Updated website!

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 20, 2007
      Today I noticed that Searails has updated it's site again. Was
      thumbing thru the pages when I came to a section that offered RTR
      painted containers!!

      Two 20' painted and decaled

      Two 40' painted and decaled

      Two 53' painted and decaled

      What are your thoughts on these items??

      Here is the link to that webpage!

      http://www.searails.com/intermodal.html

      I look forward to your comments!!

      Tim
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 20, 2007
        On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:23:50 -0000
        "Tim" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

        > Today I noticed that Searails has updated it's site again. Was
        > thumbing thru the pages when I came to a section that offered RTR
        > painted containers!!

        > What are your thoughts on these items??

        I got as far as the price and decided I'll stick to repainting and
        decaling the ones that came on the MTL wagons. Searails make some
        beautiful looking stuff its just not my price range
      • jeffcrist2002
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 20, 2007
          Tim, I am with Alan. Its too expensive for me too. It cost almost as
          much as FR Gunderson car. I still think that your 53' container is the
          best looking container in z scale. How about putting it back into
          production.
        • FR.model@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
            T-Online eMail Tim,

            most probably I'm doing something wrong. I understand my first rate stuff is upper pricing league.
            Finally I ask EURO 2.00 for an injection moulded 40' reefer container undecorated,but EURO 4.00
            for the painted and pad printed container. Believe it or not: My containers do not sell.
            But what league is Searails? If these containers sell I do not longer understand the world.

            Harald

          • Randall Smidt

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                T-Online eMail
                Harald, the problem is probably because most of us dont know about it. I know you could get the undecorated reefers, but I didnt know you could get the decorated ones. It would help is you show it in your web site. Does Uncle Will carry the decorated container?, because I would love to get some decorated containers to go with Tim's Thrall cars.

                John

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                  Yes, I forgot to mention that I would love to get some of these as well, but didn't know you were actually offering them for retail sale.

                  Randy

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007

                    In a message dated 4/21/07 8:14:54 AM, jmui@... writes:

                    I would love to get some decorated containers to go with Tim's Thrall cars.

                    John,

                    Not to worry. Tim and I have something up our sleeves. Decorated containers are in the works. Future offerings of the Thrall will come with containers. We are also considering offering sets of painted and decaled containers separate from the cars. This has been our plan since we first started talking about the Thralls. Hopefully, we will be able to announce more details very soon.

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                    Distributor American Z Line

                    **************************************
                    See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
                  • FR.model@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                      T-Online eMail

                      I have delivered a small bunch of undecorated 40' undecorated reefercontainers for test sales
                      sets of five each.
                      He wasn't very lucky with the sales success and didn't order more of them.

                      Now I'm lucky about all my 1,000 containers are gone with all the Gunderson Husky and Maxi III
                      sales and my stock is empty. But what is 1,000 shots for an injection mould?

                      Harald

                    • Randall Smidt

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                          Randy, I am surprice at you. You usually whow every product they ever produce in z scale. Tim and I ordered some a while back from Uncle Will. Tim has decals for them.

                          John

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                            T-Online eMail  "Randall Smidt" <randy@...> schrieb:
                            Offered to who for sale, Anthony?  I didn't know they were available.

                            How do we get some of these before they are all gone?

                            Thanks,
                            Randy

                             Sorry, I've forgotten to mention. I've sent a few packs of
                            five each to uncle Will.

                            Harald
                          • Randall Smidt
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                              John, I knew they existed.  I just didn't realize that they were still available or how to get them easily.

                              Randy

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                                Ok, topic of the original message has dis-appeared.

                                A few people have commented. Any others?

                                ==============================

                                Harald, you are doing nothing wrong with selling your containers.
                                You have brought a 40' container to Z scale that did and still does
                                not exist with any other manufacturer, not even the RP Acrylic
                                manufacturers. Great call on making the 40' Reefer!!!!

                                However, what Z scale Intermodal needs is not more 20' or 40'
                                containers. We need 45', 48' and 53' containers made from Injection
                                Plastic. Take your pick, Standard Height or Hi-Cube, Smooth side,
                                rib side, or external post. All are a desire!!!

                                Now, if you have another 1000 of your 40' Reefer containers made,
                                may I suggest offering them in painted/pad printed packs through Z
                                scale Monster or even exclusively Ztrack.

                                Evergreen, NYK, K-Line, Maersk, APL, CN, GE Seaco, Hamburg Sud,
                                Hanjin, Hapag-Lloyd, Matson, OOCL, P&O, Trans-America, and
                                Uniglory.

                                I have photos of 40' reefer containers from all of the above names.
                                I can say that I'd rather own a painted and pad printed container
                                than one that has been decaled. Too much care has to be taken not
                                to mess up the decals. This is just some suggestions!!! You could
                                even take a poll to see which containers would be prefered to
                                others.

                                ===============================

                                Randy, John is right. He and I bought some of the container packs
                                that Uncle Will has/had. I think John just bought the last set. I
                                have my reefer containers from the Maxi III set and also from the
                                Uncle Will. These reefer containers are spectacular. They
                                definitely need to be released where the masses of Intermodal Z
                                scalers can get them.

