      Describe it! Tell us what's key about it? If you have already created it in Z, please download photos!!!!

      I'll start with a bit on what I am shooting for!!! I want to create BNSF's Alliance yard just north of Fort Worth, Texas. With that said I have to create the newer versions of container cranes to make it more prototypical than my current Mi-Jacks. I've debated with myself, and it has been a fierce debate (with some punches) but I've not yet decided on whether or not I will include the mixed consist yard across the mainline from Alliance's Intermodal yard. Looking forward to some animation too!!!

      Ok, who's next?????

      Hobo Tim
    • Malcolm Cleaveland
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
        Tim,

        Wow, the Alliance intermodal yard sounds like a huge project. Are there
        any drawings available, or do you have to do it all from satellite
        imagery?

        I think a little smaller (why are we in Z, after all?). My ideal at
        this time is the Amarillo BNSF intermodal yard. It's just 2 stub sidings
        directly off the mainline. One track is used for loading double stacks
        with one Mijack and one Ottawa. The other line is used for storing
        empties or loadin/unloading autoracks. Switching uses the mainline.

        There is parking space for loaded/empty chassis and autos to be loaded
        on autoracks. The manager said, "Welcome to BNSF's smallest intermodal
        yard", and I believe him. But it shows that intermodal does not have to
        be a huge operation.

        CheerZ,
        -- Malcolm Z
      • Kez
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
          Well, I can't provide names or geography, but my intermodal yard would have full operable capability, including Mi-jacks with animation, fork lifts that actually move about and raise and lower containers, and maybe even a container ship that moves in and out of port, all in Z scale.

          You did say DREAM intermodal yard, right?

          ;~)

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
            Bryan,  You stole the words right out of my mouth, especially the DREAM part.  ;-)

            I really like the ports of LA/Long Beach, with LA Junction, the terminals occupying whole islands in the port, etc.

            Randy

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010

              Wow, Randy, is that you posting to Yahoo??  Is that you telling us you're alive?

              Nice to hear from you.  Hope to see you this weekend.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2010
                What Randy is alive? No way!!!

                Hi Randy, we miss you!!!

                Rob

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                www.ztrack.com
                www.ztrackcenter.com
                www.ztrackresale.com
                6142 Northcliff Blvd
                Dublin OH 43016
                (614) 764-1703
              • John Mui
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2010
                  What Randy is alive? No way!!!

                  Hi Randy, we miss you!!!

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  www.ztrackresale.com
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  Dublin OH 43016
                  (614) 764-1703
                • Timothy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
                    Yes, the Alliance will be a handful... Plenty of room for lots of well cars!!! I have searched for photos and have limited quantity, mostly from satelite and from airplanes/helicopters.

                    Now your idea of an Intermodal yard sounds good. I drove thru Amarillo coming here to Arizona. I spent near an hour driving around the BNSF yard taking hundreds of photos. Would have loved to spend a day there, especially if I could get a tour!!!!

                    Let us know your progress!!!!

                    Hobo Tim

                    --- In Z_Intermodal@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

                    > Tim,
                    >
                    > Wow, the Alliance intermodal yard sounds like a huge project. Are there
                    > any drawings available, or do you have to do it all from satellite
                    > imagery?
                    >
                    > I think a little smaller (why are we in Z, after all?). My ideal at
                    > this time is the Amarillo BNSF intermodal yard. It's just 2 stub sidings
                    > directly off the mainline. One track is used for loading double stacks
                    > with one Mijack and one Ottawa. The other line is used for storing
                    > empties or loadin/unloading autoracks. Switching uses the mainline.
                    >
                    > There is parking space for loaded/empty chassis and autos to be loaded
                    > on autoracks. The manager said, "Welcome to BNSF's smallest intermodal
                    > yard", and I believe him. But it shows that intermodal does not have to
                    > be a huge operation.
                    >
                    > CheerZ,
                    > -- Malcolm Z

                  • Timothy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
                      Yes!!! I did say DREAM!!!!! Sounds like it's gonna be a very nice Intermodal Yard. Remember, this is the place to document your progress in creating it. After all, this forum is dedicated to Intermodal Only!!!!

                      Hobo Tim

                      --- In Z_Intermodal@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I can't provide names or geography, but my intermodal yard would have full
                      > operable capability, including Mi-jacks with animation, fork lifts that actually
                      > move about and raise and lower containers, and maybe even a container ship that
                      > moves in and out of port, all in Z scale.
                      >
                      > You did say DREAM intermodal yard, right?
                      >
                      > ;~)

                    • Timothy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 27, 2010
                        Malcolm,

                        Jeffrey White gave me a copy of the March 2010 Railfan & Railroad magazine before I left Georgia for Arizona, since I was going to be travelling thru Amarillo, TX.

                        Once I reached Amarillo, I took a break from the hard driving I was maintaining to enjoy the BNSF sights for an hour. I used the magazine to find all the main yard, but most of the interesting sights were blocked by fences or buildings. I think I saw where the small Intermodal yard was, but not for sure. The front cover of the issue shows what looks to be the Intermodal Yard in the background, but not sure. The inside article shows no photos of this yard.

                        Since you show interest in it, please post more info about it. Any websites we can go to that show the lay of the land?

                        Looking forward to your reply!