Bad day on the waters

  • Yoav Be
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2010

      Monday, May 31, 2010

      http://israelisoldier.blogspot.com/2010/05/bad-day-on-waters.html

      Bad day on the waters

      Idiots. We are just idiots. I just heard about the incident on the “Mavi Marmara” ship, and I am outraged. I hope you’ll forgive me for not putting too much thought into carefully planning this post, but I just want to share with you what’s driving me crazy about the whole thing (even in this list form):

      1.       “Tzadik Ve-Ra Lo” - This saying comes from the Gemara and it translates to something like “Righteous and suffers” meaning someone who is good but gets treated badly in return. This is exactly what we are seeing here: Everyone in the navy worked so hard to ensure that no protester will get hurt, that they didn’t even think what will happen if those so called “peace activists” will turn  out to be terrorists. Those soldiers were sent down on that ship with paintball guns!They were only allowed to open fire when one of the soldiers was thrown 30 feet down, and suffered serious injury to the head. We did everything in our power to ensure that no one got hurt - and what do we get? A lynch! Closely followed by the international press and media lynch. The ships that weren't violent didn’t suffer a single casualty. The media seems to forget that. The media seems to purposely hide the footage of the soldiers giving medical treatment to the violent hoodlums that have attacked them just minutes earlier.

      2.       Hubris - As a commander I am embarrassed to see what the SEALs did. It’s just plain stupid. So the intelligence told you there won’t be heavy resistance. So what? Since when is the intelligence right? When a commander decides to send his soldiers one by one into a mob, there is something seriously wrong with his judgment. You must always think of the worst possible scenario. The SEAL’s commanders certainly didn’t do so, and by that they violated their most fundamental obligation to their soldiers: to do the very best to get them safely home. There is only one thing to cause such thing - Hubris. There are so many non-lethal solutions to this situation (flashbangs, tear gas etc), and no one thought to use them?

      I have a close friend serving in the SEALs (whom we call “Shin 13”), and I got to talk with him on the last few days. The thing that troubled him most was the possibility that someone innocent might get hurt. He didn’t know there would be no innocent people on the deck of “Mavi Marmara”. I still haven’t heard from him. I pray that he'll return back home safe and sound. I would appreciate it if you do the same.

      Yoav B.

      p.s.
      A good quality and close-up video showing that every bit of information released so far by the IDF on the flotilla incident is accurate - It is easily visible that the guns held by the soldiers are paint guns (if you ever saw one, you will recognize the big tank containing the paint balls), that no shots were fired either before or well into the boarding of the vessel, that the soldiers lives were clearly in danger and that a soldier was pushed from the top deck to the one below. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaiMjAULWn0&feature=player_embedded