Re: More Shonomen Yuri

  • what is a dooky <spookydooky@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
      > Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
      > preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
      > as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
      > for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
      > ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
      > Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

      I've been mistaken for a woman... I think the 'chan' thing does it. I
      included it initially as a diminutive (yeah, I know it's ungrammatical
      to use a suffix in your own name ^_^) I'm starting to drop it now,
      though. One of my fics was reviewed recently, and both of the
      reviewers thought I was female. One of them has known me online for
      three years! They were full of apologies after I told them I was male,
      but I took the whole thing as a compliment. After all, I write mostly
      female characters, and a significant number of shoujo-ai
      relationships, so if somebody can still think I'm female after reading
      my stuff then I must be doing something right. Erica's correct- you
      can usually tell the gender of the writer (at least in fanfiction
      ^_^), and this is something I've worked hard to overcome. Not that
      there's anything wrong with being, or even sounding male, it's just
      that I'd much rather have a neutral voice. I make no secret of my
      gender, but I just don't want it to be a huge determining factor on my
      work.

      As per the alias thing... as you can probably guess, dooky is not my
      real name ^_^ I suppose I use an alias because in my everyday life,
      I'm not a writer or artist. I'm a scientist, and these interests are
      pretty separate by definition. George Hutcheon is the scientist, and
      dooky is the writer/artist. This may well be indicative of some major
      psychological condition, but it works for me ^_~

      dooky
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
        At 08:20 PM 02/02/2003 -0800, Shannon Stricof wrote:
        > Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing
        >an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

        Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My name
        without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to stop the
        gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but that
        would take up too much header space.

        There was a Johanna Chua (no relation) in my sister's graduating class in
        high school.

        At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
      • Trixterpriest@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
          > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
          > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a
          > priority of mine.

          And I have to say, a damn good one ;p

          Kun
          ----'-,-{@

          *does a little lesbian sex dance*
        • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <cjchua@m...> wrote:

            > Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My
            name
            > without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to
            stop the
            > gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but
            that
            > would take up too much header space.

            You could go by J. Conrad Chua.

            C. Richard Davies.
          • Eleanor Stevens
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
              --- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

              > At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
              > --

              *Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
              Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
              ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
              named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

              =====
              ~Tita

              "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

              http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Johann Chua
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                At 06:26 PM 02/03/2003 -0800, Eleanor Stevens wrote:

                >--- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:
                >
                >> At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                >> --
                >
                >*Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                >Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                >ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                >named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                The universe does have a sense of humor.

                "Joanne" was on the Shoujo ML; your mom wrote "Joann" on the money order.
              • Shannon Stricof
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003

                  "Remember even God has a sense of humor, look at the platypus" (The Dogma opening credits).

                  -Shannon Ami, just cuz I felt the need to add in my 2 bits

                   Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

                  The universe does have a sense of humor.

                  Do you Yahoo!?