                                **GuyZ we can grow Z scale Intermodal**

                                Look at the N scale forum on Trainboard and follow all of those guys
                                who are into Intermodal. Also,
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/modelintermodal/
                                has some very serious intermodal modelers both in HO and N scales.
                                The potential to grow Intermodal in Z scale is great, and could
                                possibly pull some of those N scalers to our side from the Dark
                                Side!!!!! Use the Force!!!!

                                Z scale Intermodal has the potential, the potential to grow by leaps
                                and bounds....

                                We have a nice start with the available well cars and flat cars,
                                containers and other odds and ends. What do we need? As cool as RP
                                Acrylic is, it is expensively overpriced, as apparent in Searails'
                                container RTR's, and is very brittle. Etched metals, cast resin and
                                especially Plastic Injection is the best bets. We just need more!!!

                                ==============================

                                Thanks for listening to me rant and rave!!!

                                Hobo Tim
                              • Alan Cox
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                                  On 21 Apr 2007 08:15 GMT
                                  FR.model@... wrote:

                                  > Tim,
                                  >
                                  > most probably I'm doing something wrong. I understand my first rate
                                  > stuff is upper pricing league.
                                  > Finally I ask EURO 2.00 for an injection moulded 40' reefer container
                                  > undecorated, but EURO 4.00
                                  > for the painted and pad printed container. Believe it or not: My
                                  > containers do not sell.
                                  > But what league is Searails? If these containers sell I do not longer
                                  > understand the world.

                                  Well its the first I knew about your containers. I'd happily order 30 pad
                                  printed containers at 4 or 5 euro each if I knew where/how.

                                  Alan
                                • Kez
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                                    I didn't know they existed for sale outside of the Husky and Maxi sets. I would
                                    definitely buy some if they were easily and readily available for sale from one
                                    of our upstanding online retailers.

                                    Any pictures?

                                    Bryan

                                    > John, I knew they existed. I just didn't realize that they were still
                                    available or how to get them easily.

                                    > Randy
                                    >
                                    > John Mui <jmui@...> wrote:
                                    > Randy, I am surprice at you. You usually whow every product they
                                    ever produce in z scale. Tim and I ordered some a while back from Uncle Will.
                                    Tim has decals for them.

                                    > John

                                  • John Mui
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 21, 2007
                                      Bryan, the Crowley is a FR reefer.

                                      http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showphoto.php/photo/31590/ppuser/3970

                                    • FR.model@t-online.de
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 22, 2007
                                        T-Online eMail  "Tim" <sgt_tim1@...> schrieb:

                                        Now, if you have another 1000 of your 40' Reefer containers made,
                                        may I suggest offering them in painted/pad printed packs through Z
                                        scale Monster or even exclusively Ztrack.

                                        Evergreen, NYK, K-Line, Maersk, APL, CN, GE Seaco, Hamburg Sud,
                                        Hanjin, Hapag-Lloyd, Matson, OOCL, P&O, Trans-America, and
                                        Uniglory.

                                        I have photos of 40' reefer containers from all of the above names.

                                        Tim,

                                        the photos are not the major problem. I can take them easily at the Rostock
                                        harbour overseas container terminal. This is a few kilometers awy from me only.
                                        But do you also have the  permission of all those container companies
                                        to print their protected trade mark at any stuff such as model containers?

                                        I don't want to fight with lawyers about this peanuts.
                                        A few years ago Sam Berliner, III supplied me the permission
                                        from Atlantic Container Lines (ACL) in New Jersey.
                                        These containers I can print. I can also use older, not longer
                                        actual trade marks such as "Conrail Quality".

                                        For me it is more practicable to sell these containers
                                        undecorated or at least painted only. Light grey, white
                                        and silver are the most common colors for reefers.

                                        I would like the idea of selling painted unprinted containers at an
                                        American retailer who can offer them together with your (Tim's) decals
                                        as one item. So the customer does not need to buy from several sources
                                        to get his containers complete. I understand air brushing is not
                                        everyones matter but with applying decals no Z-scaler should be
                                        demanded too much.

                                        Another problem is printing trade marks of several colors.
                                        Making one color only is affordable even for smallbunches.
                                        But printing multi color needs one print step each for the colors
                                        at each side. This is affordable for bunches of a few hundredonly.
                                        Otherwise I would meet the Searails pricing. Printing multicolor
                                        decals is one print step only with an alps-printer.

                                        Harald

                                      • Jim Manley
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 22, 2007

                                          GreetingZ Fellow InterYodelerz,

                                          I hate to say it, but you guyZ need to think waaaaay more outside the box ... er ... container.  While single containserZ are nice, we also want stackZ ten-high, 10 deep, and 50 wide for our intermodal yardZ, and even at $2.00 or €2.00 (gulp - I want a tiny plastic box, not to fill the tank in my Hummer! :) none of us can afford the $10,000 ~ $20,000 that would cost at current manufacturerZ priceZ.  What we need are the pieceZ to build either individual containerZ or stackZ of them WITHOUT THE UNNECESSARY INTERIOR SIDEZ/TOPZ/ENDZ/BOTTOMZ.  I see I have gotten your attention - please read on.

