Those Slow Months of the Year!

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2006
      Hello Everyone!

      It's been a bit slow in this group lately! It may be slow, but we
      are still alive!

      I have been having some problems with the resin I am using to cast
      my Mi-Jacks. I just opened a new set of bottle yesterday and I
      noticed the part A resin is cloudy inside. When part A is cloudy,
      the casting actually bleeds a clear oily liquid once hard. I
      contribute this to resin that has been exposed to air or has gone
      past it's exp. date. Both of these causes don't hold true here. I
      recieved this resin from Micro-Mark on Friday. The expiration date
      is 08/07. Neither of the usual causes are to blame. Please forgive
      me for taking so long in constructing the Mi-Jack RTR's.

      I will contact Micro-Mark on Monday and request another set of cast
      resin. Really ticks me off when this happens. The oily bleeding is
      what happened to the first set of bottles I used to start the Mi-
      Jack project. Exposed too long to air. Damn!

      Next project to be made after the Mi-Jacks are completed are 20'
      Tank containers. I hope to eventually have 4 different styles to
      coincide with the 4 main styles in intermodal operations across the
      world. Stay Tuned!

      I want to thank all of you for sticking in there! We hope to have
      new Intermodal news coming soon.

      Update: This is nearing mid-October. Harald Freudenreich in
      Germany is about to release his 2nd CSX Maxi III's. Earlier he
      posted a message about having 5 available kits of the Maxi III's at
      that time. Well, I am here to tell you, if you were one of the
      lucky ones to reserve a Maxi III kit, I hear this week they will be
      ready for shipping! Go Harald!!!!!! Please contact Harald for more
      information of the Maxi III's.

      Word of mouth! I heard recently that Joe D'Amato at Micro-Trains
      slipped the tongue and said soon that MTL would be releasing another
      Gunderson Husky. What does this mean? Will it be a different paint
      scheme? Will it be a Fallen Flag paint scheme or a more modern
      paint scheme? Will it be a 3rd release of TTX? I can't answer it
      cause frankly, Joe didn't say. I am sure they will release more
      info soon. Let's all bug Joe to see if he will tell us what the
      paint scheme to expect will be! Come on Joe!

      Ok, last note before I close this message! Very soon MTL will be
      releasing those long awaited Turnouts! Please use safety when
      installing these on your layouts. Make sure that all rigging is
      properly inspected and that under no circumstance is anyone allowed
      under the turnouts when the crane swings them into place! :)

      Have a wonderful day/week!

      Hobo Tim
    • Randall Smidt
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
        Tim,  Have you tried experimenting with any methods for keeping air out of the containers, sealing the containers from air once sealed and even vacuuming out air once they are sealed?  I have seen a number of tricks over the years,but can't remember them off hand.  You might try doing a search for getting air out of paint jars, that seems to be the context I saw the tips for.

        Also, might check with John Bartolotto for sources for resin.  i seem to remember that he had found a less expensive source for resin than Micro-Mark, but it might have required larger quantities.

        Randy

        Tim <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
        Hello Everyone!

        I have been having some problems with the resin I am using to cast
        my Mi-Jacks. I just opened a new set of bottle yesterday and I
        noticed the part A resin is cloudy inside. When part A is cloudy,
        the casting actually bleeds a clear oily liquid once hard. I
        contribute this to resin that has been exposed to air or has gone
        past it's exp. date. Both of these causes don't hold true here. I
        recieved this resin from Micro-Mark on Friday. The expiration date
        is 08/07. Neither of the usual causes are to blame. Please forgive
        me for taking so long in constructing the Mi-Jack RTR's.

        I will contact Micro-Mark on Monday and request another set of cast
        resin. Really ticks me off when this happens. The oily bleeding is
        what happened to the first set of bottles I used to start the Mi-
        Jack project. Exposed too long to air. Damn!

        Hobo Tim
        .

      • jeffcrist2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
          Tim, I wonder who order the other two sets of Maxi IIIs. I know that
          you and Randy order one. I order one, so that is three out of the
          five. Just wondering.

