Re: [Yuricon] More Shonomen Yuri

  • Shannon Stricof
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003

      Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

      -Shannon Ami

       Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

      I get mistaken for female when I'm using my real name, so I guess a
      _deliberately_ feminine-sounding nickname is likely to make people think
      the author is female.

      Used to use Fuuma Monou as my e-mail nickname but I always used my real
      name in the signature.  I use Fuuma on ff.net, where I was accused of being
      a "lesbien" over my St. Tail yuri lemon.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • what is a dooky <spookydooky@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
        > Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
        > preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
        > as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
        > for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
        > ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
        > Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

        I've been mistaken for a woman... I think the 'chan' thing does it. I
        included it initially as a diminutive (yeah, I know it's ungrammatical
        to use a suffix in your own name ^_^) I'm starting to drop it now,
        though. One of my fics was reviewed recently, and both of the
        reviewers thought I was female. One of them has known me online for
        three years! They were full of apologies after I told them I was male,
        but I took the whole thing as a compliment. After all, I write mostly
        female characters, and a significant number of shoujo-ai
        relationships, so if somebody can still think I'm female after reading
        my stuff then I must be doing something right. Erica's correct- you
        can usually tell the gender of the writer (at least in fanfiction
        ^_^), and this is something I've worked hard to overcome. Not that
        there's anything wrong with being, or even sounding male, it's just
        that I'd much rather have a neutral voice. I make no secret of my
        gender, but I just don't want it to be a huge determining factor on my
        work.

        As per the alias thing... as you can probably guess, dooky is not my
        real name ^_^ I suppose I use an alias because in my everyday life,
        I'm not a writer or artist. I'm a scientist, and these interests are
        pretty separate by definition. George Hutcheon is the scientist, and
        dooky is the writer/artist. This may well be indicative of some major
        psychological condition, but it works for me ^_~

        dooky
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
            At 08:20 PM 02/02/2003 -0800, Shannon Stricof wrote:
            > Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing
            >an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

            Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My name
            without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to stop the
            gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but that
            would take up too much header space.

            There was a Johanna Chua (no relation) in my sister's graduating class in
            high school.

            At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
          • Trixterpriest@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
              > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
              > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a
              > priority of mine.

              And I have to say, a damn good one ;p

              Kun
              ----'-,-{@

              *does a little lesbian sex dance*
            • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <cjchua@m...> wrote:

                > Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My
                name
                > without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to
                stop the
                > gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but
                that
                > would take up too much header space.

                You could go by J. Conrad Chua.

                C. Richard Davies.
              • Eleanor Stevens
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                  --- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

                  > At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                  > --

                  *Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                  Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                  ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                  named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                  =====
                  ~Tita

                  "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

                  http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Johann Chua
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                    At 06:26 PM 02/03/2003 -0800, Eleanor Stevens wrote:

                    >--- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                    >> --
                    >
                    >*Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                    >Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                    >ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                    >named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                    The universe does have a sense of humor.

                    "Joanne" was on the Shoujo ML; your mom wrote "Joann" on the money order.
                  • Shannon Stricof
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003

                      "Remember even God has a sense of humor, look at the platypus" (The Dogma opening credits).

                      -Shannon Ami, just cuz I felt the need to add in my 2 bits