                                          Rather than injection mold a container as a single piece containing all of the sideZ/top/endZ, and a separate bottom piece (or, as some have done, the bottom is integrated with the sideZ/endZ, and the top is separate) manufacturerZ should mold sheetZ of sideZ, endZ, topZ, and bottomZ, with or without pad printing/painting.  The individual panelZ needed to build single containerZ would be molded in the sheets with score lines on the back/inside of the sheetZ to make them eaZy to cut/break apart, either singly, or in multiple pieceZ (for building smaller stackZ, including double-stackZ for well carZ, etc.).  Additionally, the back/inside of each piece in the sheetZ would have molded-in interlocking nubZ/pinZ/toggleZ that can be snapped together at right angleZ to form the little container boxeZ of any arbitrary height/width/depth.  It might be necessary to use plastic cement/CA glue to achieve the strength needed, in which case the nubZ/pinZ/toggleZ would act to align the cornerZ/edgeZ of the pieceZ.  To build a big stack, you would separate the number of pieces from each side/top/end/bottom sheet by the number of rowZ and columnZ you need for the width/height/depth of the stack desired.  You then snap/glue the subsheetZ together at right angleZ to form the desired siZe stack.

                                          SheetZ could be produced for the various container typeZ and siZeZ (e.g., rib/smooth-sided, reefer/non-reefer, loafer/non-loafer (just checking to see if you've gotten this far :), 20-foot, 40-foot, 48-foot, 53-foot, etc.  SheetZ could either be all one style, or mixtures, and sheetZ could also be painted and pad-printed with the colorZ and logoZ of the various railroadZ, either all the same for one sheet (except for reporting markZ), or a mixture of those that would frequent a given yard.  For thoZe on a discriminating budget, and/or like to do their own thing as much as possible, undecorated sheetZ should be available.  Container SheetZ should be available in various colorZ of injection-molded plastic corresponding to the colors for prototype containers, and if Container SheetZ are made of another material, such as etched brass, they should be available pre-painted in those prototype colors.

                                          To protect my ineffectual property, this proposed product, Container SheetZ, is hereby declared patent pending for the purposes of the date of original art, and memberZ reading this post are hereby deputiZed as witnesses in fact.  I will be offering extremely liberal licenseZ to all manufacturerZ to ensure the cost of resulting productZ are as low as possible to all Z scale collectorZ and operatorZ (license payment could be made in terms of lifetime all-I-can-eat sampleZ of productZ based on this idea, for example :)  I am patenting this implementation to ensure that some manufacturer doesn't run off try to do the same thing, and then charge beaucoups buckZ for the resulting productZ.  BesideZ, thinking up these ideaZ causeZ headaches for me that are much larger than Z scale, and I need to make sure that my medical expenses are covered for such work-related injuries and illnesses ;)

                                          OK, I've done my part, now, it's time for the manufacturerZ to do theirZ.  Show meeee ... Container SheetZ!  DING-DING-DING-DING-DING!!!  Please send your eternal gratitude and admiration, preferebly in a form that can either be eaten, and/or used on a Z scale layout!

                                          All Z BeZt,
                                          Jim

                                          P.S.: For the last person who may not have heard, I finally got to fly my first helicopter solo flight a week ago Friday, the 13th (no less! :) of April.  I am one very happy little propeller-head, as this means that "Dad" (aka my flight instructor) will now give me the keys to the quarter-million-dollar helo so I can go out and fly on my own.  The FAA will be announcing Temporary Flight Restrictions in your local airspace when I come to visit, somewhere, sometime, when you're least expecting it, when you hear from somewhere above, "Smile!  You're on Candid Camera!"  I just lovvvvve doing that to the young ladies sunbathing on their roofs who are going for that "all-over" tan ;P

                                        • Alan Cox
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 22, 2007
                                            On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:06:38 +0000
                                            Jim Manley <jim_manley@...> wrote:

                                            > GreetingZ Fellow InterYodelerz,I hate to say it, but you guyZ need to think waaaaay more outside the box ... er ... container.

                                            Let us all know when you've got the masters made and your product is out
                                            in this format.

                                            Alan
                                          • jeffcrist2002
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 27, 2007
                                              Harald, Uncle Will doesn't have anymore containers. Do you still have
                                              some more on stock, and do you have some that are decorated.

                                              Thanks

                                              John

                                              --- In Z_Intermodal@yahoogroups.com, FR.model@... wrote:

                                              > "Randall Smidt" <randy@...> schrieb:
                                              > Offered to who for sale, Anthony? I didn't know they were available.
                                              > How do we get some of these before they are all gone? Thanks,
                                              > Randy
                                              >

                                              > Sorry, I've forgotten to mention. I've sent a few packs of
                                              > five each to uncle Will.
                                              >
                                              > Harald

                                            • Randall Smidt
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 27, 2007
                                                Yes, I'm interested in either decorated or undecorated, too.

                                                Thanks,
                                                Randy