Autoracks

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
      Do you consider Autoracks to fall under the label of INTERMODAL?

      Hobo Tim
    • John Mui
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tim, do you remember when we started this group we had disscussion already.
        We desided to include autoracks even though it didnt exist at that time.

        John
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
          I don't remember that John, but I appreciate you telling me. I'm loosing my mind!! Ugh!!

          Ok, Autoracks are Intermodal.

          Who, besides the California BazBoyZ are planning a loading/unloading facility for Autoracks?

          Anyone!!!

          Google Earth and websites similar are great places to see first hand what some of these auto yards look like from above. Even a perspective of the size needed, although selective compression is still a possibility in Z.

          Any comments?

          Hobo Tim

          --- In Z_Intermodal@yahoogroups.com, "John Mui" <jmui@...> wrote:

          > Tim, do you remember when we started this group we had disscussion already.
          > We desided to include autoracks even though it didnt exist at that time.
          >
          > John

        • Malcolm Cleaveland
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
            An autorack loading/unloading facility can be quite small. Just one
            siding with a small yard for parking autos and a variable level ramp that
            looks like it was sired by an automobile transporter. I visited such a
            yard, I think it was in Amarillo, TX. I was amazed at how little
            equipment there was. The people who ran the yard said that the most
            arduous part was emplacing the heavy bridgeplates so that cars could be
            driven on or off the length of the consist. Actually, I think it was all
            off, just deliveries.

            The BNSF intermodal yard in Amarillo is small ("the smallest in the BNSF
            system", a quote from the manager), also. It consists of two sidings, one
            for storage of incoming/outgoing well cars, the other for loading by
            Mijack. There is parking for containers and chassis and an Ottawa (is
            that the name of the little transporter tug?) to move the containers
            around on chassis. The yard is immediately adjacent to the BNSF main line
            and I imagine some or all of the switching moves involve the main. There
            was no switcher that I saw and I forgot to ask, so either they use winches
            or they bring in a switcher from another yard when they need it.

            CheerZ,
            -- Malcolm Z