Re: [Yuricon] More Shonomen Yuri

  • Shannon Stricof
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003

      Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

      -Shannon Ami

       Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

      I get mistaken for female when I'm using my real name, so I guess a
      _deliberately_ feminine-sounding nickname is likely to make people think
      the author is female.

      Used to use Fuuma Monou as my e-mail nickname but I always used my real
      name in the signature.  I use Fuuma on ff.net, where I was accused of being
      a "lesbien" over my St. Tail yuri lemon.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • what is a dooky <spookydooky@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
        > Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
        > preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
        > as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
        > for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
        > ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
        > Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

        I've been mistaken for a woman... I think the 'chan' thing does it. I
        included it initially as a diminutive (yeah, I know it's ungrammatical
        to use a suffix in your own name ^_^) I'm starting to drop it now,
        though. One of my fics was reviewed recently, and both of the
        reviewers thought I was female. One of them has known me online for
        three years! They were full of apologies after I told them I was male,
        but I took the whole thing as a compliment. After all, I write mostly
        female characters, and a significant number of shoujo-ai
        relationships, so if somebody can still think I'm female after reading
        my stuff then I must be doing something right. Erica's correct- you
        can usually tell the gender of the writer (at least in fanfiction
        ^_^), and this is something I've worked hard to overcome. Not that
        there's anything wrong with being, or even sounding male, it's just
        that I'd much rather have a neutral voice. I make no secret of my
        gender, but I just don't want it to be a huge determining factor on my
        work.

        As per the alias thing... as you can probably guess, dooky is not my
        real name ^_^ I suppose I use an alias because in my everyday life,
        I'm not a writer or artist. I'm a scientist, and these interests are
        pretty separate by definition. George Hutcheon is the scientist, and
        dooky is the writer/artist. This may well be indicative of some major
        psychological condition, but it works for me ^_~

        dooky
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
          At 08:20 PM 02/02/2003 -0800, Shannon Stricof wrote:
          > Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing
          >an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

          Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My name
          without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to stop the
          gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but that
          would take up too much header space.

          There was a Johanna Chua (no relation) in my sister's graduating class in
          high school.

          At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
        • Trixterpriest@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
            > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
            > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a
            > priority of mine.

            And I have to say, a damn good one ;p

            Kun
            ----'-,-{@

            *does a little lesbian sex dance*
          • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <cjchua@m...> wrote:

              > Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My
              name
              > without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to
              stop the
              > gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but
              that
              > would take up too much header space.

              You could go by J. Conrad Chua.

              C. Richard Davies.
            • Eleanor Stevens
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                --- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

                > At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                > --

                *Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                =====
                ~Tita

                "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

                http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Johann Chua
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                  At 06:26 PM 02/03/2003 -0800, Eleanor Stevens wrote:

                  >--- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                  >> --
                  >
                  >*Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                  >Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                  >ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                  >named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                  The universe does have a sense of humor.

                  "Joanne" was on the Shoujo ML; your mom wrote "Joann" on the money order.
                • Shannon Stricof
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003

                    "Remember even God has a sense of humor, look at the platypus" (The Dogma opening credits).

                    -Shannon Ami, just cuz I felt the need to add in my 2 bits