          John

          --- In Z_Intermodal@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > slipped the tongue and said soon that MTL would be releasing
          another
          > Gunderson Husky. What does this mean? Will it be a different
          paint
          > scheme? Will it be a Fallen Flag paint scheme or a more modern
          > paint scheme? Will it be a 3rd release of TTX? I can't answer it
          > cause frankly, Joe didn't say. I am sure they will release more
          > info soon. Let's all bug Joe to see if he will tell us what the
          > paint scheme to expect will be! Come on Joe!
          >
          > Ok, last note before I close this message! Very soon MTL will be
          > releasing those long awaited Turnouts! Please use safety when
          > installing these on your layouts. Make sure that all rigging is
          > properly inspected and that under no circumstance is anyone
          allowed
          > under the turnouts when the crane swings them into place! :)

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
            Randy,

            I have a can of Extend-It from Micro-Mark, but it is more for
            preservation of RTV rubber than resin. Can't hurt to try.

            It's just weird that the Part A resin turned cloudy on me in half a
            day! Not right!

            I can say this about John Bartolotto's resin. It smells nasty! I
            got a set of those containers and chassis's just for the decals. I
            was so turned off by the metal castings I broke them into tiny
            pieces and the containers smelled so chemically I thru them away. I
            have a set of old resin I got free from another manufacturer.
            Smells the same. Never used it! Never Will!

            If I casted more items I would buy gallons of it from Smooth-On.
            They make the same white resin that Micro-Mark sells for about the
            same price. I have samples and if I didn't know better, I'd say
            Micro-Mark's resin supplier is Smooth-On.

            Go to Smooth-On's website and order the sample's kit. Awesome info
            and samples of resin and rubbers. Very informative! Very!!!!!

            Progress slows as a massive head cold attacks me. Taking meds for
            it but still feeling major lathargic-ness. Is that a word? ugh! is
            a better way of putting it. Yes, Ugh!!!!!!!!

            Will post more later!

            Looking forward to FR's Maxi III kits! I wonder if I should paint
            them BNSF swoosh or like FR's BNSF? Hmmmmmmmmm!!!! Decisions-
            decisions!

            Some time ago I finally finished painting and decaling a second set
            of 7 Gunderson Husky's. That makes 14 BNSF Swoosh Husky's I have.

            I have a total of 49 Gundersons right now.

            1-Florida East Coast
            1-TNT'z Logo'd
            1-FR TTX
            27-MTL TTX
            14-MTL BNSF "Swoosh"
            5-FR Maxi III BNSF

            That is my small supply of Intermodal minus Spines and Flats.

            Bottom line is, I need more Husky's!!!! :)

            Maybe Soon!

            Man I need a job bad!

            Have a wonderful week!

            Hobo Tim

            --- In Z_Intermodal@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

            > Tim, Have you tried experimenting with any methods for keeping
            air out of the containers, sealing the containers from air once
            sealed and even vacuuming out air once they are sealed? I have seen
            a number of tricks over the years,but can't remember them off hand.
            You might try doing a search for getting air out of paint jars, that
            seems to be the context I saw the tips for.

            > Also, might check with John Bartolotto for sources for resin. i
            seem to remember that he had found a less expensive source for resin
            than Micro-Mark, but it might have required larger quantities.

            > Randy

          • jm
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
              Tim, becareful with those cold medicenes. The cure could be worse then the
              disease. I only take them at night, and I only take them when I cant sleep
              because of the cold. They really knock you out.

              In regards to my Gundersons, I have 17 of them.

              2 FEC
              4 TTX
              1 TTX repainte with FR decals
              1 CP
              1 SP
              2 BN
              2 BNSF repaint wiith the Swoosh logos
              1 TTX FR looks like a early release
              1 BN FR
              1 BNSF FR
              and the pride of my intermodal fleet
              1 CSX FR

              But there is more on the way. Tim is building 3 of the FR kits for me, and I
              also have a FR Maxi III kit on the way. I almost forgot, how's all those
              containers goen to be unloaded without a Mi-Jack. Well, I will have my
              Mi-Jack soon after years waiting for one.

              John